Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I took a chance on 86-87 fleer packs...would you have? UPDATE Jordan showing!!

I couldn't pass up the opportunity at this price....I might lose my a*s but it was too tempting. I'm on my phone so if someone could fix the link that'd be great

Item #321513678068
It never leaves you...

Comments

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Kind of random stuff for sale overall, if they're picked over I doubt this seller is the one that did it

Good luck on them - how about a rip thread once they arrive? image
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    yeah, he has such random stuff, it actually could be legit unopened. Cornerwear seems to be in the right spot, although a side or back picture would have been great. it definitely has a shot of being good. i'm ok with the risk here.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Link

What are the other packs??
  • Options
    1980-81 Fleer basketball packs. It appears they go for the 5-7 range so I'm gonna be into the 86 packs for about 100 each. I'll have them in the next couple days so we shall see
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1980-81 Fleer basketball packs. It appears they go for the 5-7 range so I'm gonna be into the 86 packs for about 100 each. I'll have them in the next couple days so we shall see >>

They're worth $500-800 each if they're legit. It would be pretty cool if you got lucky. How are you going to determine their authenticity?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sure hope this dirnt happen......

Shipped wrong cards but kept communication and gave full refund back
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, the front of the packs look clean in the scan. No back scan definitely limited the bidding, too.

I believe that if you open the packs it will be apparent if they are legit as 86-87 BKB packs are strictly sequenced.

I don't collect BKB, but I knwo some here do know sequencing down pat.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1980-81 Fleer basketball packs. It appears they go for the 5-7 range so I'm gonna be into the 86 packs for about 100 each. I'll have them in the next couple days so we shall see >>

They're worth $500-800 each if they're legit. It would be pretty cool if you got lucky. How are you going to determine their authenticity? >>

I'd determine authenticity of these packs by ripping. Good luck!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I'd have taken that plunge as well. You gotta rip away. Best of luck!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    hilarious auction, and probably worth the risk/reward at that price. nice pickup.
  • Options
    Just to follow up...got the packs today and all of them are rock solid, perfect roller marks and even better condition than I expected. Probably 8's at worst and probably 9's. Best part is that one has a Jordan sticker showing and the other has Magic. As tempting as it is to get them graded I don't think I wanna wait that long considering the wait times that have been floating around of late. My first instinct is to have them BBCE wrapped. Any thoughts on what I should do?
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    BBCE may authenticate them by wrapping BOTH of them together in shrinkwrap. Not sure if they are still doing this or not. May want to contact them and see if they would do that for you. Typically the authentication fee is 5% of market price.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    btw...congrats that the packs turned out nice. It was a bit of a gamble in my opinion, but it paid off for you. Congrats!
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I would send them to Steve at BBCE and ask for his opinion on their authenticity. He may not wrap them (because of his contract with PSA), but if he thinks they're real I would invest the time into getting them graded by PSA.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, personally, those stickers would be a bit of a red flag to get you NOT to open the packs. I would submit them to PSA because if authentic that would provide your greatest return value. I don't believe Steve will wrap individual wax packs anymore, due to his contractual arrangement with PSA, though I could be wrong about that. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For me, personally, those stickers would be a bit of a red flag to get you NOT to open the packs. I would submit them to PSA because if authentic that would provide your greatest return value. I don't believe Steve will wrap individual wax packs anymore, due to his contractual arrangement with PSA, though I could be wrong about that. Good luck! >>

I think he will wrap the pair. I know I had to jump in with a second '75 mini the last group buy so that I could get them wrapped. I did, so the 2 packs are wrapped together.

Edit: to add that I think he will state that a Jordan sticker is showing and that I completely agree these should stay closed. Of course they are your packs and the more that get ripped, the more valuable mine becomes. Enjoy it either way.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Pictures or it didnt happen...
  • Options
    I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I agree with Grote here. If I were you, I would be asking myself "Why did I see the Jordan sticker but the seller didn't?" You REALLY don't think the seller checked before selling do you?
  • Options
    The seller wasn't experienced with sportscards at all. If you look at the listing he doesn't even know what he had. I'm a veteran when it comes to packs and these are as legit as they come. I'm not worried about the authenticity one iota
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    PSA all the way. Congrats on the pickup.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller wasn't experienced with sportscards at all. If you look at the listing he doesn't even know what he had. I'm a veteran when it comes to packs and these are as legit as they come. I'm not worried about the authenticity one iota >>

I dunno. For someone that isn't experienced with sportscards at all, he sure is selling and buying an awful lot of them
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dunno. For someone that isn't experienced with sportscards at all, he sure is selling and buying an awful lot of them >>

If he was experienced in sports cards he would have at least mentioned there were two $500 packs in the lot.

This was a novice seller who had some very nice items and didn't even know it.

Send the packs to Steve and see what he says.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I dunno. For someone that isn't experienced with sportscards at all, he sure is selling and buying an awful lot of them >>

If he was experienced in sports cards he would have at least mentioned there were two $500 packs in the lot.

This was a novice seller who had some very nice items and didn't even know it.

Send the packs to Steve and see what he says. >>

This is very true. And that's also why I think it was worth the risk by the buyer. The auction would've looked/been completely different if the seller would have been more knowledgeable.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Rip the non Jordan pack and post the cards in sequence and that will determine if you should send in the Jordan pack to me.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    As mentioned. The packs are good. I've been handling packs for over 20 years. It's more about how long I feel like waiting, cost, resale etc. I'm not very patient but if it's gonna be worth a few hundred more it may be the way to go
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA all the way. Congrats on the pickup. >>

^^^^^^^

If the Jordan pack gets a 10 your looking at thousands of dollars. It may take awhile but PSA is the way to go.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Man, this would be a huge score if the packs turn out legit. Congratulations!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BBCE may authenticate them by wrapping BOTH of them together in shrinkwrap. Not sure if they are still doing this or not. May want to contact them and see if they would do that for you. Typically the authentication fee is 5% of market price. >>

From what I understand, Steve will not authenticate packs in any way due to his contract with PSA. I have a few packs of the 86/87 Fleer and when I sent some other stuff to him, he told me that he was not able to authenticate individual packs
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good score.
    Others have faked this pack.
    Interesting video fake jordan sicker pack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw_tzPMfEnM
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As mentioned. The packs are good. I've been handling packs for over 20 years. It's more about how long I feel like waiting, cost, resale etc. I'm not very patient but if it's gonna be worth a few hundred more it may be the way to go >>

If you're impatient, send the packs to Steve Hart. If he says they are good, I'll send you $1000 and Steve can send the packs to me. I'll keep the Jordan one and rip the other for the board to see.
  • Options
    Spoke w Steve. He indeed is not doing single packs so off to PSA they go tomorrow. Hopefully it will be quicker now that they have the new holders. Btw, the gum is tight so there won't be any issues there either
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 23477695 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 Fleer Basketball Wax Pack Wax Pack Johnson Sticker-Back Pack
    1 2 23477696 NEAR MINT 7 1986 Fleer Basketball Wax Pack Wax Pack Jordan Sticker-Back Card

Something must have happened during transport as the Jordan was a better looking pack that the other but at least they're authentic
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    44 business days for anyone who's keeping track on pack turnarounds
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Congrats...a pretty nice score regardless of number grades. They are authentic!

To help with the math...this is how I would look at it...
    Cost: $250 purchase + $90 grading fees (estimate) = $340
    Current Value: Jordan Pack estimate $800 + Johnson Pack estimate $600 = $1,400 less 10% cost to resell = $1,260
    Profit: $920

Of course, that doesn't count Raulsmaster's time spent on the packs. I'd value his time at $299/hour. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

You took a shot and hit a HR!

I like when this happens.
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats! Nice to see a board member do well on raw packs from eBay!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    You should open the Magic - pull a Jordan RC out of that and you can improve your return

When are you ever going to get a chance at that again realistically?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should open the Magic - pull a Jordan RC out of that and you can improve your return

When are you ever going to get a chance at that again realistically? >>

Or to sleep with a Portegues waitress?? image
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    DAMN, I NEED TO TAKE MORE CHANCES!

Congratulations.

fwiw and to answer your original question. I wouldn't have bought the packs. I'm a scaredy cat.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should open the Magic - pull a Jordan RC out of that and you can improve your return

When are you ever going to get a chance at that again realistically? >>

That's not a bad idea considering the other pack covers all his costs, etc... plus some. It's basically a free rip, plus I really want to see him hit.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.