Home Sports Talk

Will the Bears retire #33?

I've been thinking about this today. Any thoughts?

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been thinking about this today. Any thoughts? >>

Who?
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Who? >>

Charles Tillman?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan. Who was #33?
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who? >>

Charles Tillman? >>

Right-- Charles Tillman. It's a strange case, because while his career probably doesn't merit it I know he's revered by the Bears fan base.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Bears decided to stop retiring numbers, so that potentially opens the door for a more liberal system of honoring those deemed to be All Time Bears, which Tillman absolutely is.

I suspect we'll get some confirmation on this from the advanced metrics sites in the coming days (PFF, perhaps), but Tillman was criminally underrated and mislabeled as a Cover 2 system CB, only able to tackle and punch-strip the ball. Tillman frequently shadowed Calvin Johnson and other #1 WRs with great success, only playing one side once Tim Jennings came into his own. He's been All Pro, and seeing who else got Pro Bowl nods ahead of him during his peak is high comedy (lots of gambler speed cover corners, one hit wonders). He's got every humanitarian award and is known to be a top notch human being here in Chicagoland. He was one of the three guys at the core of a defense that was good (occasionally great) for 10 years, a much longer run than the more revered Bears defensive units from the past.

His best comps are Charles Woodson and Antoine Winfield due to their nose for the ball, ability to cover and tackle, and being at the top of the position in the NFC through the last 10+ years. Woodson was a savvy pass rusher from the slot in that Capers system while Tillman was less prone to getting burned for big plays. Woodson is more decorated and had a higher peak, so Tillman stays in his shadow, career-wise. DeAngelo Hall is more decorated but hurt his team as much as he helped them, and is sort of the opposite of Tillman in every significant way.

His ability to strip the ball is transcendent. It's a skill born of league rule changes, Lovie's zone-cushion system, and opportunity. Tillman is SMART, and he developed this skill that everyone playing that position ought to have, but doesn't. We'll look back at him as being way ahead of his time in this regard.

In terms of where he sits in terms of Bears history, he's at the top of the Defensive Backs list (Red Grange played all over so it would be weird to call him DB).