Home Sports Talk
Options

Oh no, the Ray Rice fall-out is imminent!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Women are going to boycott the NFL!! image Now that's what I call social progress.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Does not bode well for the husband who wants to shirk the Sunday home improvement project to watch a game or two.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Women are going to boycott the NFL!! image Now that's what I call social progress.

Al H. >>

Maybe some men will boycott too!?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what are hundreds, if not thousands, of other companies, corporations, and partnerships doing to punish the tens of thousands "domestic abusers" that work for them? I'm outraged and will need to boycott everything and everyone.
  • Options
    so what are hundreds, if not thousands, of other companies, corporations, and partnerships doing

I have thought the same thing.
  • Options
    the US has gone PC crazy, with willing participants lining up to do as the media directs them to do. Anyone else hear that flushing sound?
  • Options

<< <i>the US has gone PC crazy, with willing participants lining up to do as the media directs them to do. Anyone else hear that flushing sound? >>

PC crazy? Ray Rice knocked his lady out. The league should punish someone who knocks their lady out I think. If that's "PC crazy" then call me crazy.
  • Options
    PC crazy

nothing I ever did outside of my Job was ever punished by my employer unless it affected my ability to be at work or my performance once I was at work.
  • Options

<< <i>PC crazy

nothing I ever did outside of my Job was ever punished by my employer unless it affected my ability to be at work or my performance once I was at work. >>

work performance is secondary these days. What matters is what you post to Twitter, Facebook, and other social media.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I have a feeling millions of people didn't pay a lot of money to watch you do your job every week. That is why your employer didn't suspend you for any felonious assaults you may have committed while under their employ.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    has there been some civil/legal action taken or charges brought as a result of what happened??
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a player becomes a PR liability then poof they need to go. Football isn't a sport its business. Rice , Peterson etc. are cogs in a machine. Replaceable sacks of meat

Not sure about Rice but as far as Adrian goes , isn't there a big crony capitalist stadium deal at play in Minnesota? I think the team is trying to soak the rubes up there for half of a new stadium and they probably don't want a lot of bad PR. Defending a child beater doesn't really help with that.

• Options
    The fact is, these billionaire owners are each running a business. Their employees and their salaries are secondary, in the owner's eyes, to their bottom line. When employees or their legal troubles begin to negatively impact the owner's finances, that is when owners make a decision. Trying to frame this in any other context confuses the situation. Not coincidentally, the league in question is the only one of the major sports leagues that has gotten away with not even giving guaranteed ”contracts” to its players, when in fact, they are the athletes whose careers are shortest and whose lives are most negatively impacted by their profession.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    anyone can see that from the public and advertising reaction to the Rice and AP cases

I can't speak for the advertisers, but most "fans" I have talked to seem to agree that violence towards women and children is a bad thing that should be punished. they also tend to think that banning the offending players for life is a bit harsh.
  • Options

<< <i>anyone can see that from the public and advertising reaction to the Rice and AP cases

I can't speak for the advertisers, but most "fans" I have talked to seem to agree that violence towards women and children is a bad thing that should be punished. they also tend to think that banning the offending players for life is a bit harsh. >>

Nobody has been banned for life at this point.
  • Options
    maybe it isn't official --- yet--- but it sure seems like Rice is a done deal. the way things are going it looks like him and AP might be throwing a few back together on Sunday afternoons.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the US has gone PC crazy, with willing participants lining up to do as the media directs them to do. Anyone else hear that flushing sound? >>

PC crazy? Ray Rice knocked his lady out. The league should punish someone who knocks their lady out I think. If that's "PC crazy" then call me crazy. >>

There's video and no prosecution - for a reason. While I don't cotton to punching women or people smaller than me, if women want equality they got it in that elevator.
    And there's a reason this is being blown way out of proportion - politics & money. There's a special interest group not getting a taste and they want it. The pressure on the NFL & owners will subside when the $$$ begins to flow in the right, er, left direction.
  • Options

<< <i>There's video and no prosecution - for a reason. >>

This should be good! Please tell us what possible circumstance could mitigate Ray Rice's action?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There's video and no prosecution - for a reason. >>

This should be good! Please tell us what possible circumstance could mitigate Ray Rice's action? >>

The cops / prosecutor called it mutual combatants and decided a nolle prosequi. There's is apparently much more to the video than the edited version repeated ad-nauseam on the tellie.
  • Options

<< <i>The cops / prosecutor called it mutual combatants and decided a nolle prosequi. >>

So we are to believe that he would marry such an abusive woman? she of course had 7 million reasons to wed him.
  • Options
    This should be interesting.

Use your imagination and come up with a few scenarios that occurred prior to the punch (that could have easily killed the woman) that would justify Mister Rice's actions.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

PC crazy? Ray Rice knocked his lady out. The league should punish someone who knocks their lady out I think. If that's "PC crazy" then call me crazy. >>

There's video and no prosecution - for a reason. While I don't cotton to punching women or people smaller than me, if women want equality they got it in that elevator.
    And there's a reason this is being blown way out of proportion - politics & money. There's a special interest group not getting a taste and they want it. The pressure on the NFL & owners will subside when the $$$ begins to flow in the right, er, left direction. >>

So- you think women earn an equal status to men if they get punched out in an elevator?
  • Options

<< <i>This should be interesting.

Use your imagination and come up with a few scenarios that occurred prior to the punch (that could have easily killed the woman) that would justify Mister Rice's actions. >>

Shirley, you believe women deserve equal treatment? Women wanna be in combat units, and have all of the trappings of the glorious life that men lead. She got equality from RR and the prosecutor agreed.

The back story story is that she accused him of screwing some gal with whom he grew-up, kept in touch, were friends, and had dated the gal's friend. The gf beat on him for some time prior to getting in the elevator, and slapped and spit on him in the lift. There are multiple witnesses and earlier video in the hall outside their room. There's no doubt of the goings-on for the police and prosecutor. The doubt created was done with purpose. Both were arrested but it was eventually viewed as mutual combatants, and all charges were dropped.

Generally, cops on the scene of a domestic dispute should investigate and make only one arrest if necessary. Arresting both parties often ends with all charges being dropped as the trial defense becomes "officer, didn't you also make another arrest in this case", and that usually ends in acquittal as the other party is portray as the aggressor.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This should be interesting.

Use your imagination and come up with a few scenarios that occurred prior to the punch (that could have easily killed the woman) that would justify Mister Rice's actions. >>

Shirley, you believe women deserve equal treatment? Women wanna be in combat units, and have all of the trappings of the glorious life that men lead. She got equality from RR and the prosecutor agreed.

The back story story is that she accused him of screwing some gal with whom he grew-up, kept in touch, were friends, and had dated the gal's friend. The gf beat on him for some time prior to getting in the elevator, and slapped and spit on him in the lift. There are multiple witnesses and earlier video in the hall outside their room. There's no doubt of the goings-on for the police and prosecutor. The doubt created was done with purpose. Both were arrested but it was eventually viewed as mutual combatants, and all charges were dropped.

Generally, cops on the scene of a domestic dispute should investigate and make only one arrest if necessary. Arresting both parties often ends with all charges being dropped as the trial defense becomes "officer, didn't you also make another arrest in this case", and that usually ends in acquittal as the other party is portray as the aggressor. >>

This answer seems like a dodge. Do you think Rice's actions in the elevator were justified?
  • Options

<< <i>

This answer seems like a dodge. Do you think Rice's actions in the elevator were justified? >>

I actually gave my view in an earlier post, and why would you care what I think anyways? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This answer seems like a dodge. Do you think Rice's actions in the elevator were justified? >>

I actually gave my view in an earlier post, and why would you care what I think anyways? image >>

What earlier post? I don't see it.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the AP case goes and the related punishment he may receive for his actions. The charge/sentence should be determined by/contingent on the law/statute he violated. Not by the heaping on due to any negative economic impact his actions caused for a particular product. Just because beer sales or car sales drop as a result of this incident is not a cause for a harsher sentence. That should be up to the Vikings front office to mete out that punishment(from the financial fallout). I don't think in the law related to alleged child abuse it states anything about the loss of sales for a private enterprise company as a determining factor in sentencing.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>As far as the AP case goes and the related punishment he may receive for his actions. The charge/sentence should be determined by/contingent on the law/statute he violated. Not by the heaping on due to any negative economic impact his actions caused for a particular product. Just because beer sales or car sales drop as a result of this incident is not a cause for a harsher sentence. That should be up to the Vikings front office to mete out that punishment(from the financial fallout). I don't think in the law related to alleged child abuse it states anything about the loss of sales for a private enterprise company as a determining factor in sentencing. >>

I don't follow- so, are you saying that organizations should not be permitted to punish employess/representatives for any behavior that isn't considered illegal?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I actually gave my view in an earlier post, and why would you care what I think anyways? image >>

I'm still waiting. In which earlier post? I've reviewed them all, and I don't see anythng that speaks to this issue.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow me to dumb this down a bit. I'm not going to overanalyze the hell out of things and grasp for mitigating circumstances. Instead, I'm going to take each scenario at face value and proceed from there.

If a male sucker-punches a female and knocks her out cold, he should go directly to jail without passing Go. PERIOD. I don't care if she started it. I don't care if she catapulted a milky loogie directly in his eye. I don't care if she initiated a scrum by jacking him square in the mouth. Have any of you guys ever been hit by a female? I have, and I'm here to tell you that I didn't even contemplate retaliation. Set aside for a moment the universal notion that you should never -- under any circumstance -- lay a finger on a female in that fashion; conventional wisdom says that the ramifications of such an act will forever be unequal. Newsflash: Ray Rice is target practice for 250-lb linebackers who run sub-4.5s. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he can withstand a punch from a woman. But the moment he loses his cool and reciprocates? All it would have taken is one bad bounce off of that elevator floor and his then-fiancée would have lost her life. Now tell me, just how effective would the tit-for-tat defense have been then?

If you flog your 4-year-old flesh and blood so severely that perceptible marks are left on his scrotum, then the same should apply. Behind bars. And I don't want to hear any of these desperate bs pleas for impunity based on what was done to you as a child. Once again, if you possess such little self-control that you cannot abstain from practically brutalizing your own defenseless child, then you need to go away. All of the good fortune that has been bestowed upon you in this life should be stripped, and you should be placed in a small, quiet area that will allow you ample time to think about what the proper course of action should have been.

And then we have the latest and greatest from Mr. Dwyer, he of head-butting his wife and breaking her nose, punching her the following day and launching a shoe-missile at his infant son fame.

Could someone please send the NFL league office an "It's been ___ days since our last incident" poster?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Allow me to dumb this down a bit. I'm not going to overanalyze the hell out of things and grasp for mitigating circumstances. Instead, I'm going to take each scenario at face value and proceed from there.

If a male sucker-punches a female and knocks her out cold, he should go directly to jail without passing Go. PERIOD. I don't care if she started it. I don't care if she catapulted a milky loogie directly in his eye. I don't care if she initiated a scrum by jacking him square in the mouth. Have any of you guys ever been hit by a female? I have, and I'm here to tell you that I didn't even contemplate retaliation. Set aside for a moment the universal notion that you should never -- under any circumstance -- lay a finger on a female in that fashion; conventional wisdom says that the ramifications of such an act will forever be unequal. Newsflash: Ray Rice is target practice for 250-lb linebackers who run sub-4.5s. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he can withstand a punch from a woman. But the moment he loses his cool and reciprocates? All it would have taken is one bad bounce off of that elevator floor and his then-fiancée would have lost her life. Now tell me, just how effective would the tit-for-tat defense have been then?

If you flog your 4-year-old flesh and blood so severely that perceptible marks are left on his scrotum, then the same should apply. Behind bars. And I don't want to hear any of these desperate bs pleas for impunity based on what was done to you as a child. Once again, if you possess such little self-control that you cannot abstain from practically brutalizing your own defenseless child, then you need to go away. All of the good fortune that has been bestowed upon you in this life should be stripped, and you should be placed in a small, quiet area that will allow you ample time to think about what the proper course of action should have been.

And then we have the latest and greatest from Mr. Dwyer, he of head-butting his wife and breaking her nose, punching her the following day and launching a shoe-missile at his infant son fame.

Could someone please send the NFL league office an "It's been ___ days since our last incident" poster? >>

OMG WE NEED A STICKIE THREAD !!!!!!

Start a thread that says no NFL player has hit a woman or child yet today. The first person that hears of an incident can bump the thread , by the end of a season it will be 20 pages long image

This league is knee deep in Dbags . Other leagues don't have the grip on media that the NFL has and you don't see anywhere near the number of incidents.

What league is second to the NFL in off field incidents? basketball ???

• Options
    Kudos, Galaxy.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's video and no prosecution - for a reason. While I don't cotton to punching women or people smaller than me, if women want equality they got it in that elevator.
    And there's a reason this is being blown way out of proportion - politics & money. There's a special interest group not getting a taste and they want it. The pressure on the NFL & owners will subside when the $$$ begins to flow in the right, er, left direction. >>

That's some pretty nauseating stuff right there.
  • Options
    so, is anyone else dismayed that women may boycott the NFL??image