Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Pop-Report search not user-friendly

If I want to say, see which Randy Johnson RC has the lowest Pop, it's now a monumental pain in the butt. You now have to click on every single card you want to see the Pop of, in increments of only 25, instead of having all the info on all cards on one easy to see page. Great job, PSA. I have wanted changes to their search for a long time, but I wanted it to be better, not much worse.

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree. i like the new columns but that's about it. it's even hard to sort by year. definitely needs alot tweaking.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    So I'm randomly searching Chipper Jones. I type in Chipper Jones. I get a random list of 25 of his cards. That's it. No in-order functionality. Just 25 randomly selected cards from 1990 to 2014. Uh, he has thousands upon thousands of cards graded by PSA, so how on earth do you search anything without knowing EXACTLY what you are looking for? It's senseless. If I type in Chipper Jones 1995, I will get 25 random Chipper cards from 1995. That's it. Then what? You have to click EACH AND EVERY CARD TO GET IT'S POP. It's like they completely destroyed any and all search capability. It's gone. You can only search one card at a time and you have to know EXACTLY what you are looking for, because if you search by year, you better hope and pray the card you are searching for is in the randomly selected 25 they give you, otherwise, you are screwed. Just ridiculous. Whoever green-lighted this change should have their head examined.
  • Options
    I would like to have Joe Orlando or his staff please explain the situation or at least let people know what they are thinking, because the pop report has some issues.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. >>

For myself at least, and likely other player collectors, the full search was used to find oddball items that I wasn't even aware existed.
  • Options
    Kind of what larkin said, you want to find the lowest pop on a rookie card of trout or shaq or someone. Now you have to search every 1992 basketball set for shaq instaed of all 25 or whatever poping up onyour screen at once.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays. >>

People use information to make purchases or just to be informed. What's the lowest Pop Albert Pujols RC? Simple question, should be a simple answer. Now it is virtually impossible to find out. Not every single person only looks up cards they already own and have right in front of their faces or already have info on.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays. >>

People use information to make purchases or just to be informed. What's the lowest Pop Albert Pujols RC? Simple question, should be a simple answer. Now it is virtually impossible to find out. Not every single person only looks up cards they already own and have right in front of their faces or already have info on. >>

Nice!!
  • Options
    What is Ken Griffey Jr.'s lowest Pop rookie card? It's LITERALLY impossible to find that info now, unless you ALREADY know what his RCs are, ALREADY have all the info on each and every one BEFORE you search, and then you have to type in each one individually, then click on each one to see the Pop Report. That's crazy! What used to take a couple minutes can now take 20+ minutes, and that's ONLY if you already have all the info on them, because if you don't, it's literally impossible to do.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays.[/

I searched this way all the time. This change is beyond stupid.
  • Options
    I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays.

It seems as though PSA has made the same faulty assumptions that you did, but you're both wrong. Many sellers and some buyers use the pop report to find every card of a given player. If I have a buyer that pays strongly for Dave Kingman cards, I'm going to want a list of all Kingman cards and their pops so I know which ones are the toughest. That's impossible with the current search, I have to look them up one by one. If I'm a collector just starting a new registry, I'm going to want to see a compiled list of the pops of every one of that player's cards so I know which ones are the toughest; otherwise I'm going to have to pull up the Master List in the registry and look up every card one by one. Hardly an efficient way of doing it when the functionality once existed to see a complete list all at once.

If you want to find the pop on a specific card you just go into the Pop Report > Baseball > 1991 > Bowman and find the Chipper card- that's the way most of us do it. Now they have a search function that is basically just a shortcut way of doing that, which is fine but should've been built as a separate search function instead of a replacement for a really useful tool. Now there's no way of finding the pops of all cards of a given player.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why anybody would even need to search the POP the way you're searching. I would have to think that when most people use the Pop for somebody like Chipper Jones, they're looking for the Pop on one specific card. It sounds like you want to enter Chipper Jones, and then have a list of every Chipper Jones card come up. The old way would take a very long time for the list to come up and then you'd have to page through thousands of cards looking for the one or two cards you want to know the pop on. With the new way, for example if you're looking for the pop on a 2004 Chipper Jones 390, all you have to search for is Chipper Jones 390 and it instantly comes back with that card and all its variations at the top of the list of the 25 it displays.

It seems as though PSA has made the same faulty assumptions that you did, but you're both wrong. Many sellers and some buyers use the pop report to find every card of a given player. If I have a buyer that pays strongly for Dave Kingman cards, I'm going to want a list of all Kingman cards and their pops so I know which ones are the toughest. That's impossible with the current search, I have to look them up one by one. If I'm a collector just starting a new registry, I'm going to want to see a compiled list of the pops of every one of that player's cards so I know which ones are the toughest; otherwise I'm going to have to pull up the Master List in the registry and look up every card one by one. Hardly an efficient way of doing it when the functionality once existed to see a complete list all at once.

If you want to find the pop on a specific card you just go into the Pop Report > Baseball > 1991 > Bowman and find the Chipper card- that's the way most of us do it. Now they have a search function that is basically just a shortcut way of doing that, which is fine but should've been built as a separate search function instead of a replacement for a really useful tool. Now there's no way of finding the pops of all cards of a given player.

Lee >>

For what it's worth I've emailed everyone I've ever dealt with at PSA and expressed this same opinion.
  • Options
    PMKAY -- Thanks, I think a lot of us should express our opinions with the new pop report. Not to be mean but to assist everyone with easier searching.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking more in line of how it would be typically used as a collector, not as a dealer looking for anomalies in pops of certain players and cards for resale purposes. If it's widely used in that manner and PSA didn't limit it due to it using an unusually large amount of system resources then I'm sure the suggestions to bring the old way back will be listened to.
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking more in line of how it would be typically used as a collector, not as a dealer looking for anomalies in pops of certain players and cards for resale purposes. If it's widely used in that manner and PSA didn't limit it due to it using an unusually large amount of system resources then I'm sure the suggestions to bring the old way back will be listened to. >>

I'm a collector and I like to have as much info as possible when buying. I'm not saying this to be snarky, but this flawed search will limit my purchases of PSA graded cards immensely. I like to know what Pops are on a lot of cards and making my search to find that info a pain in the butt makes me want to just spend my money elsewhere. It goes for ANY search. How can you find out which 1960's Mickey Mantle has the lowest Pop without spending a ton of time researching before you do a search. This can only hurt the secondary market, which in turn may hurt PSA's bottom line. Who the heck wants to spend an hour doing searches that used to takes minutes.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If you are going to submit vintage commons and want to know who is low pop and high pop (some guys aren't worth submitting from some late '60s and '70s sets unless they get 10s), the pop report has now become essentially useless to you.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>If you are going to submit vintage commons and want to know who is low pop and high pop (some guys aren't worth submitting from some late '60s and '70s sets unless they get 10s), the pop report has now become essentially useless to you.

Nick >>

You can buy a Beckett yearly, use it as a reference for cards in a set, then type in each individual card from the set you want info on and then write down on paper the Pops on all the cards so you have that info.

So much easier!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are going to submit vintage commons and want to know who is low pop and high pop (some guys aren't worth submitting from some late '60s and '70s sets unless they get 10s), the pop report has now become essentially useless to you.

Nick >>

You can buy a Beckett yearly, use it as a reference for cards in a set, then type in each individual card from the set you want info on and then write down on paper the Pops on all the cards so you have that info.

So much easier! >>

You're joking right?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nick >>

So much easier! >>

You're joking right? >>

Of course I was joking.
  • Options
    I did a search in the hockey section for Connor McDavid...when I clicked on some of the cards of his that came up, the result was "no population". Strange.
  • Options
    Is anything being done about this new, ridiculously terrible Pop search??? I just wanted to find out how many Hakeem Olajuwon Fleer rookies there are in Gem Mint 10; I typed in Hakeem Olajuwon, got 25 random cards from all years (used to show all cards from his first on, in order); next I typed in Hakeem Olajuwon 1986 (used to show all cards from 1986 in alphabetical order), all I got was his 1986 Fleer Sticker and 24 other random cards from all years. This search is absolute GARBAGE and it has me buying less PSA cards because it's impossible to easily search for cards I want info on. WTF???
  • Options
    Tried finding out which Tom Brady 2000 RC has the lowest pop in 9s and 10s. Literally impossible. Good grief.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I just tried to find out what the population is on the 1989 Dominik Hasek Swedish Semic sticker. Can't freaking do it. What is the point of having a POP-REPORT if you can't USE IT??? This is ridiculous.

EDIT - I finally found it. Only took a couple minutes.
  • Options
    Just spoke with obama, he has eric holder looking into this "corrupt population problem". He will reveal his findings before 2018.