Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found a Super clean Peace dollar yesterday.

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sure seems undergraded to me... The luster is amazing.

Comments

• Options
    I agree at least based on your pics. Are you going to send it to CAC? Did you pay 63 money or higher?
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin.

I always have a tough time grading Peace Dollars for some reason, but I think the few scattered hits will keep this one at a 63.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    It was cheap, I'll say that much. The obverse is MS 65 clean for sure.
    The reverse eagle does have quite a few ticks hidden around the feathers and back. They jump out quite a bit more under a loupe.
    I assume that's why it's graded 63. I'm not going to bother with CAC - just appreciate it for the luster bomb that it is.
  • Options
    A 63+ isn't out of the question but it does look a little ticky to be a 64. Strike and luster supports a higher celing though, nice coin.
  • Options
    64, maybe + or a 5, nice coin and holder!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    63???
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks gemmy. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scraps on the eagle limit the grade.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>Scraps on the eagle limit the grade. >>

Likely you're right, however the largest, dark one visible in the photo's is on the slab itself. It's in terrible shape, I need to take some plast-x to it.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ask me, I'm always 2 points off one way or the other when it comes to them Peace Dollars image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it at 63, maybe 64. The value spread between the two is minimal. No sense in trying for a bean or upgrade..... it was marginally worth putting in a slab to start with. All the same, this one looks frosty & lustrous.

The mintage of 1922-P Peace dollars is the largest of any US silver dollar issue. Coins like this one can be found in BU rolls which sell for 3X melt or less.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice but doesn't it bother you a bit how such a coin can remain untoned for..........92 years. How and where does one store a coin so that it doesn't tone? If this befuddles you than it's an obvious dipped/cleaned coin. Just saying, of course but I've seen these, last, a 1927. A beautiful highly lustrous. no toning whatsoever and I asked the owner the same question and have no answer.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go for it

Very nice
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attractive coin!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a common date, with very little spread between 63 and 64. Not sure what the fuss is about.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse has an almost cameo appearance that sets it apart from the pack IMO..
    The hit on the eagle holds it back...
    I think it's a nice find.....,

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

How and where does one store a coin so that it doesn't tone?

...very good question...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    From my experience PCGS is real tough on Peace Dollars. I have a few in low MS grades that should be higher. What are going to do, though. Here are some examples.

MS62?

MS63/

MS64?

MS62?

I could go on.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot tell from the pictures, but you can get a 63 from just having one noticeably deep scratch. I see some stuff on the Eagle, but I am sure it is there somewhere.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice dollars, very nice !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file