Home Precious Metals

Best Places to Sell PMs

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
There is usually a lot of hoopla here as far as buying PMs, but not so much when it comes time to sell. Coins like gold Buffs, Maple Leafs, AGEs are usually sold at a premium [generally around $20-$40 depending on coin and seller] over the same gold in the form of bars or rounds. It is said that that premium is usually recoverable when you go to sell those coins, but I think that is most likely to be true when you are selling to the same customers that the big bullion houses are.

I have found so far that APMEX appears to be paying the highest buy prices. For 1 ounce gold Maple Leafs and AGEs they pay $13 and $28-$30 over spot respectively. Anyone find or know of someone paying more? FWIW, my local B & M pays $10 over on AGEs while a dealer down the road pays $20 over.

The place Only Gold from the list in mrpaseo's sigline pays a measly $12 below spot for one ounce Maple Leafs.

Comments

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    A good topic, I have really only sold once to my local shop. Have no plans to sell in the near future so I've never really thought about it. Maybe I should add a list of places to sell... We'll see how this thread turns out.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A good topic, I have really only sold once to my local shop. Have no plans to sell in the near future so I've never really thought about it. Maybe I should add a list of places to sell... We'll see how this thread turns out. >>

It's just as important to sell smart as it is to buy smart. Of course it also depends on how much you have and if you want quick cash or not.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If your local guys pay $10 & $20 over, they're your guy. That's unheard of around here from a dealer.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Apmex buy back price stated usually for bulk buy backs?

I've been slowly building up a following of like minded friends, and craigs seems like a place to move some (carefully).
    COA
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A man came into the shop about 2 weeks ago. He was trying to sell me gold that he'd purchased on eBay. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he was retired and playing in the gold field by buying it cheap and taking it around to the shops in town to sell it. When he tried to sell me fake gold, I asked him not to return and that our dealings were done.

It nearly gave me PMS… or something. image I guess my testosterone levels are up. Why sell ? It's time to back up the truck and buy it. There's very little market for it except to store it. IT IS A STORE OF VALUE, and hardly a "trading stock" for cash. Well, unless you got the Midas Touch.

<< <i>Isn't the Apmex buy back price stated usually for bulk buy backs?

I've been slowly building up a following of like minded friends, and craigs seems like a place to move some (carefully). >>

Others have said here that APMEX will offer the same terms on less that $10K deals. Best to call tho.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nucleo exchange 1% commision

BD revamped their website recently it's worth looking at
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    I have plenty of PMS around my house and would like to sell some sometimes. As far as selling PMs, that's a different story......

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

<< <i>I have plenty of PMS around my house and would like to sell some sometimes. As far as selling PMs, that's a different story...... >>

Fixed, no more PMS.image
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Somehow I think that he knew well it was fake. How did you discover it was fake?

I'll sell if I can get a bit more to help pay for the exchange into another piece of my liking. Either silver or gold.

<< <i>A man came into the shop about 2 weeks ago. He was trying to sell me gold that he'd purchased on eBay. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he was retired and playing in the gold field by buying it cheap and taking it around to the shops in town to sell it. When he tried to sell me fake gold, I asked him not to return and that our dealings were done.

It nearly gave me PMS… or something. image I guess my testosterone levels are up. Why sell ? It's time to back up the truck and buy it. There's very little market for it except to store it. IT IS A STORE OF VALUE, and hardly a "trading stock" for cash. Well, unless you got the Midas Touch. >>

COA
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for larger sales, I generally go with APMEX at a major show.