Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Politics of grading.

Over the years I have heard a few of the Registry Set players complain about their coins "not making the grade".

While my Washington quarter set "howaboutthesequarters" is only ranked 9th on the current finest list, I am not too concerned about moving up the registry boards. I do like nice high-end coins, but not just to move up the list. Others, however, strive to move up and are apparently convinced that "who" sends the coin in for grading is often times a deciding factor on the ultimate grade. Having seen some of the coins with top pop grades, I too wonder, how did that coin get that grade! Especially if I see much nicer coins with lower grades. For the sake of this discussion, please spare me rancor about grading being an opinion, and all of the other "noise" associated with grading.

Do any of you think that the "who" in the coin submission impacts final grades?

I'll answer first.

Yes, I do believe that it does.....
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    PoppeePoppee Posts: 154 ✭✭
    One always has more influence when working within an organization. Human nature would undoubtably kick in and who submitted could make a difference (especially if I just took you to your favorite restaurant for dinner and drinks). Anyone who has done biz has seen this in action.
    I am sure that PCGS is aware of how important it is to not give this impression of their service. Continuous due diligence is required on their part to assure the rest of their clientele that coins are graded on merit, not relationships.

Just my two cents worth....
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard it been said... the graders do not know the source of the coins? True?
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have heard it been said... the graders do not know the source of the coins? True? >>

That is what I have always heard. I think certain people seem to get those choice grades due to their talent
    and the number of coins they go through to find those high end coins.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you know the series and believe in the coin, you will eventually get it in the right holder. I would like some of those back that I gave up on and found out later they either upgraded or got in the right holder.
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I don't worry about who got what grade. I just enjoy MY own collection of Lincoln cents for what they are. I'm glad that all the coins I've had certified are in PCGS holders because I believe PCGS is recognized as the best in the industry. My participation in the PCGS Set Registry is for fun for me, not a competition against others who I recognize may have superior collections. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    PoppeePoppee Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Well said Steve. image
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you know the series and believe in the coin, you will eventually get it in the right holder. I would like some of those back that I gave up on and found out later they either upgraded or got in the right holder. >>

I take a different tact now, for coins I'm keeping. If I think they are under-graded I send to CAC and if it stickers, I just put it away for later as I know if I take a couple shots at the services eventually they'll upgrade, if it doesn't sticker then I know it's the old, "ownership adds a point" phenomenon image

There are really no politics of grading ... it is what it is ... 2-3 really experienced people's opinion on any given day.

I do it myself. I sometimes look at coins critically, and sometimes liberally, never massively different, but I can sway between an AU53 and a 55 for example, or VG10 or F12...It's never XF40 or AU50, though.
  • Options
    I'm sure you could find all sorts of opinions as to what impact a submitter has or not. Graders are not supposed to know who sent in what unless its pretty obvious like coins needing attribution or special request for regrades. I find it difficult to understand at times why a coin will grade one way and resubmitted again grade another way. Same coin but two or more times and the right grade comes out. I send in coins that are fairly unique and with all the eyes looking to see what I already know what it to be can be frustrating to say the least. The graders look over thousands of coins of all kinds each day so human error is something to expect from time to time. Sometimes a walk-thru at a coin show is to easy to know. Getting back to your original question - I would tend to think that coins are graded without prior knowledge of who sent in what. MWH
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It occurred to me tonight that while coin grading itself is an "art and not a science", coin submitting is more of "a science and not an art". I'll give you one example ...

If you surround your monster quality coin in a large submission with essentially a pile of junk, the likely result is a lower grade for your monster quality coin than if it was submitted in a large group of wonderful coins, one nicer than the next. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that grading, once again, is "an art" and the graders attention will be maintained to a higher level when he/she is reviewing a submission filled with wonderful coins.

There are myriad principles to follow in the "science" of coin submitting. I have probably submitted the better part of one million coins myself over the past 16+ years with PCGS. Many principles have been learned through those submissions. In fact, I could write a book on them all if I wanted to.

Just like there are world class graders in the coin biz and world class experts in a particular coin series, etc., I also believe there are "world class" coin submittors. I know of a few to be sure and I personally work very hard to make sure "my game" is at the highest level possible as well.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one for you to ponder...

I think of myself as an above average grader when dealing with brand new out-of-the-box Roosevelt Dimes. I searched about 3,000+ Dimes to find 10 or so top quality specimens to send in and really believed that I had 10 2008-D's that would grade MS67FB-MS68FB. Here are the last 4 Dimes in that submission:

7 12XXXX77 394930 2008-D 10C USA MS68FB
    8 12XXXX78 394929 2008-D 10C USA MS67
    9 12XXXX79 394929 2008-D 10C USA MS67
    10 12XXXX80 394930 2008-D 10C USA MS64FB
    Total Items: 23
    Date Received: 1/13/2009
    Date Shipped: 2/10/2009

Now how do you suppose that Paul, having collected Roosevelt Dimes for a few years, sending in virtually Brand New Dimes, would get 2 different Dimes, 4 full grades apart, so close together on 1 submission. Now I do not own the coins at this time and have no idea where they are to compare them, and for HIPPA laws (Look it up if you have to, it is medical image ) I x'd out some of the 3's to not upset any owners.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Mitch, I think your 2c is worth more like $200. When I think about some of my more unsatisfying submissions, they fit the picture. No stunner in the group and a top pop in the MS66 range. Makes me want to rethink the quarter submission I'm working on.
    David
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It occurred to me tonight that while coin grading itself is an "art and not a science", coin submitting is more of "a science and not an art". I'll give you one example ...

If you surround your monster quality coin in a large submission with essentially a pile of junk, the likely result is a lower grade for your monster quality coin than if it was submitted in a large group of wonderful coins, one nicer than the next. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that grading, once again, is "an art" and the graders attention will be maintained to a higher level when he/she is reviewing a submission filled with wonderful coins.

There are myriad principles to follow in the "science" of coin submitting. I have probably submitted the better part of one million coins myself over the past 16+ years with PCGS. Many principles have been learned through those submissions. In fact, I could write a book on them all if I wanted to.

Just like there are world class graders in the coin biz and world class experts in a particular coin series, etc., I also believe there are "world class" coin submitters. I know of a few to be sure and I personally work very hard to make sure "my game" is at the highest level possible as well.

Wondercoin >>

Well said Wondercoin. I had a discussion with one of the leading submitters/graders in the country back in 2004 and he explained to me that they closely watched who was grading in any particular week. They kept scorecards on coins vs. graders. It is truly a science. It also doesn't hurt if you are a big time submitter with lots of high powered stuff. I often noted back in the 1988-1989 era that major auction submissions from the top players at that time were often 20 to 100 coins long (applicable to only NGC serial numbers). I was often surprised at the grades some of those high serial numbered coins received. In my mind I don't see how the graders couldn't be aware of the owner of a high powered submission....or at least the fact that this owner is a high powered submitter and therefore a major revenue source for the TPG. Of course that was in the days of nearly 100% raw coins going in. Now it's mostly a game of regrades. But the tenets are still similar. To answer the OP's original question....my opinion is YES, even if it just skews their odds in their favor from say 50-50.... to 55-45 or 60-40.

If you know the series and believe in the coin, you will eventually get it in the right holder. I would like some of those back that I gave up on and found out later they either upgraded or got in the right holder.

Yes, but how long do you try for? 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 15 yrs? I had some coins I tried 4X over 5-15 years. I believed in them. The person that got the upgrades were the ones right after me....lol. At some point you just run out of time and/or money. I would also submit that if it takes you more than 3 submissions to get the grade you wanted or thought you deserved.....it was probably the WRONG grade. Getting an upgrade after 3, 4, 5, or even 10 or more attempts is not the right grade. It is certainly the wrong grade if it only occurred <25% of the time. But, the coin will stay in that holder and the market will perceive it as a reasonable grade, in most cases. A coin is graded correctly imo if it comes back the same grade at least 50-65% of the time. Those coins that come back the same grade <75% of the time (3 out of 4 or better) are actually quite hard to find. Those are solid for the grade coins (or PQish) that nearly most everyone would recognize as such. It tends to be those coins that get submitted 5X to 20X over the years until they achieve an upgrade under ideal circumstances. Sending a coin in for a cross is not a legitimate grade assignment/evaluation. I wouldn't even count those as that's also a political thing. The only thing that should really count are regrades of the TPG's holders or raw coins/crack outs.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    "Makes me want to rethink the quarter submission I'm working on."

That is what I was hoping board members might do. Thank you David for your "$200" comment as well.

And Roadrunner's stories are "right on" as well. But, I do have this story for RR....

I once bought a near six figure coin for a customer that finally upgraded on the 63rd time through the grading company (edited to add that this is obviously hearsay and I obviously did not see 62 separate submission forms spanning several years, but knowing the submittor it is certainly believable). And, the original submittor finally sold it after the 62nd (failed) attempt for a price close to half way between the two grade points. It upgraded for the next submittor the first time through! Anyway, the upgrade made the pop of this cool coin 3/0 and I was lucky enough to be offered two out of the three coins in the world at the same time. including the one that took 63 tries to finally upgrade. They were priced at about the same price and I personally liked the one that took 63 tries better than the one that worked the first time through! I gave all of the details to my customer (would you want to find out later that a coin you bought took 63x to make the grade!) and he had a neat take on the subject. He said that the since the guy who tried the one coin 62x was a world class upgrader, he would simply assume the coin was solid for the grade it had finally upgraded to and so if I liked that one better, he was perfectly fine going with that one. I performed a little more due diligence (that I will tell over some beers) and then bought the one that took 63x to upgrade over the one that worked the first time through. Interesting, both of these coins sold at a major public auction since that time and the one I picked for that customer sold for a lot more money than the other coin. My customer made a great return on this coin and you should have seen the auction write up on it!

Moral of this story ... never give up on a coin you truly believe in (but only if you are a world class grader; otherwise the grading bills might eat you alive)!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree and have first hand experienced this same thing first hand.

Same happens on CAC submissions. Send in 1 coin, good luck! Send in 3 coins, 2 ok amd one really nice, good luck. Send in 6 really nice coins, you will get 3+ stickers.

Grading is as much ranking and context as it is a pure evaluation. I do the same thing when seeing a lot of coins at a show...I tend to gravitate to the nicer ones of what I saw, not necessarily the nicest ones in an absolute context.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Over the years I have heard a few of the Registry Set players complain about their coins "not making the grade".

While my Washington quarter set "howaboutthesequarters" is only ranked 9th on the current finest list, I am not too concerned about moving up the registry boards. I do like nice high-end coins, but not just to move up the list. Others, however, strive to move up and are apparently convinced that "who" sends the coin in for grading is often times a deciding factor on the ultimate grade. Having seen some of the coins with top pop grades, I too wonder, how did that coin get that grade! Especially if I see much nicer coins with lower grades. For the sake of this discussion, please spare me rancor about grading being an opinion, and all of the other "noise" associated with grading.

Do any of you think that the "who" in the coin submission impacts final grades?

I'll answer first.

Yes, I do believe that it does..... >>

I believe it does as well but not for what some may consider the "obvious reasons".

I believe it does solely because if a person KNOWS their series than they also KNOW what the best coin to submit is when they find it. By that, I don't mean "The Best of Five" or even the "The Best of Fifty" but more like "The Best of the Thousands that have been Viewed".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    PCGS graders do not know who the submitter is. Period! Not only that but they do not know what the other graders called a coin. We try to make grading as objective as possible.

I think Wondercoin makes some great points. Think about it before you send in your next submission.

I love Steve's attitude. That's what it's all about.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if your submission contains a mixture of grades. A real nice Gem++++ should not be hindered because there are VF's or AU's in the same submission.
  • Options
    Dimeman: Life ain't fair.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin is 100 percent on the mark.

I always send my best stuff to set up a monster. Once you've shown them several 67 plus coins and the next one is better...its 68 time.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I have probably submitted the better part of one million coins myself over the past 16+ years with PCGS.

Wondercoin >>

So every business day for 16 years, you have somehow sent in 30 coins per hour (looked up coin number. put coin in approved baggie in
    approved flip, filled out form) 8 hours a day, 5 days a week...AND HAD TIME FOR NOTHING ELSE.... amazing
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Frank. I did not do it that way!

Modern bulk accounts for a sizeable percentage of the coins. I can submit 1,000 coins and write them up in less than 30 minutes.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    I've got to agree with Steve. I have a 64RB coin that is fun to look at through a loupe. I admire it often and enjoy it and don't even think about either getting a replacement to upgrade my collection or sending it in for a bump.

I have a 65RB that I can't stand to look at. I don't know what to do with it because it seems wrong to inflict it on someone else. Just "tuition" if you will.

The moral of the story here is, it is the coin and how you feel about it first. The grade, while very important is 2nd to those considerations. I think this is the best way to enjoy your coins. They are coins first that happen to be graded. Not numbered slabs that happen to have coins in them.

(Yipes, that sounded a little harsh but just trying to make a point)
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the comments of Wondercoin and RR make sense, there is still a subjective component associated with grading-Its not a math problem and the answer will not always be the same. There may be doubt and disagreement as to the best opinion or most appropriate grade of a coin.

Learn the series and what TPG looks for in connection with those series.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rainbowroosie

I always send my best stuff to set up a monster. Once you've shown them several 67 plus coins and the next one is better...its 68 time.

This idea of "set up a monster" really intrigues me! How do you set up a coin? Submit several 67's and the next one is a 68? What if they look at your "68" first, and they call it a 67? Are the rest of your 67's then 66's? Obviously, I lack the sophistication of many submitters.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, the original submittor finally sold it after the 62nd (failed) attempt for a price close to half way between the two grade points. It upgraded for the next submittor the first time through! Anyway, the upgrade made the pop of this cool coin 3/0 and I was lucky

Sorry, but can you explain how this happens? Just does not pass the smell test.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Lablover... And, it certainly brought into question (in his mind) whether it passed the "smell test" to the unlucky submittor of 62x. But, this can be the situation with great classic coins where the grading services simply do not strongly desire (my words not the grading services) to grade a coin in that pop top grade. It was this way with 1932-D Washington Quarter achieving the MS66 barrier for a decade or more after the pop 1 was first slabbed. Then, "one day" things happen and, like magic, a second coin is slabbed in that previously nearly unobtainable grade (deserving or not -- not relevant to this discussion). Such, was the case with this rare pop 3/0 coin that took 63 tries to finally slab.

Me personally - I do less of the constant submitting and simply wait more time to resubmit many of my coins - especially those I am keeping in a set I have no interest in selling. I have a number of coins in my collection that took 10 years to achieve the grade I was looking for. I spoke about this yesterday with a fellow collector. He had a coin that would be worth a fortune extra if it upgraded. I told him I thought his chances were good to achieve the upgrade if he gave himself a 5-10 year time horizon to achieve the upgrade.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not know who the coins belong to.

I have the opposite problem,,,,always getting too HIGH a grade for my lowball set.

But, since I'm just a "renter" of the coins it really does not matter in the long run for me.

I understand the dollars and cents of regrading but just don't play the game. The coins are what they are and no more or less.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From 2014 to 2016?
  • Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    The only way around your grading issue is to have an
    impartial service look at the coins.

Almost all my coins are CAC for this exact reason.

CAC is not perfect but in general their coins are all strong for the grade
    which is what you want.
  • Options
    Also there is much more to it.

Most NGC/CAC coins will never cross in the holder but maybe 75% will
    if you crack them and have the look PCGS likes, not too dark and more.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a $10 Indian MS62 in an OGH CAC PCGS holder, low SN that to me is a solid 63. So should I cut it out and submit it raw, or submit as is for reconsideration at 63? Edited to add that I plan to sell it as I have a nicer one now.

My last set of reconsiderations did not do well and only one of ten upgraded, and all were either CAC or low SN from way back.
  • Options
    You always should submit coins like this in the holder first. I would suggest at least three times depending on the coin.

If that does not work you can crack it. However it usually works better when the coins you want to upgrade are sent in with others that do not matter as much.

it is a tough game. I find that I need to give my coins to others to do this rather than submitting myself. Sure I try but I do not well.

You have to eat all the fees and play the game. A 62 to a 63 should be one of the easier coins to work.
  • Options
    The only way around all the grading nonsense is to buy
    mostly CAC coins. There is 100% no favoritism there, no regrades etc.
    While you might not always agree with CAC you will 90% of the time.
    If more and more people only purchased CAC coins it would force the
    grading service to be much more consistent and careful as to which coins they
    upgrade. Look at NGC. Their coins usually bring substantially less.

We all know why. Many CAC coins are cracked to try and get the next grade.
    That is common sense as people who crack want to try with the best coins.
    Stick with PCGS/CAC and forget the rest. There are enough of these for
    any budget, and yes, you can build top sets or close using all CAC as I have
    done it. The dealers would not like this but they would adjust. If more and more
    customers demand CAC they would have to.

Another way that PCGS could stop all the nonsense would be to only use
    their secure service. I believe this service will 100% identify a coin that was previously graded if it comes in to be graded raw. They can't do this as the grading fees would drop substantially.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Getting back to the original question, I don't believe it's the "who" I believe it's the "how."

1) Submitting a coin which is at the high-end of the grade, with those of the same date/MM which are average for the grade. It makes the high end coin look like it should be the next grade up (usually applied to MS coins).
    2) Submitting in bulk.
    3) Submitting the same coin multiple times (the old crack-out game)

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bankerbob56

This idea of "set up a monster" really intrigues me! How do you set up a coin? Submit several 67's and the next one is a 68? What if they look at your "68" first, and they call it a 67? Are the rest of your 67's then 66's? Obviously, I lack the sophistication of many submitters.....

• Options

Still no one has attempted to "splain this one to me Lucy?!"

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no one has attempted to "splain this one to me Lucy?!"

I will answer as to how I have set up submissions in the past. I also imagine that there are a number of different "set up" strategies and that some might actually work.

Back when I would send in 20-40 high grade, really nicely toned Roosevelt dimes and Washington quarters on an invoice there would always seem to be one or two coins that I thought were undergraded both in absolute terms and in relative terms compared to the other coins on the invoice.

For example, as part of an invoice I might have had five wonderfully toned 1949-D Washington quarters that all came back MS66, but I thought two were MS66 one was a liner MS66/67 and two were slam dunk MS67 coins. I would crack the coins out and later resubmit the two MS66 coins on an invoice with some or all of the undergraded coins. In this example I resubmitted all five coins together and only included those five coins on the invoice because I wanted the graders to be looking at only wonderfully toned, high grade Washington quarters that all had the same strike characteristics. I would crack the coins out and then put what I thought was the weaker MS66 first, the stronger MS66 second and then follow that up with the liner MS66/67 and the weaker and stronger MS67 coins. The flips would be labeled as "coin one", "coin two", etc...In other words, from least to greatest in terms of grade. My thinking was that the two MS66 pieces were no brainer examples of really choice MS66 coins and they would easily regrade as MS66. The liner MS66/67 would immediately follow with the goal that it might pop to MS67 because it was clearly nicer than the pair of choice MS66 coins that had just been graded and, if it didn't pop to MS67 and stayed MS66, that it would form an upper limit in the minds of the graders as to what an MS66 could be with anything nicer receiving a higher grade. Then the two MS67 coins would follow.

I had success using this strategy, but keep in mind that success using this strategy does not prove the strategy works. Rather, these coins might have truly been liner coins in the eyes of PCGS graders and on any given day these coins might have had more wobble in their grade than the vast bulk of coins that go through the grading process. Therefore, even without the strategy they might have received the higher grade upon resubmission.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thing I should have added is that you really, really need to be a terrific grader to do this consistently and, sadly, most folks who submit coins over-estimate their competency for grading.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson