Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nagurski scam?

What do people think? link

P.S. I'm not bidding - I just don't like seeing these things. Of course it may be a well centered raw Nagurski, call me skeptical image

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    image A brighter photo might be helpful.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fake.

ETA: Spacing on the back is the first giveaway and the bad back photo is to hide the fact that the text color is wrong and that the 1985 Reprint line has been erased.
  • Options
    The reprints have green text on the back from what I remember... He did something to make the text color look ok though, right?
  • Options

<< <i>The reprints have green text on the back from what I remember... He did something to make the text color look ok though, right? >>

Yes, heavily darkened the photo and turned up the contrast or it's from a different run than the most common reprints.
  • Options
    Thanks. Takes some nerve to put a reserve in, doesn't it? I won't take a penny less than 2000 for my reprint image
  • Options
    It's becoming all too common:

Link

Guessing this one is as well, but haven't received any feedback on my thread earlier today:

Link

I've noticed a theme with sellers of car parts/manuals, low feedback scores, and bad vintage card reprints recently.
  • Options
    Grr.. now I'm getting the timeout/double post bug.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I'm just seeing this now. 100% fake. Please, do not bid thinking that you're getting a deal because of bad pictures. This one is not legit.

Given the number of counterfeits/fakes and reprints that have been altered to look real, I would recommend that unless you are pretty familiar with the printing process and overall visual appeal of the 1935 National Chicles, you would be best advised to buy one already graded.
  • Options

<< <i>It's becoming all too common:

Link

Guessing this one is as well, but haven't received any feedback on my thread earlier today:

Link

I've noticed a theme with sellers of car parts/manuals, low feedback scores, and bad vintage card reprints recently. >>

UPDATE: After notifying eBay when I first saw the fake Sport Kings in the first link to no avail, I finally contacted the seller directly on the latest relist. Expecting an expletive-laden tirade or story of how it's been passed down in the family for generations, instead I got "That's disappointing, but thanks for info." and the listing was taken down. Props to the seller for the way he handled it.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Listing is pulled by the seller. Must be viewing the boards.

I LOVE Etsy as it's been an incredible platform for me to sell my items, but I hate how they allow people to make counterfeit cards and sell them. I've reported Etsy sellers for selling counterfeits, but as they're a site that is primarily for people who "make" things, these are fair game according to them.

Amazing how many he's sold...

Another Etsy shop

edit to fix links.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Listing is pulled by the seller. Must be viewing the boards.

I LOVE Etsy as it's been an incredible platform for me to sell my items, but I hate how they allow people to make counterfeit cards and sell them. I've reported Etsy sellers for selling counterfeits, but as they're a site that is primarily for people who "make" things, these are fair game according to them.

Another Etsy shop

edit to fix links. >>

I do think they should have to take it down because it copyright infringement. His "reprints" include copyrighted things like the names of the card brands (Topps, O-Pee-Chee, Fleer). But I'm not an attorney so I could be wrong. It really scares me to buy raw when I see stuff like this.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Listing is pulled by the seller. Must be viewing the boards.

Another Etsy shop

edit to fix links. >>

I do think they should have to take it down because it copyright infringement. His "reprints" include copyrighted things like the names of the card brands (Topps, O-Pee-Chee, Fleer). But I'm not an attorney so I could be wrong. It really scares me to buy raw when I see stuff like this. >>

I agree. Etsy's policy, however, is that the person owning the copyright must come forward and provide proper documentation.

I don't know who owns Topps and/or OPC (I've ready here that Upper Deck owns OPC?) If they own the copyright to these images in any way I feel they should act responsibly and go after those who produce counterfeits.

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Besides the copyright issue, Etsy's guidelines say that "Everything on Etsy must be Handmade, Vintage, or a Craft Supply." The counterfeits aren't vintage, they aren't craft supplies, and it's quite a stretch to call color copies "handmade" items. I'd say keep reporting them.