4SC Theft

Just got this from them via email

Property stolen in transit

Recently 4 Sharp Corners had three packages turn up missing from
Collect Auction. It is believed that the missing packages are a result
of theft. I have provided a list of contents that are in the packages
below. The local authorities have been notified and if anyone from
the state of Massachusetts contacts you regarding any of these three
packages please let us know immediately. We greatly appreciate your help!

4 Sharp Corners

1. 1975 Topps Hockey Vending Case
2. 1970 Topps Football Vending Box
3. 1971-72 Topps Basketball Vending box
4. 1994-95 SP Hockey Wax Case
5. 1971 Topps Football First Series (132)
6. 1972 OPC CFL Complete Set
7. 1974-1978 Topps Hockey Set Run

Comments

• JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    That sucks. On a side note, I never realized 4SC opened so much material. Good for them! I always assumed they purchased sets or lots.

On a side note, with large distributers opening material that we previously assumed was being purchased to be tucked-away, how does this affect the price?
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    wow, those are some very legit boxes.

definitley an inside job

no way, someone randomly chose those v. a randy johnson psa 10 rookie
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all of the recent shipment thefts, they should do an Ocean's 11 type movie on this. It would do at least a few hundred dollars at the box office.
    Mike
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, those are some very legit boxes.

definitley an inside job

no way, someone randomly chose those v. a randy johnson psa 10 rookie >>

Well, the size of the packages could be a giveaway.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Given what happened to me, I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a theft ring out there.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With tracking, I'm surprised that there isn't more evidence on what happened to the package. That is why I stopped having items shipped to my house, too many people with too much time on their hands with nothing better to do than steal packages on porches.

Mike
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same email also. Either a very opportunistic thief or an inside job.
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That sucks. On a side note, I never realized 4SC opened so much material. Good for them! I always assumed they purchased sets or lots.

On a side note, with large distributers opening material that we previously assumed was being purchased to be tucked-away, how does this affect the price? >>

These companies have been opening large amounts of material for quite some time. Any impact on pricing has been factored in previously. They are simply part of the equation.
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    I know this guy at my post offices named Vinny I have been paying him $100 a week for
    the last 10 years and haven't had a package lost or stolen yet.

James
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These companies have been opening large amounts of material for quite some time. Any impact on pricing has been factored in previously. They are simply part of the equation. >>

I knew that some companies have been opening material when the prices made sense, but I think it has been the general consensus that unopened has reached a price that makes rippage a losing proposition. I guess for large submitters (like 4SC) it still makes sense to rip. Supply continues to drop.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These companies have been opening large amounts of material for quite some time. Any impact on pricing has been factored in previously. They are simply part of the equation. >>

I knew that some companies have been opening material when the prices made sense, but I think it has been the general consensus that unopened has reached a price that makes rippage a losing proposition. I guess for large submitters (like 4SC) it still makes sense to rip. Supply continues to drop. >>

Notice all the vintage is sets or vending, I don't think they can afford ripping wax/cello/rack and have a chance of making a profit.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I have had several shipments disappear in the last few months, including priority mail. Verrrry frustrating. I still haven't been reimbursed for my carrier throwing packages in the trash back in February. Big media over the fiasco, FBI, etc, now dead silence.

While some may have realized 4sc was busting a lot of vintage unopened, I don't think the majority do to be honest.

I think there are people with their head in the sand on both sides that think all unopened stays that way in magical mystery hordes and others who assume it is all busted. Like everything, the truth is in the middle.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I knew that some companies have been opening material when the prices made sense, but I think it has been the general consensus that unopened has reached a price that makes rippage a losing proposition. I guess for large submitters (like 4SC) it still makes sense to rip. Supply continues to drop. >>

I agree that ripping at the current prices is not a winning proposition in most cases. At least, I cannot justify opening anything other than junk wax at this stage of the game. I suspect many are hoarding but not everything is getting tucked away.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Also received that email earlier today. Sure hope they get their cards and hope even more that the crooks get caught and prosecuted.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Sucks that happened to them but items were insured so hopefully they are not out any $$s.

The plus side of this is that there will be fewer slivers of 75 Topps hockey, 70 Topps football, 71-72 Topps basketball and various mid-70s Topps hockey cards littering the 4SC offices.

Robb
  • Maybe someone from New England Sportscards picked them up to sell them all raw
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sucks that happened to them but items were insured so hopefully they are not out any $$s.

The plus side of this is that there will be fewer slivers of 75 Topps hockey, 70 Topps football, 71-72 Topps basketball and various mid-70s Topps hockey cards littering the 4SC offices.

Robb >>

Sounds like an accusation??
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but am I missing something here? Did this company do something wrong why people are making jokes here? I must be naive because when I heard about this theft I was appauld and whomever stole these goods I hope get their due..again, maybe I'm missing something as why would people justify or joke about it?
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came across this thread. Did anyone hear if they got this material back?

Aside from the theft, another troubling part of this story is how ripping this stuff is still profitable for them at today's prices. We've all seen results of the 1980 vending rip as well as a lot of other box and pack rips and the corresponding grades. Almost all results are under water. Any vintage rips are done out of the entertainment value rather than any reasonable expectation of profit. I grade out 5 1975 vending sets and get 7 to 8 tens.
  • Also, what happened to the member who was sending around a litho or picture of the 50 greatest NBAers of all time getting autos on the thing and it got lost/stolen by steiner, right? Did that ever turn up?