Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

is the 1993-94 finest refractor set worth putting together?

i am thinking of putting together a 93-94 finest refractor basketball set together. raw not graded. would you? comments please.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not? If thats your collecting interest. The "worth" part is a whole different animal. Do you hope for the set to increase in value and then flip it for a profit? Therein lies the uncertainty many of us have to deal with if we collect for a profit later on. No guarantees in this realm. Good luck on your quest if you choose to chase that set.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    They are all over the map. I think it is a worthwhile set if you don't overspend on any individual card.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I put one together raw, ended up costing me about $800 when all was said and done. Some of the SPs will cost you $15-$25 each. It was a fun build, not too easy and not impossible. If you grade the low pop 10s and sell them you can offset some of the cost.

Lee
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    The 93-94 basketball set has some collector interest, so you can probably at least break even if you decided to unload it later.

As mentioned it is enough of a challenge to make it fun but not overly expensive. And in the end you will have something worth owning.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that the first year for Finest Bkb?

I bought a box of the stuff and never got around to opening it. Rotman had a special where if I bought a box I got 2 boxes of base BB.

I'm always of the belief that one might want to collect what they enjoy and not worry about the future. After all, how can one put a price on enjoyment?
    Mike
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    It was the first ever set of basketball refractors.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    currently building the set myself, i started back in may and still need 20 cards

i agree with previous comments - it's not an impossible build, but it's not easy either; some of the SPs are actually more difficult to find than i thought they'd be

i saw a set sell recently around $865, i saw another late last year go for almost $1,100, i think that's a pretty good range for it

i actually have two sets going (ended up with a ton of extras because i was buying large lots of commons), if you decide to start it and need some help hit me up on PM
  • Options

<< <i>i saw a set sell recently around $865, i saw another late last year go for almost $1,100, i think that's a pretty good range for it >>

Interesting. Lee said he put this together for around $800.

I always assumed the cost of putting together sets, in no small part due to the shipping charges associated with doing so, meant you would take a loss if you sold it as a complete set.

Note I said "assumed" because I've done zero research into the matter. Despite this belief, I have opted to piece together sets because that's what I enjoy, and they stay in my collection once complete. In other words, I don't search for or have insight into complete set sale prices.

I'm curious what sets others have pieced together, decided to sell within a year, and made out well on (or, to the other extreme, took a bath on)?

As far as putting a set together, I certainly think so. Twenty years on and Refractors remain very popular in a hobby that is notoriously fickle. As others have said, it's a relatively inexpensive and challenging set. I decided to put the 1994 Finest Football set together a while ago, I am still looking for some centered upgrades, and really enjoyed it.

Snorto~