Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Consign to key Ebayers?

Hi

I have sold a few 1970 unopened baseball GAI 7 packs recently. I think 3 or 4 sold for $200 each the past few months.

Probstein just completed an auction on a 1970 baseball GAI 7 pack that ended at $356. Nice!!

My question is this, for an item that is basically the exact same, why would this one sell 75% higher?

Is it more that Probstein is viewed at a higher lever, me viewed not the same way or simply market conditions and an auction that was driven by a few key bidders?

Just wondering the boards thoughts as to why .....

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probstein and PWCC definately get more eyeballs on their listings.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    As Dpeck said, they get more views, but I don't think as much.

If I have "1979 baseball pack" in my saved search, I'm going to see your listing.

They definitely have followers, but I think that during the 7-10 day auction any interested collector willing to pay top dollar will see the listing whether they follow these sellers or not.

I think there are two reasons those auctions get higher prices.

1) Having their stamp on it gives the buyer some comfort due to their large feedback. There is an amount of trust from uneducated buyers that everything they have is legitimate. They're a "scan and list" business, not authenticators or experts in the hobby (and I don't fault them for this).

2) Handing your items to them gives you the opportunity to bid on them, thus raising the price, aka shill bidding.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    You should consider crossing the packs to PSA. A PSA 7 1970 Topps pack would sell for well over the $356 that Probstein got.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi

I have sold a few 1970 unopened baseball GAI 7 packs recently. I think 3 or 4 sold for $200 each the past few months.

Probstein just completed an auction on a 1970 baseball GAI 7 pack that ended at $356. Nice!!

My question is this, for an item that is basically the exact same, why would this one sell 75% higher?

Is it more that Probstein is viewed at a higher lever, me viewed not the same way or simply market conditions and an auction that was driven by a few key bidders?

Just wondering the boards thoughts as to why .....

Thanks >>

I agree with Mullins in that I am not sure PWCC/Probstein necessarily get that many more views than other sellers.

Given the volume at which they list items, I can't imagine why a potential bidder would scan just their listings as opposed to doing a general search.

That said, their considerable and overwhelmingly positive feedback number may give bidders more confidence in doing business with them.

Also, it is absolutely a misnomer that they always get top dollar vs. "identical" listings.

With the auction format it's really about having 2, or more, determined "gotta have it" type bidders finding your listing... especially if there are no others currently available on eBay.

There are cards I follow closely and can tell you I regularly see large disparities between hammer prices ending in close proximity that don't involve PWCC or Probstein.

Snorto~
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that GAI 7 1970 wax pack went for as much as it did as there were several tears in the wrapper and no back scan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I have about 10 cards 60-75 all psa 8 to sell and I have about 15 85-03 cards to sell all psa graded.
    Who is better to consign to? Probstein or pwcc?

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have about 10 cards 60-75 all psa 8 to sell and I have about 15 85-03 cards to sell all psa graded.
    Who is better to consign to? Probstein or pwcc? >>

They are both good. They both have their pros and cons.
  • Options
    PWCC commission is a bit higher, but in my opinion, their format of scheduled auctions, easy to search website and email notifications that go out to all past buyers, are big pros. For instance, I collect football, I know an auction is coming because I get an email, so as a buyer, I go right to their website to get a preview.

That being said, I've had great experience with Probstein in terms of results and customer service. If I had a big ticket item though, I'd be a little nervous that it goes up on eBay in FIFO style and if someone was on vacation that week or didn't check their eBay search results, etc. my item might be missed by a potential buyer.