Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How is this a 4?? 53 satchel

Ebay item id 111433530955

Am I losing my mind or is this the worst 4 ever? It looks like someone ate one corner

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Why can't I get that grader image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• LampyLampy Posts: 329
    NO WAY IN HELL...LOL!!!!!
  • don't these always turn out to be scammer crack open case job?
    I don't see frosting or popped pins. Moreove the card is so egregiously out of synch with the grade; I would imagine a scammer with even a modicum of intelligence would try and fool us all by using a card that somewhat jives with the grade? A head-scratcher for sure, this one.

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image Something is off. PSA should research this situation. >>

thats exactly what i was thinking
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I think you guys are being a bit too critical. The card, while having flaws and not being the prettiest example, meets the criteria for a PSA 4...

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    It's not. It should not have been graded any higher than PSA VG 3.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    Some other PSA 4's from the same issue:

imageimage
    This is where I will never understand the surface wrinkle knocking a card down to a 5.

I have had a few that could have easily graded Mint and perhaps Gem Mint with a tiny wrinkle and down she goes.

To think a minor wrinkle that you have to work to find and it grades one point higher. Makes no since to me.

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had a few that could have easily graded Mint and perhaps Gem Mint with a tiny wrinkle and down she goes. >>

My 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RC was graded SGC 80 EX/NM 6 for that very reason. A tiny minuscule wrinkle that I did not even notice until I placed it under a bright light. I nearly turned into a gremlin while examining it upon its return.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

<< <i>This is where I will never understand the surface wrinkle knocking a card down to a 5.

I have had a few that could have easily graded Mint and perhaps Gem Mint with a tiny wrinkle and down she goes.

To think a minor wrinkle that you have to work to find and it grades one point higher. Makes no since to me. >>

Eye appeal... Give me a smoking card with a minor back wrinkle and I'll live with the technical grade.

I've got some vintage and prewar cards that have tape or album mounts on the back that would otherwise grade NM/MT or better, but would be in PSA 2 holders at best. I'll take them over an evenly worn EX card any day of the week!

<< <i>

<< <i>This is where I will never understand the surface wrinkle knocking a card down to a 5.

To think a minor wrinkle that you have to work to find and it grades one point higher. Makes no since to me. >>

Eye appeal... Give me a smoking card with a minor back wrinkle and I'll live with the technical grade.

I've got some vintage and prewar cards that have tape or album mounts on the back that would otherwise grade NM/MT or better, but would be in PSA 2 holders at best. I'll take them over an evenly worn EX card any day of the week! >>

I am waiting to get a trimmed card in the mail that looks great. I will take it over a 1 that appears a car has driven over it.

This is where the arbitrary grading definitions just really make the grading game go haywire. If that is a 4, that means it is 250% better than my Ruth M101.
    So if that is a 4 then what are these? Some are not mine, just illustrating. Cards like that Paige "4" are why I will never let the stickers brainwash me and tell me what is "better." PSA should buy that card and put it in a 2 holder, because if the definitions can make that card the same as the 51 Mantle 4 below (which is not mine) then something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

And so this Mantle is just .5 "better" than that Paige?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree that there is NO WAY that card should be in a "4" holder. A tiny pin hole gets an automatic "1" but those two left corners are good enough to get a '4"?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Right on, Doug. I love looking at that card, by the way.

I don't know when the "founding fathers" of baseball card grading assembled at the card version of The Constitutional Convention and decided things like, "A pinhole or paper loss mean automatic 1," and, "Any crease means automatic 4." I sure would have liked to have the floor for a moment at that gathering.

It's a shame that laws can be rectified and changed (Prohibition, slavery, women's right to vote, various drugs' legality, to name a few), yet such baseball card grading guidelines are apparently sacrosanct.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some other PSA 4's from the same issue:

imageimage >>

How are these from the same issue?? Not the same year.?

<< <i>How are these from the same issue?? Not the same year.? >>

They're not. I screwed up...
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    When I subbed this card my thoughts were 10% chance 3.5, 75% chance at a 4, and a 15% chance I sneak a 4.5

Of course I got the 3.5, which I felt was their way of getting my review money.

Seeing this Paige irks me to the nth degree...especially because there appears to be a big wrinkle on back from TCG thru under the ERA.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    If that Paige is a 4 your Mays is a 5.5.

I don't know why a card can be stained or written on and it gets docked less points than a speck of paper loss or a pinhole or a wrinkle. A micro wrinkle makes a card a max under 5 I think, and yet a card can be a 9ST which is a 7.