Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

If you were to be given any one topps wax pack that you had to open, other than 1952 baseball, what

For me it would be 1955...would be in heaven to pull a Clemente or Koufax...killebrew would be crazy sweet as well!!! What say you? Of course all the other hofers as well!!!
"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I've always loved opening 1979 Topps Hockey. Huge rush looking for Gretzky, Hull, Howe, Bossy and others.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be 1960 for me... just my favorite vintage set. When I was 10 or so, a guy at my best friend's church still had his childhood collection and it was almost entirely 1960 Topps. Handfuls of Yaz/McCovey/Clemente/Mantle's... always loved looking at those. To pull one from wax would be sweet.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1963 Topps 7th series wax pack~great shot at a mint Rose RC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I agree with the OP. 1955 Topps are absolutely beautiful cards in high grade!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • For the rush, it would have to be '57 Basketball. It was the first Topps basketball set, it looks amazing, and the chance at pulling a Bill Russell rookie would be unreal.

For personal reasons, it would have to be '72 basketball. It's one of my favorite looking sets, and 72 is my favorite Maravich card.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1952 Bowman Large Football, my favorite issue of all cards.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I would like a 1956 and or a 1958 5 cent Topps pack. I have a Topps set and pack run but only penny packs for those two years. The 56 and 58 Topps nickle packs are by far the toughest of the Topps packs to find . I would trade my 52 pack for either one, since the 52 pack would be much easier to replace. Probably cheaper as well.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to open a 5-cent pack of 1953 Bowman Black & White. Love the images on the issue -- a number of noteable toughies in the set, perhaps a well-centered Andy Hansen with nice corners!

Second choice -- 1971 Topps Greatest Moments or 1968 Topps 3-D
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

1987 Topps baseball.

That way I could open the pack, throw the cards away,
    and not feel guilty about opening a vintage pack.

John

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I think most likely, I'd roll with 54 or 55 Topps. But part of me says 57 would be really cool. A good group of RCs and also some cool multi-cards, Mantle/Berra, Dodgers Sluggers, etc.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    1953. I like the style of the cards. I have always found there to be something interesting about sports cards that did not have photographic images. I would love to pull a Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle, Satchel Paige and/or Willie Mays card from the pack. As a matter of fact, I would love to pull any New York Yankees player from the pack. I will keep dreaming. Please don't wake me up.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    1953 Bowman Color
    1968 Topps 3D
    1971 Topps Greatest Moments
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Without thinking too much about it, I'd go with a '67 Hi #'d pack. Lots of valuable cards in that series, especially in a TEN.

EDITED TO ADD: A '68 3D pack would be fun to open as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    a '76 Topps Baseball wax pack would be cool. then, i'd pull a minty fresh perfectly centered George Brett and soil myself.
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    '71 baseball....... Would love to get a PSA 10 Halll of Famer.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    1954 Topps Canadian pack for me.

I actually think some of these requests can be satisfied if we split up Anthony's (Griffin's) collection. imageimageimage

What do you say, Anthony? Care to donate? image

Justin
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1953 Bowman Color
    1968 Topps 3D
    1971 Topps Greatest Moments >>

nearly a copycat there, Shane image
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    A 1968 Topps Bench Series pack. I would like to pull a Gem Mint Bench rookie.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    << 1953 Bowman Color
    1968 Topps 3D
    1971 Topps Greatest Moments

Um yes I would copy your answers all day long. You have always chased the good stuff.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    I would love to open a 1953 Topps pack. I think those are just unbelievably beautiful cards. Would love to get a Jackie or Satchel. Just beautiful cards.
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    1960 bb. I'd love to pull a pack fresh Yaz rookie.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1971 Topps

• belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Love reading the responses. Baseball vintage is awesome. I do love my football unopened but give me a 1980 wax baseball pack and I'll show you the dudes I grew up watching!!! Thx for playing. Although I do wish I had me a 1955 pack.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>1963 I'd love to pull a pack fresh Yaz rookie. >>

HUH?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I don't know if topps Venezuelans came in packs. But if they did, I'd pick a Venezuelan pack from the 1960s, for a shot at my first Vennie Yaz.

• << <i>

HUH? >>

+1
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Drunk?
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    1956 Topps Baseball. Beautiful cards!
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I would love to bust a 55 topps pack or a 67 pack.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Just because they were the only packs I opened as a kid I'd have to say 1970 Topps baseball.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Marc and 1954-- I have a 68 3D wrapper with my set but have never seen a pack. Never seen a wrapper, let alone a pack for 71 GM's. Have either of you seen such packs ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • 1977 Topps Star Wars Series Two

That's where it all began for my wax opening career
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

HUH? >>

My bad. I meant 1960 bb. Migraines are a b*tch.
  • My first instinct was 1948 Leaf Football, but there is no way I would open one of those if I ever came across one.

So I'm going to go with 1965 Topps Football instead.

Thanks for thinking of us, Belz, and please PM me for my ship to address. image

Snorto~
  • Easy choice for me, 1955 & I'd be looking for one cardimage

For you all that said 1960, after setting up at a small show in Calif in about 1990, waiting for the doors to open, I wondered over to a guys table and there sits the nicest 1960 Yogi Berra I have ever seen. It's in a 1in. brick, and really stood out. I ask the guy about it, he said funny story there. I was set up at the first table by the front door last week & this guy comes in with a paper bag. He ask me if I bought cards I said let me see what you have. Inside the bag was 16 1960 Topps baseball cellos. I ask the guy what do you want for them & he said $100. I said I don't have that much on me right now but I can run down to the bank & have it for you in a few minutes, thinking he meant $100 each pack. He said you don't have $100 on you? At that point I realized he meant $100 total. I gave him the $100 and I am keeping 15 sealed & opened 1, the Berra was in the one.

I will always remember this story when somebody mentions 1960 unopened.
  • 1954 Topps. With the chance to pull a Banks rookie. Or a box of 70 topps 5,6 & 7th. series, I'm not stopping at the pack, I want the box.

I get sick thinking about it, but here it is ... I was at a show around 89 or 90. A dealer is about to make a deal with this kid. He's may be 16 or 17 years old. The kid has to have a 85 Donruss factory set. So he trades the dealer, straight up, for a 1960 baseball cello pack, the pack appears mint, and on top ... a centered Mickey Mantle. Ouch.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1962 Baseball. Love the woodgrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set