Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This will drive me crazy for the next 2.5 months

I have been putting some cards on the side for the past couple of months waiting for the next PSA special. One of the things I had been waiting to grade were some really nicely centered, clean, 1988 Fleer basketball stickers. So I went through my stack earlier this week and narrowed everything down to 50 cards. Tonight I was looking on eBay for some nice stickers and I started thinking.... Did I remember to wipe the wax stains off of the backs of the 88 stickers? I looked through a couple that I didn't feel were nice enough to grade, and they still had the stains on them. I would like to think I wouldn't have put them in card savers without wiping them off, but I did those cards back in late June. Now I have to wait 2.5 months to see if I wasted $70-$80 on grading cards that will come back w/ a stain qualifier. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will pop in a couple of days so I won't have to question myself for the full 50 days.

Comments

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So I went through my stack earlier this week and narrowed everything down to 50 cards. >>

Did you place the cards that you set aside into Card Savers as well? If not, you probably checked the ones that you placed into the Card Savers. That would drive me crazy too. You should be able to contact PSA in order to explain your situation. They may be willing to accommodate you.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    yes, everything in my stack was in a card saver. I really don't think I would be dumb enough to forget to wipe the wax off. But this could be a situation where I focused so much on centering and corners that I forgot about the wax.
    I would still contact PSA and explain your situation. It can't hurt. Good luck Sports Card Stop.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    this brings up an interesting question, maybe someone else has already asked it before

do any of you buy any of the stickers with PSA 9 (ST) qualifiers, crack them and resub?

i always presume that the cards with these qualifiers in the 1986-87-88 fleer basketball sets are due to the wax

just wondering, because i could actually use 3-4 of the 86 stickers for my all PSA 9 set, maybe this is the way for me to get them?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 9 (ST) with wax on front (not back) are very easy to clean up with a pair of the wife's pantyhose, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    That is actually not a bad idea Bounce, particularly if someone is very good at removing wax stains from the cards. I am sure that collectors have done it before.

<< <i>PSA 9 (ST) with wax on front (not back) are very easy to clean up with a pair of the wife's pantyhose, lol.. >>

what if it's on the back? what's the difference?
    The paper is probably more porous on the back of the sticker.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this brings up an interesting question, maybe someone else has already asked it before

do any of you buy any of the stickers with PSA 9 (ST) qualifiers, crack them and resub?
    >>

I did this with 3 cards about 10 years ago. They came back 8, 8, and 8(ST)

<< <i>

<< <i>this brings up an interesting question, maybe someone else has already asked it before

>>

I did this with 3 cards about 10 years ago. They came back 8, 8, and 8(ST) >>

so they can tell under magnification the surface "damage" - i had worried about that

hmmm - well, something to think about

<< <i>I did this with 3 cards about 10 years ago. They came back 8, 8, and 8(ST) >>

Were the cards originally graded PSA MINT 9 (ST)?

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I did this with 3 cards about 10 years ago. They came back 8, 8, and 8(ST) >>

so they can tell under magnification the surface "damage" - i had worried about that

hmmm - well, something to think about >>

Either that or PSA just hates me. I thought they looked great. And how do ANY stickers get 9s or 10s? They ALL came on the back of wax packs.

<< <i>

<< <i>I did this with 3 cards about 10 years ago. They came back 8, 8, and 8(ST) >>

Were the cards originally graded PSA MINT 9 (ST)? >>

yes, all were 9(ST)...wax carefully rubbed off. I used an unscented clothes dryer sheet.
  • You can easily get the wax off of fleer basketball stickers from the 80s, whether its the front or back. You just can't get wax off of the back of cards with a non-glossy back like 1980s topps baseball. Fleers are glossy so it easily comes off (if you remember to do it before grading).