Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone buy a Brasher at the ANA this year??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was watching them make them at the ANA - each gold one hand numbered by emission sequence. Couldn't bring myself to buy one, even though they were going to donate $250K of the proceeds to the ANA.

I was however able to buy one of the pewter ones from an enterprising YN. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was however able to buy one of the pewter ones from an enterprising YN. image >>

That is very cool imageimage

Do you know the mintage in pewter? Is the mintage in pewter higher or lower than in gold?
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I saw in person, it's lower - but a lot could have happened then and since w/o me seeing it.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BodinBodin Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    I really would have like to have one of both gold and pewter. I have a feeling that the aftermarket will cost me.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I considered buying one of those at the ANA as I thought they were really cool too and it was fun watching them being made. They look really neat in person as well.

One thing that held me back from buying one is that the possible mintage of the coins is high... sure, there were only 500 done at the ANA, but 500 is not going to be the total mintage. When I asked them about what the mintage would be they were not specific, but it seemed clear there were plans to make more of them but those would just not have the ANA pedigree on the NGC labels.

After the show, I saw in another thread that someone called Monaco and was told they would strike up to 10,000 of the Brasher restrikes. The only way I can see there being that much demand for these is if they do a big run of a few thousand coins for the home shopping shows or something like that. And if that does happen, those will likely be sold at high prices, but they'll ultimately end up in one of my local coin shops in a few years for not much more than melt just like most other coins from TV. Just a guess...

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that there's a lot of investment potential there but FWIW they look pretty cool.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to have gold and pewter versions with RL on the wing image
  • The half doubloon shown here is a unique Gallery Mint Museum issue with RL on the wing.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought several since it was a good cause....think we have 1 left for resale
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did these cost at the show?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    I was try to get gold coin also, but after heard they said discount deal for those who buy in large quantity. So I thought pay full price ($1995) is not a good idea, and after that some people paid around $3000 on eBay.
  • I snagged one of the pewter strikes and think it is superb. I like how the surface reflections (somewhat noticeable in the OP photo) between the inner and outer borders of the design contrast to the point where it almost appears to be a bimetallic piece. I agree with John Kraljevich that this is Ron Landis' best effort yet.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still have Ron's previous Gallery mint effort (as well as a near complete GM set)

Here's the doubloon

imageimage

and half doubloon, struck with same dies on half size planchet,

imageimage

both 0.9167 as the originals (rather than .999)

I'd be interested in seeing a life-like picture of the newer one. I'd also be a buyer of the new one at a price a bit nearer to melt (as these were)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did buy a new DVD of the 1947 film "The Brasher Doubloon".

This DVD had better picture quality and I was able to update my "Coins in Movies" website.

The film uses a replica of the coin as a prop.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file