Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The First Official Coin

Natural resources are often a source of great wealth for a country, especially its king. The Pactolus River in Lydia, now modern day Turkey, was one of the most significant sources of electrum in the ancient world, and it allowed the kings to amass a substantial fortune by minting coins from these deposits.

According to mythology, the electrum came from King Midas who bathed in the river to try to wash away his curse, which turned even his food into gold. In actuality, the persistent wealth of the region was due to its ability to mine and leverage its natural electrum in its prominent position as a trading center between Mesopotamia and the Greek cities. Lydia was noted by ancient authors as a significant center of commerce, and it was the first to establish retail shops in permanent locations. Despite their prominence, much of their history is unknown or inconsistently written.

Their coinage began with the kings Sadyattes and Alyattes. This particular coin is of the earliest variety of Lydian coins, most commonly dated to 630-620 BC during the reign of Sadyattes. It is dramatically rarer than the subsequent issues, minted during only a short period and with few dies. This coin is atypically well-preserved, in mint state with complete remaining luster, whereas nearly all known examples grade “very fine” or lower.

Although its weight indicates that its denomination is a trite, one-third of a stater, no full staters have ever been found from this period, meaning that the trite was likely their largest denomination. There is some disagreement as to the value of a Lydian trite in antiquity, but it is generally thought to represent about one month’s salary, although there is evidence to suggest it was worth more, perhaps able to purchase up to eleven sheep.

While remaining a topic of debate by some, this type is now commonly considered to be the first official coin, meeting all of the requirements laid out in the dictionary definition: it is the first coin to have certified markings which signify a specific exchange value and be issued by a governmental authority for use as money. Earlier coins like the striated and geometric types failed to clearly meet the final criteria, whereas the lion was consistently associated with Lydia.

In antiquity and today, lions have been symbols of kings, ruling their domain and personifying royal authority, strength, and protection. The archaic style of this lion is particularly captivating, shown with teeth bared and roaring, with a fierce, triangle-shaped eye.

The lion was also considered a personification of the sun itself, as it was believed that lions could look directly into the sun. The zodiac sign Leo was therefore assigned to the hottest part of the year, from July 22nd to August 22nd. Appropriately, shown above the lion’s head is a depiction of the shining sun. Later varieties devolve stylistically, and some interpret the less obvious sun pattern as a wart on the nose of the lion.

After the death of King Alyattes, his son Croesus ascended the throne and ceased minting the Lydian lion trites in favor of introducing the world’s first bi-metallic coinage. The expression “rich as Croesus” originates from this king and is still in use today, some 2,600 years after he minted his coins.

KINGS of LYDIA. temp. Sadyattes. Circa 630-620 BC. EL Trite – Third Stater (13mm, 4.70 g). Sardes mint. Head of roaring lion right, sun with four rays on forehead / Two incuse square punches. Weidauer Group XV, 62 (same die and punches); SNG Kayhan –; SNG von Aulock –; BMC 2. Mint State, full lustrous, and likely the finest known.
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233

Once again I will be borrowing heavily from your writeup when posting this newly purchased trite to my website. Thanks for doing my homework! image

This may be the next variety issued, possibly under Alyattes. It too has the four-rayed star instead of the later globular "nose wart".

KINGS OF LYDIA, temp. Ardys - Alyattes
    620-546 BC

EL trite. Sardes mint.
    Obv: head of roaring lion right, sun with four rays on forehead
    Rev: two incuse square punches
    Ref: Weidauer Group XV, 64; BMC 2

Until reading more about these Lydian electrum coins, I thought they were made from unrefined or minimally refined naturally-occurring electrum. Apparently that may note be the case, as the silver content is higher and gold lower than samples of electrum from around the area.

You can see a streakiness in my coin where silver (or some white metal) and gold are not completely mixed. I wonder if this supports the theory that Lydians did alloy their electrum?

• Options
    both are great examples and a lovely write up as always image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It's so cool to be able to see an example of the first coins. The history lesson is well appreciated too. Thanks again for making this a great place to come to.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting coins when I was about 5. That was 40 years ago. I grew in and grew out of collecting several times over the years. But I always self-identified as a coin collector above all things, even when the passion had cooled to almost nothing.

I also knew for years before I bought my first property that I wanted to own real estate. I bought my first rental property just out of college and at that time I thought long and hard about what I wanted to call my company. I kept coming back to one name, one word that really summed it up: Electrum

So that's what I named it. 24 years later and I still love what I do and I still say "Electrum" when I answer the phone.

That coin is why.

But it's not just a coin. It's a foundation of civilization, of trade and exploration. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say I think it's one of the most important artifacts across the entire spectrum of human existence.

And yours is one of the most beautiful examples I've ever seen. Well done, smeagle. I'm drinking a toast to you and your Electrum tonight.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful story, Weiss! I've been working on starting a new company recently myself and considered incorporating the name Electrum as well image I've recently acquired a few other contemporary electrum coins which I'll be posting in the coming weeks - it is incredible to feel the amount of history wrapped up in these pieces. The Lydian trite is a coin I would think each and every collector would want to own, celebrating the origins of numismatics and modern commerce.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your write-ups are an asset to this forum!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    What a great write up, SmEagle! If your company needs writers and you are busy with other things, I will be happy to follow in your footsteps. *Please let it be a coin company, please let it be a coin company, please let it be a coin company...*
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im stealing your image and story for the next school presentation I do. I really need to drop the moderns and focus on more ancients.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    This post is a real treat , thank you SmEagle , TIF & Weiss
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

<< <i>What a great write up, SmEagle! If your company needs writers and you are busy with other things, I will be happy to follow in your footsteps. *Please let it be a coin company, please let it be a coin company, please let it be a coin company...* >>

image Sadly it's about as far from a coin company as possible, but thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>Im stealing your image and story for the next school presentation I do. I really need to drop the moderns and focus on more ancients. >>

You're welcome to use any of my images/stories for school presentations! I wish I had learned history through coins when I was in school... it would have definitely made me stop telling everyone that "I hate learning about history".