Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who are the "Go-To" copmpanies for printing high-quality, large photos?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe this has been answered here before, but I can't see it.

As many of you know, part of how I enjoy my collection is to assemble photos of the coins into PhotoShop composites like this one:

The native resolution of this file is 8400x5250 which should be large enough to produce a 300 dpi print at 28" x 17.5". At this scale, the coins should end up quite a bit larger than life-size and the print will hopefully be suitable for framing and displaying. In the case of this one, a separate composite of the reverses would be another 28"x17.5" and they could be matted & framed together. Even two prints at 14" x 8.75 would be plenty enjoyable and show the detail of the coins well.

I've looked around on the Internet a bit and most of what is advertised seems appropriate for family snapshots and modest-quality enlargements. It's pretty easy to tell that if a huge file uploads to their server in a minute or less that there is some severe file compression and loss of resolution. These sites are all asking for JPEG files and I suspect a more professionally-oriented shop would prefer to work directly from the PhotoShop or maybe PDF formats.

Can anyone recommend a service capable of producing what I'm looking for?

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    We use Washington Repro for stuff like that. http://myprintscape.com/

They are local to us but there are no doubt plenty of reprographics shops that can do it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I use Posterbrain for large printing. I've used them in the past for exhibit panels, as well as posters for my dorm room. They are the best I've found online.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Smugmug
    A site geared to every aspect of photography. Superb printing included. It could be more than your looking for but your photos look up to the task. Worth a try.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys offer Great Photographic Prints ............

....... But I would print this on Aluminum Metal as coins are metal ........... It would look super cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used this company for over 30 years .......

Chrome Digital
  • Options
    Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BryceM, you outdo yourself with every new thread. I bet my local Walgreen's could do a fantastic job with their Fuji print center. I saw some posters they printed of ships and the quality was fantastic, rich with detail, color and sharpness. Are you selling these? I would be interested in purchasing one, would look great on a wall.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i> print this on Aluminum Metal >>

Seriously, I have printed my work on Aluminum and coins would be AWESOME!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Costco.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Kinkos. You could also invest in a canon large format printer at the sizes you are asking about.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used Bay Photo (bayphoto.com) for a number of special projects. Very professionally done, and reasonable prices.

They also have some linkage to smugmug.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Aluminum is seriously interesting....... frameless, it would be ridiculously thin. Might be interesting to leave the background as bare metal. Hmmmm. Wonder what that would look like.

Now, the only question is knowing when a set is "done". I'm still working on most of them. Upgrades are still too tempting. image

Morgansf, are you saying you'd be interested in a copy of these? It never occurred to me that anyone else would want one. For me it's just a way to enjoy the coins without slogging to the bank every time.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Morgansf, are you saying you'd be interested in a copy of these? It never occurred to me that anyone else would want one. For me it's just a way to enjoy the coins without slogging to the bank every time.
    >>

Yes, I would be willing to pay for a print. How about the reverses? It would look great matted, framed and hung in the room I shoot in. I like the moon landing background, but would be ok with black.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brought a very similar project to FedEx-Kinkos and they did a great job. Even laminated it for use as a presentation piece.
  • Options
    For the Aluminum Prints, leave it as is as the highlights (white) has no ink applied leaving the bare metal, looks super cool.

I believe you can have burnished (I prefer) and smooth.

I have had aluminum borders on prints to emphasize the aluminum.

Have a small sample printed (of one coin) and sent to you.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    comments on 20th c. gold?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file