Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1915 Buffalo nickel and a close call

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
There's a dish on my dresser that gradually fills up with lip balm, business cards, matches, loose change, etc. Somehow this raw coin wound up in there. I'm thinking it came in the mail a year or so ago and after giving it a quick look, left it sitting around our living room. My wife, who hates clutter and is used to seeing junky buffalo nickels and merc dimes lying about when I get home from playing golf (I use them to mark my ball and hand out to friends), moved it to the dish.
Out of sight, out of mind. I promptly forgot about it. It darn near wound up back in a little bag filled with tees, sunscreen, and other golf bric-a-brac. Pretty nice 1915 buff. The brilliance is off the charts (my old Casio camera freaks when a piece is too reflective). And the obverse in particular is fantastic.
Ever had a close call with tossing out a nice coin?
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing coin. What a great strike.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Wonderful coin and right now a decent 1913 T2 is in my couch, my fingers decided not to work as is usual and down it went. I usually have a blanket covering the cracks so this does not happen but my wife was washing them. I need to learn not to look at the coins when the blankets are being washed. My boys will help get it this weekend so not really lost lol.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GREAT looking coin........but hard to believe that you used it as a ball marker.

OINK
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Nice Buff!
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GREAT looking coin........but hard to believe that you used it as a ball marker.

OINK >>

Agreed!
  • Options

<< <i>GREAT looking coin........but hard to believe that you used it as a ball marker.
    OINK >>

I didn't use it as a ball marker. I said I almost did. I use only post-1934 coins for ball-marking. You know why? Because marking your ball with a coin minted prior to 1934 is prohibited under Rule 35-3a. It also is a violation of U.S. Penal Code 2645, Section 46.
    OINK
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that is is well struck!! The reverse is over the top with a bold strike. It's a good thing ya found it in time.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool coin
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure makes a hell of a ball marker.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Guy - Is that die corrosion on the obverse? It looks a bit like a rash.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I retrieved a G25C Fractional out of an envelope I had in the "trash" pile.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin Guy, and glad to see you posting.

I always preferred the half dime as a ball marker as an oncoming opponents ball will easily roll over it. Proofs are best as the reflection of the sun makes it easy to find on a bright day.
  • Options

<< <i>I always preferred the half dime as a ball marker as an oncoming opponents ball will easily roll over it. Proofs are best as the reflection of the sun makes it easy to find on a bright day. >>

Hmmm... I never considered using proof coins as ball markers. Great idea! image

• Options

<< <i>Guy - Is that die corrosion on the obverse? It looks a bit like a rash. >>

A little above my pay grade to discern/identify that.
    Ball markers should be dull so as not to distract other players. If Glicker is losing coins placed deliberately on a green, 20 feet from the hole, it indicative either poor eyesight or encroaching Alzheimer's. image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well glad she moved it to the dish for you and did not spend it. Nice 1915.....
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file