Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Latest Project: Messier Registry (2 shy)

I recently started registry sets for a few of my favorite players from each sport. Mays, McCovey and Drysdale...with focus on Mays currently. Jim Brown and Staubach. Kareem. And for hockey, I always preferred Moose to Gretzky (and he's more affordable), so I went for Basic OPC. Just got my 81 today, leaving me only 2 shy of completion. Currently the #2 set...of 2 LOL.

Anyway, this has been a fun and affordable project, and I'll keep my eyes open for the 2 remaining cards, 92 and 00. But now my focus goes back to Mays, Brown, Staubach and Kareem, as good cards at fair prices become available.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Jim!!! I always liked the 1980 set although I got tired as a kid rubbing all my cards to see the names.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Jim, these are very nice. Best of luck with the final 2.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice job Jim!!! I always liked the 1980 set although I got tired as a kid rubbing all my cards to see the names. >>

1980 OPC didn't have the scratch off feature and Messier was not in the 1980 Topps set.
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice job Jim!!! I always liked the 1980 set although I got tired as a kid rubbing all my cards to see the names. >>

1980 OPC didn't have the scratch off feature and Messier was not in the 1980 Topps set. >>

I was only talking about the 1980 card design. That would be a nice trick to rub those 1980 OPC cards, but I never saw them here in New York. I would have bought them up instead of the Topps version just to avoid scratching them off, LOL.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

1980 OPC didn't have the scratch off feature and Messier was not in the 1980 Topps set. >>

I was only talking about the 1980 card design. That would be a nice trick to rub those 1980 OPC cards, but I never saw them here in New York. I would have bought them up instead of the Topps version just to avoid scratching them off, LOL. >>

LOL. And I've always thought the whole scratch off idea of that Topps set has been under appreciated.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Vintage Fun. I am considering doing the same thing for Don Mattingly. Good luck and have fun.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."