Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Cello Pack [Response From Seller]

I am not sure where the previous thread went and how that happens but here is some good info:

===============
I asked the seller:

Hi Howard,

Has Steve Hart reviewed this pack recently or just back when it was graded? If he is stating that now, that would make me feel more comfortable about its authenticity.

And his response:

I just inquired with the owner of the pack and this is what I have found out. In light of the "Jose" unauthentic cello debacle a year or 2 back, the consignor and Steve Hart decided mutually to have Steve take a close look at his cello collection (which only consisted of 4 Psa graded cello packs including the Ryan) in order to sniff out any potential tampering and double check their authenticity. According to the consignor, Steve was just as interested in physically reassessing each of these 4 cellos to make sure he had gotten the authenticity call "right". And according to the consignor, upon an in-hand and lengthy review of the 4 cello packs, each was determined to be 100% authentic according to Steve.

The consignor has a long standing (15 years+) and impeccable reputation in the hobby (and also outside the hobby). He has bought and sold quite a few of the true hobby grails in cardboard (1951 Bowman Mantle Psa 10 for example) and Psa/Dna authenticated autographed pieces.

Regards, Howard
===============

Comments

• Well this should be interesting from here on out
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    So the owner of the pack went directly to the authenticator and not through PSA?

• << <i>So the owner of the pack went directly to the authenticator and not through PSA? >>

I didn't ask that question, but from what Howard is telling me is Steve was very interested in making sure his previous call was correct and that after "an in-hand and lengthy review" of the 4 cello packs, each was determined to be 100% authentic according to Steve.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So the owner of the pack went directly to the authenticator and not through PSA? >>

I didn't ask that question, but from what Howard is telling me is Steve was very interested in making sure his previous call was correct and that after "an in-hand and lengthy review" of the 4 cello packs, each was determined to be 100% authentic according to Steve. >>

I would love to know how this was done. If he went directly to the authenticator, did the authenticator have the ability to safely crack open the case and then properly put the slab back together? Or would that not need to happen?
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any skin in the unopened game, so forgive me if I'm asking something that shouldn't be asked. I don't see any actual certification from Steve that this cello has been re-reviewed and deemed authentic. Shouldn't that be a given on a high-profile item like this?
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does PSA stand behind cello packs like they do cards?

If they do it seems like a lot of exposure for a small amount of grading fees.

The same reason that grading the Star Basketball cards is not a profitable business decision. It only takes a few bad one's to ruin all of the good one's.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's another troubling conflict of interest within this system. There's a pretty strong financial motivation not to acknowledge mistakes.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's another troubling conflict of interest within this system. There's a pretty strong financial motivation not to acknowledge mistakes. >>

I am not sure what a cello pack grading fee is on average but lets just say it is $25. This could easily be a $20,000 pack.

Collectors Universe has a 20.73% operating margin so just using this number you need 3,859.14 profitable submissions to offset this one loss. Way to much risk.

This seems like an area they should either not be in or put no financial guarantee on. If the best in the business can be fooled on a number of occasions this seems like something they should reevaluate.

I don't know if this pack is fake but just giving an example. Just like the Star cards where a PSA 9 Jordan could easily be a $10,000+ plus card and the downside risk is huge.

• If it got past Steve Hart once, what has he learned to stop it from getting by his review?
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Way to much risk >>

Corporations that carry above average risk, usually pay for something called insurance to help cover that risk.
This discussion has been closed.