Home Sports Talk
Options

Might as well get started on the topic of Tony Romo, 2014.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
He did not play in the Dallas-Denver preseason finale last night so there is no way anyone can say that he is the reason the Cowboys lost.

Let the 2014 Romo debates begin.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He did not play in the Dallas-Denver preseason finale last night so there is no way anyone can say that he is the reason the Cowboys lost.

Let the 2014 Romo debates begin. >>

You are a bit late to the game for 2014, Sanction. image

Romeo is a decent QB, but certainly not up to the standards of America's team!
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    He will do just fine.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the upgrades Dallas made on defense this offseason (read: none), he better average 4 TDs a game and/or 350 yards passing just to keep the game close!

Somewhere, Aikman is smiling and looking back on not even being forced to throw the ball at all in the 4th quarter most games..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are doomed this year. We were poor on defense last year and 2 of our best were let go by the ever ignorant Jerry Jones. Our very good MLB is out for the year. We have an idiot head coach. And to top all of that off.....we have a QB that can't win in crunch time. Plus one good hit on Tony will probably retire him.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will probably get one of their wins via an upset win. And at least two of their losses will be where they are themselves upset. Seems thats the way the NFL goes with parity being what it is.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I heard a discussion today on KNBR between the morning radio host and his counterpart in Dallas. The discussion was about the 49rs and Cowboys this year [they play this weekend to open their seasons]. The Dallas radio guy said thast even though reports have been that Romo is fully recovered from his medical problems, so far this preseason he has been practicing only every other day. If that is true, it is likely that he is not fully recovered and at 100%.

If Romo is not healthy it could be that he will not be able to withstand the punishment of full season and that at sometime this year he will be injured and have to miss some games.
  • Options
    It's going to be a VERY long year.

I don't know who they would be favored over???image
  • Options
    If Romo is placed on IR, you are looking at 3-13, Cowpoke fans...you will wish you had Romo back, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    >>>If Romo is placed on IR, you are looking at 3-13, Cowpoke fans...you will wish you had Romo back, LOL.. <<<

We had a chance to better ourselves at QB and JJ had a brain fart!

Gtote...I don't know why you love Romo so much.....but you can have him!!!
  • Options

<< <i>>>>If Romo is placed on IR, you are looking at 3-13, Cowpoke fans...you will wish you had Romo back, LOL.. <<<

We had a chance to better ourselves at QB and JJ had a brain fart!

Gtote...I don't know why you love Romo so much.....but you can have him!!! >>

Who, Johhny Manziel?? LOL!!!

• Options
    >>>Who, Johhny Manziel?? LOL!!! <<<

We don't know what Johnny can do YET!

We do KNOW what Tony can do.....CHOKE!!image
  • Options

<< <i>>>>Who, Johhny Manziel?? LOL!!! <<<

We don't know what Johnny can do YET!

We do KNOW what Tony can do.....CHOKE!!image >>

As usual, you have no clue, man..

• Options
    Again....I bow to the "ALL KNOWING" Grote!image
  • Options

<< <i>Again....I bow to the "ALL KNOWING" Grote!image >>

A curtsy would be just fine, LOL..

• Options
    >>>A curtsy would be just fine.<<<

Sorry there will be no curtsy.image
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    oh boy.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY!

Signed

Cowboy Fans
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a Cowboy fan all my life but OMG!!! image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly....downright....awful.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Somehow grote will have Tony up for player of the week!image
  • Options
    3 picks in one half~Dimeman is in his glory!! Better than a Cowboy win for him, LOL!!

• Options
    >>>WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY!

WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY!<<<

+ 100,000,000
  • Options
    >>>3 picks in one half~Dimeman is in his glory!! Better than a Cowboy win for him, LOL!! <<<

If you think I enjoy Tony failing...you don't understand me at all!!!

It's just Tony being Tony....wake up folks...he is a LOSER!!!

What does it take to see and understand this. What a joke he is!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    C'mon Dimeman, who are you fooling? You root harder for Tony to fail than for the Cowboys to win. It's so obvious even a non-Cowboy fan can see it.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! WE WANT TROY! >>

Makes my side ache-man.
  • Options
    >>>C'mon Dimeman, who are you fooling? You root harder for Tony to fail than for the Cowboys to win. It's so obvious even a non-Cowboy fan can see it. <<<

Wrong again Buck-Wheat!!!! I just see him for what he is....a LOSER! He has made his rep.......not me!
  • Options
    This new football season looks like it will generate lots of spirited discussion on this forum about Dallas, Romo, Garrett and Jones. The pro and anti crowds already have lots of grist for the mill (4 first half Dallas turnovers including 3 interceptions) and the game is only half over.

Post away.
  • Options
    The Dallas defense is actually playing pretty good. Line that is....the secondary couldn't cover my mother and she is 90 with a broken ankle. The O-line is good...the running game is good. Murray has more than made up for his fumble.

We should just run the ball and take the ball out of Tony's hands.

It's sad when a sack is a good thing....because at least he can't throw a pick!image
  • Options
    Well, I have to give this loss to Tony. Sorry grote.....I know how much you like him.

There's always next week.image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I have to give this loss to Tony. Sorry grote.....I know how much you like him.

There's always next week.image >>

I'm not the Cowboy fan who celebrates a loss with a smiley face.

For you, this is a win...Romo played poorly, that's all that counts.

• Options
    It's not a smiley face...it's a big grin. Please get your emotions straight.

And it is not celebrating a loss....it's a sarcastic emotion brought on by yet another brilliant day by Romo! image
  • Options

<< <i>It's not a smiley face...it's a big grin. Please get your emotions straight.

And it is not celebrating a loss....it's a sarcastic emotion brought on by yet another brilliant day by Romo! image >>

Yes, I stand corrected~on the emoticon list it's actually described as a "big grin." Like I said, it sums up your emotions perfectly, Dimeman. You are a true fan! image

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Wow.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I benched Aaron Rodgers in my fantasy league this week (due to facing Seattle) and started..........(wait for it).......Tony Romo.
    Amazingly, the net result was only losing 1.32 points but still, come on, Tony.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Tony is 2nd string material. Always has been and always will be. I just don't understand why the head ups don't realize it yet! Maybe another year without a post season game will do the trick......not
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no Romo apologist, but if you think for one second that the Cowboys' problems begin and end with him, then it's time to start looking at this franchise through a different prism.

First and foremost, Jerry Jones is a businessman. That hat looks very good on him, as Real Madrid is the only sports team worth more than the Dallas Cowboys. So when his little play toy once again watches other teams play more than 16 games this season, I assure you he won't lose a wink of sleep. If his eyes do happen to get moist for a split second, he'll be dabbing them with Benjamins.

If you're a DC fan, clearly the status quo is not acceptable. One playoff victory in almost two decades is really hard to fathom for "America's Team." If you're JJ, the status quo is copacetic, however. And that, my friends, is why the Cowboys will continue to languish in mediocrity. Until he has an epiphany and decides to become a hands-off owner, nothing will change. Expect more bad drafts, more subpar coaches, and more inexplicably inflated contracts.

With the proper perspective now in place, let's now turn to his signal caller. I just don't think he's that good. Never have. Does he show signs of brilliance? Sure he does. Does his composition of work merit $108 mil over 6 years? Surely you jest. The guy has won one playoff game his entire career. I know it's a team sport, but when that much scratch is deposited into your bank account, you're expected to do otherworldly things. When it's 48-48 with less than two minutes remaining -- in a passing league, mind you -- you're paid all of those zeros to ram the ball down the field and give your team an opportunity to win the game. Doesn't matter how well you've played for the first 58 minutes of the game. Doesn't matter how porous your defense is. If you're paid more money than anyone else on the team, you're expected to make plays when the game is on the line -- on a consistent basis. To further that point, I don't know about any of you guys, but if I bat .500, .667 or even .750, I can guarandamntee you I'd be looking for another job -- and I won't make $108 million my entire life! So as we invariably discuss Mr. Romo over the next 4 months or so, it's for these reasons why I'll more than likely be glancing at some of my esteemed brethren while on the other end of the spectrum.

In summation, yes, I think a large portion of the onus should be placed on Tony Romo based on his erratic play. Once again, you make more money than anyone else, more is expected from you. But -- and this but is a ginormous one -- when the clock strikes 0:00, an even larger portion of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the owner. Jerry Jones, in my opinion, has cultivated a losing atmosphere since the glory days of the 90s. And until he either changes his tune or leaves this planet -- neither of which will probably happen any time soon -- the status quo will remain entrenched.

• Options
    galaxy27 - I TOTALLY AGREE with everything you just posted!

Thank GOD I am not the only one that sees this!!!!!

I have been screaming this for years! When people like grote go on about how great Tony is.......it makes me PUKE!

BTW folks......the QB we just faced is one of many that I would trade Romo for.....IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!

Why in the world would Jerry sign Romo to that big contract is BEYOND me.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I hate Tony Romo just as much as the next guy (I'm a Redskins fan), but I do not believe Tony Romo is the problem in Dallas.

Did he lose this game? Yes, I think he gave it away, but don't think for a second that you'll be better with anyone but Romo. I would think Tony Romo is somewhere between the 15th and 20th best QB in the league, right about average. There's a huge drop-off after him though. Would you rather have McCown? or Shaub? or any of the other cruddy QB's out there? No. Romo isn't the problem in Dallas. If you had some sort of super quarterback with the poise of Tom Brady, talent of Peyton Manning and speed of RGIII you'll still be an 8 and 8 team.

Fix the rest of the team and if you guys still suck then go back and get rid of Romo.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    >>> If you had some sort of super quarterback with the poise of Tom Brady, talent of Peyton Manning and speed of RGIII you'll still be an 8 and 8 team.<<<

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! He is not the only problem, BUT if we had a QB as mentioned above.......we make the playoffs easy.

Here is my list of problems at Dallas with the biggest at top and then down:

1) Tony Romo
    2) The defensive secondary
    3) The HC
    4) The owner

And really the first 3 are Jerry's fault! He doesn't draft for $hit....signs a choker QB.....and hires a bystander for a coach!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! He is not the only problem, BUT if we had a QB as mentioned above.......we make the playoffs easy.

Here is my list of problems at Dallas with the biggest at top and then down:

1) Tony Romo
    2) The defensive secondary
    3) The HC
    4) The owner

And really the first 3 are Jerry's fault! He doesn't draft for $hit....signs a choker QB.....and hires a bystander for a coach!!! >>

I disagree. The Cowboys have the worst defense in the league (and possibly in NFL history). Last year they had one of the worst defenses in the league and they succeeded to get EVEN WORSE during the offseason! There is no way your offense will be able to win without addressing your ENTIRE defense first.

Actual lists of Cowboys problems (in order):
    1) Jerry Jones
    2) Cowboy fans
    3) Defensive Secondary
    4) Jerry Jones
    5) Defensive Line
    6) Defensive Secondary
    7) Coaching (Jason Garrett isn't a bad coach, but the Cowboys really need someone who can stand up to Jerry Jones and his micromanagement)
    8) Jerry Jones (see above)
    9) Receiving depth (outside of Dez Bryant, the Cowboys really do not have much depth. Terrance Williams looks like a solid WR3/4 and Jason Witten isn't all that reliable any more)
    10) Tony Romo

Tony Romo isn't THAT bad. Yes, he has made some mistakes in the clutch and has a turnover problem, but he really truly honest-to-God is not a bad quarterback. With the right coaching he can even be a GREAT quarterback. Romo is easy to blame, but the Cowboys are so messed up it's hardly his fault they suck. Put it this way, if the Cowboys had the entire 2013 Seattle Seahawks defensive roster and the entire 2013 Denver Broncos offensive roster, they still would have gone 8 and 8. That's how messed up the front office is.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    I went to to "Why the Cowboys suck" site. Very little worth reading....mostly idiotic.
  • Options

<< <i>I went to to "Why the Cowboys suck" site. Very little worth reading....mostly idiotic. >>

That should be right up your alley then, Dimeman, LOL!