Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anybody know who EWP is ? Holds #1 position on the Franklin Registry...

… at least for the time being. He and LOR seem to be locked in a heated battle for the top spot.

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Both are great sets. I wonder who has the lone 53 S in 66FBL?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really is a close race. The #2 set has the 53-S 66FL.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That really is a close race. The #2 set has the 53-S 66FL. >>

No. The #2 set (LOR) has the MS65FBL 1953-S that bushmaster8 made some years ago.

The lone 1953-S MS66FBL (that was doctored by the late/great Steve Leber) resides in the JFS set, currently in the #3 spot.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That really is a close race. The #2 set has the 53-S 66FL. >>

No. The #2 set (LOR) has the MS65FBL 1953-S that bushmaster8 made some years ago.

The lone 1953-S MS66FBL (that was doctored by the late/great Steve Leber) resides in the JFS set, currently in the #3 spot. >>

What exactly did he do to this coin? I've never seen a photo, I have no idea of what it looks like.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Steve Leber Doctor a Franklin?!?!image

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I got some answers (this is all just hearsay):

Apparently GRFN decided to sell his set intact to EBW. I think mebbe Rick Tomaska brokered the sale. EBW then sent the entire set for yet another regrade, got a couple of bumps, then broke up the set. It is no longer current.

Meanwhile, LOR added a few upgrades (possibly some from the GRFN/EBW set?) and is now firmly ensconced in the #1 All Time position where I think he will stay now. I can't see anyone ever surpassing the present LOR set.

WELL DONE LORimage
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when that 1953-S MS66FBL was popped in one of the last generation green holders right before PCGS went blue. It was really stunning and seen a couple of pictures in issues of both Coinworld and Coinage mags.

I'm sure there is a picture of that coin somewhere floating around this website.

I'm on the HUNT!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hope you find it Stooge, I'd like to see a photo of that coin!

So if it was doctored as some claim, what exactly was done?

(Edited to ask a question.)
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin was in a green holder, and was pictured in a coin world magezine I used to get back in the day. I never threw out my old mags (No pun intended), so I will look though them to find the original picture.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin was indeed in an OGH and the Cert # was 6548755.

Too much has been made of this coin setting records for a Franklin as being sold for $69,000. At the B&M auction in Jan 2001 where the coin was auctioned, it turned into a two person bidding war past $30,000. Two or three bidders dropped out in the high $20s. It was sold to a newer collector who could not seem to put his hand down. To make matters worse, the winning bidder did not have the funds to pay for the coin! I know that it was several months past the auction date and the coin was not yet paid for. The coin was auctioned at Heritage in August 2001 (as I recall without finding my notes) in order to pay towards the first auction debt. I don't recall whether the $69k was ever fully paid.

The linked picture from the Heritage auction does not depict the true look of the coin. The coin is much more pastel toned, and not nearly as dark as shown in Heritage. There is a picture in the B&M January 2001 catalog and on its front cover that is much more accurate.

The coin, originally out of a mint set, was toned over.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.