Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Wife Thinks I'm Crazy

I began collecting baseball cards in 1978 at the age of eight. I wrapped them in rubber bands and stored them in a shoebox. I also flipped and traded them in school. It was not until 1988 that I completed my first set. I purchased wax packs at a local pharmacy in Terre Haute, Indiana. I then immediately stored the cards properly and safely. When it was time to complete the set, I purchased raw cards at sports card shows that year. Completing that set was the most fun that I ever had with the hobby.

I thought that it would be fun to do the same thing with the 1978 Topps Baseball set. I am in the process of purchasing unopened wax packs. I am storing the cards properly and safely. When it is time to complete the set, I plan on purchasing raw cards in mint condition. I am also purchasing 45 star cards graded PSA MINT 9. When my wife realized how much this was costing, she asked the dreaded question. "How much would it cost to just purchase the complete set?" I explained that it would only cost $200, but it is unlikely that any of the cards would be in mint condition. I also explained that I would not have any fun doing that. "You're crazy," she said. Is she right?
"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikey - Totally agree that it's great fun and most satisfying to build a set from the ground up. The thrill is in the chase.
    Daniel
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club. My wife is convinced I am completely looney as a consequence
    of my hobby.

I keep telling her it's either this or an affair, take your pick.

In all seriousness, the way you're approaching it is a lot more fun. The additional cost is justified
    by the extra enjoyment you get out of the endeavor.

At least you're fixated on a set that still has a somewhat reasonable price point.

Good luck with the effort. Hope you post some pictures when you get it all done.

Dave
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    That's great..totally brings me back to what it's all about!!! Thanks for sharing.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    At age 43 it is time for the dreaded mid life crisis thing. Tell your wife at least you are not going out to buy an expensive sports car. (Assuming you're not image )
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time she calls you crazy, just explain to her how crazy it is to spend $300 on a Coach hand bag.

Good luck on the set! I like the way you plan on building it.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I just did some simple arithmetic. I have already collected 245 cards since February. 21 of those cards are stars that I purchased graded PSA MINT 9. I have been purchasing a PSA MINT 9 star card every time I purchase an unopened wax pack. I also have a stack of 61 doubles, 13 of which are stars.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    I am in Chicago for short get away. In norstrams with wife. She shows me a pair of shoes 1300. Really I say. She did not get. But the point was made. We choose what we want to spend money on and how we do. Journey is part of the fun
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you're enjoying it. Opening packs is certainly fun, but economically it doesn't make much sense anymore. With a 1978 wax pack at $65, you can buy 12 PSA 9 commons for that price. Can't afford too many miscut and OCs at $65 a pack!

That said, I'm enjoying building this set also. Salut!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I will be 62 in September, have been married for 25 years and every time I make a purchase related to cards my wife still thinks I am looney tunes......so hang in there and enjoy your hobby.

al.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am in Chicago for short get away. In norstrams with wife. She shows me a pair of shoes 1300. Really I say. She did not get. But the point was made. We choose what we want to spend money on and how we do. Journey is part of the fun >>

I was going to say spending $300 on a purse is getting off easy these days. I am far to familiar with Gucci, Chanel, David Yurman, Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and on and on. Her response is you want me to look hot don't you. Don't really have a good response for that one. LOL

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "I am in Chicago for short get away. In norstrams with wife. She shows me a pair of shoes 1300."

Christmas is just around the corner. Just sayin' image
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am in Chicago for short get away. In norstrams with wife. She shows me a pair of shoes 1300. Really I say. She did not get. But the point was made. We choose what we want to spend money on and how we do. Journey is part of the fun >>

I was going to say spending $300 on a purse is getting off easy these days. I am far to familiar with Gucci, Chanel, David Yurman, Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and on and on. Her response is you want me to look hot don't you. Don't really have a good response for that one. LOL >>

She used that already...don't I look hot in them? She does look great. But it is eye opening see what her stuff cost. Verses. I have the same shirt and jeans from a few years ago. That is okay. We banter about it. Keeps us young. Trying to find card shot close by michigan ave.
  • Options

<< <i>"I am in Chicago for short get away. In norstrams with wife. She shows me a pair of shoes 1300."

Christmas is just around the corner. Just sayin' image >>

She likes you already...

We drove from iowa city to Chicago for spray tan and getting hair done.

I got tan in the car ride over and cost cutters I have 3 more 9 dollar hair cuts left. Hmmm seems a little out of balance at times.

So keep enjoying hobby ...we are all insane in some way.
  • Options

<< <i>Can't afford too many miscut and OCs at $65 a pack! >>

You said it Paul Maul. The centering on this set is absolutely killing me.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was going to say spending $300 on a purse is getting off easy these days. I am far to familiar with Gucci, Chanel, David Yurman, Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and on and on. Her response is you want me to look hot don't you. Don't really have a good response for that one. LOL >>

Your so hot accessories like a purse or shoes diverts attention away from your hotness

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 3:58PM
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I am completing the 1972, 1975 and 1976 set that way. I needed to do the 1972 because it was the year I was born. I found a box of 75's and 76's at a flea market for $20 and the cards were in amazing near mint condition. The corners were sharp and the were no creases so i had to complete those sets afterwards right? After these three are done. Hopefully in novemebr when I hit the Wilmington Ma. show, I will continue on my Bowman Yankee team set collection which I put down for a few years when the sets started to call.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Her response is you want me to look hot don't you. Don't really have a good response for that one. LOL >>

This one is easy.

"You already look hot."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your so hot accessories like a purse or shoes diverts attention away from your hotness >>

Haha

If it were only that easy.

Keep in mind they have a few body parts we don't. image

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    $200 buys another collector's 1978 Topps set. Building it from the bottom up makes it your set. Clearly the money is worth it to us. The problem is that there is no way to convince the wife of that.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I initially had similar intentions, but considering it would take me a minimum of 2 boxes, ripped, plus grading fees on the stars, and whatever cost was involved in the completion, I just couldn't justify it for any set pre-81.

So...I've been choosing to buy complete sets, and considering them like a super-pack. Now I can root through them and pull the cards that fit my desired grade, or have that pack fresh feel. Then open as many packs as I'm willing looking for gap-fillers, improvements, and gradeable stars, before hunting for the balance. This also ensures that you have the complete set, at all times, in case you feel the need to get out of it at some point or are just ready to retire the project.

Good Luck.
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    If money is absolutely no object to you, the way you're doing it is the most fun way. But man.
    $70 per wax pack, and you might get three usable cards for your set on average, and the more cards you have the less likely the three usable cards will be ones you need......
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If money is absolutely no object to you, the way you're doing it is the most fun way. But man.
    $70 per wax pack, and you might get three usable cards for your set on average, and the more cards you have the less likely the three usable cards will be ones you need...... >>

Exactly. And the more common PSA 9s can literally be had for $4-5.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely cheaper to buy pre-graded cards but not as fun for me, personally, though prices are higher now, you can still find clean 78 wax in $40-$50 range, still pricey, yes, but I love to slowly put together graded sets with pack fresh cards, and every now and then, you hit a home run, too. Racks are a great source for high grade cards, too, and you will have plenty of razor sharp albeit OC cards to put together raw sets from. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I don't think that you should build the set from bottom up by ripping unopened. You'll just end up losing tons of money that way. If you really have an urge to build a set from unopened, do it for one of the junk 80s-90s sets, which would be much cheaper. Perhaps you can still rip an occasional 1978 pack if it is somewhat defective, such as the corners of the pack are a bit ripped or the gum is loose. That is, the pack isn't worth it to be slabbed.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep in mind they have a few body parts we don't. image >>

Okay, I've accounted for two of them (well, three if you count the first one as two!!) so what would the other one be????image
  • Options
    Have you used 4 sharp corners. I find a lot of sets I am building I can get the cards. I often find I have to grade multiple times to be the grade I want. So often less expensive just to wait around for the card to pop. But I do enjoy the hunt of doing on my own as we'll

I am working on asa 1982 mantle set. Cards suck and hand many bad grades. But I am in to deep to not complete. Learned my lesson.

Have fun.

• Options

<< <i>$200 buys another collector's 1978 Topps set. Building it from the bottom up makes it your set. >>

Great perspective Dberk12. I never considered it that way. Thanks.

<< <i>Racks are a great source for high grade cards, too, and you will have plenty of razor sharp albeit OC cards to put together raw sets from. Good luck! >>

I have considered that as well. My first goal is to purchase the equivalent of one box of cards. That does not mean that I plan on purchasing 36 unopened wax packs. I may substitute rack packs and cello packs in order to change things up a bit. Thanks Grote.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you used 4 sharp corners. I find a lot of sets I am building I can get the cards. >>

Yes. I have purchased some of my PSA MINT 9 star cards from them, as long as I was happy with the centering. They are great.
  • Options
    There is no right or wrong way to collect.

If you are in it for monetary gain this is obviously not the way to go but if you are in it for fun and are not concerned with losing money then just go for it.

89 Upper Deck

Here is a set that is arguably one of the worst monetary investments in the set world but I am sure the person enjoyed piecing this puzzle together.

I am not one that likes to knowingly lose money with my buys but there are plenty who don't seem to mind and if you fall into this category it is what it is.

Personally I think buying raw sets would be the best idea because you are bound to find some nice cards periodically and if you do you can easily cover your costs and dispose of the ones you don't want for most of what you have in them. In some cases you may hit a home run.

I doubt there are many guys on here whose wives totally get card collecting so you certainly are in the majority.