Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fork in the road...

I have a 1993 Topps Jeter Rookie PSA 10. It's a main piece of my collection. I'm debating on whether or not to sell. If I do decide to sell, in your opinion, is now a good time? If not, when would be?

Comments

• With a nod to Mr. Berra - 'take it'.

I am by no means an expert, but I would say either now or in 5 years if you do decide to sell. But to have a card like that in that condition? Unless you need the money, treasure it.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're going to sell, I think the remaining peak times would be during the farewell tour he's on now, if the Yankees could somehow manage to make it to the playoffs and go on a decent run, upon his official retirement announcement, HOF voting results, HOF induction day, and his eventual death. All but the playoff run are certainties. I don't think you can go wrong with picking any of those times to sell. More PSA 10's may eventually be graded and increase the population report, but you can't be sure about how many or when.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With a nod to Mr. Berra - 'take it'.

I am by no means an expert, but I would say either now or in 5 years if you do decide to sell. But to have a card like that in that condition? Unless you need the money, treasure it. >>

+1

It's either now or when he gets into the HOF.

Dave

<< <i>If you're going to sell, I think the remaining peak times would be during the farewell tour he's on now, if the Yankees could somehow manage to make it to the playoffs and go on a decent run, upon his official retirement announcement, HOF voting results, HOF induction day, and his eventual death. All but the playoff run are certainties. I don't think you can go wrong with picking any of those times to sell. More PSA 10's may eventually be graded and increase the population report, but you can't be sure about how many or when. >>

The odds of more PSA 10s are not quite as good as might be thought. Despite the fact that unopened product for this issue still exists, there are some known issues regarding how well the cards hold up over time in their packaging (sticking together a bit I think, which can sometimes cause foil loss).

Dave
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I believe that now is the best time to sell.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1993 Topps Jeter Rookie PSA 10. It's a main piece of my collection. I'm debating on whether or not to sell. If I do decide to sell, in your opinion, is now a good time? If not, when would be? >>

Topps?

Sell!

Main Piece?image
    Matt

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you're going to sell, I think the remaining peak times would be during the farewell tour he's on now, if the Yankees could somehow manage to make it to the playoffs and go on a decent run, upon his official retirement announcement, HOF voting results, HOF induction day, and his eventual death. All but the playoff run are certainties. I don't think you can go wrong with picking any of those times to sell. More PSA 10's may eventually be graded and increase the population report, but you can't be sure about how many or when. >>

The odds of more PSA 10s are not quite as good as might be thought. Despite the fact that unopened product for this issue still exists, there are some known issues regarding how well the cards hold up over time in their packaging (sticking together a bit I think, which can sometimes cause foil loss). >>

No foil on a 93 Topps Jeter.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    demand is never going to be greater

now is the time (assuming you want to sell it)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't give an opinion unless I knew why you're considering selling it. It's a main piece to your collection so you obviously enjoy the card. Are you looking to add a new cornerstone to your collection with the funds?

<< <i>

<< <i>

The odds of more PSA 10s are not quite as good as might be thought. Despite the fact that unopened product for this issue still exists, there are some known issues regarding how well the cards hold up over time in their packaging (sticking together a bit I think, which can sometimes cause foil loss). >>

No foil on a 93 Topps Jeter. >>

I thought SP was considered his official RC

Dave
  • By waiting...pigs get slaughtered. Sell now. Be happy if it goes up more and be very happy if it goes down.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

No foil on a 93 Topps Jeter. >>

I thought SP was considered his official RC >>

It might be considered the toughest or most desirable, but any Jeter from 93 is a RC.
  • I don't necessarily need to sell it. Yes, it would give me some cash to buy some other stuff. I guess my concern is that down the road I might be remorseful about selling it. I don't want to be sitting around the table 20 years from now explaining to my kids why I sold it and shouldn't have. I guess that's the risk you take. It's been tracking between $75-$100 for awhile now. I've seen them go for as high as $150. I don't think it will lose value over the years.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 1,281 PSA 10's and 6,601 PSA 9's.

You don't have to worry about this card running to the moon. There are not enough collectors to make that happen.

It may go some higher but this is not a rock star card long term.

If you like owing it then keep it. If you think you could benefit from freeing up the cash and having some fire power go that route.

Only you can decide which is more appealing to you.

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    SP is his most desirable card, I would say this is your best time while he's still on everyone's mind.

Yes, when the Hall comes around people will talk about him again but most of the collectors will have already grabbed what they wanted by then.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't necessarily need to sell it. Yes, it would give me some cash to buy some other stuff. I guess my concern is that down the road I might be remorseful about selling it. I don't want to be sitting around the table 20 years from now explaining to my kids why I sold it and shouldn't have. I guess that's the risk you take. It's been tracking between $75-$100 for awhile now. I've seen them go for as high as $150. I don't think it will lose value over the years. >>

I don't know Chris. Seems like a no brained to me. You don't need the money, you may regret it later. I think you answered your own question there bud. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Thanks everyone for your opinions. I appreciate it. I'm gonna hang on to it. I've given it a lot a thought and the truth is that I love it when people come over and are like, "Wow, a Jeter 10!" and I love the idea of passing it on to my kids someday. That's worth more than money in my opinion. Thanks!
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks everyone for your opinions. I appreciate it. I'm gonna hang on to it. I've given it a lot a thought and the truth is that I love it when people come over and are like, "Wow, a Jeter 10!" and I love the idea of passing it on to my kids someday. That's worth more than money in my opinion. Thanks! >>

That's a perfect response and outcome! Enjoy
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball