Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any good card shops in Houston?

I will be visiting Sept 4th-8th and was wanting to check out any good shops. Mainly looking for graded vintage and PSA/DNA autographed cards (baseball).

Thanks!
Michael
Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None that won't have your wallet begging for mercy. But hey, don't fret -- strip clubs are superfluous.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>None that won't have your wallet begging for mercy. But hey, don't fret -- strip clubs are superfluous. >>

+1

If you do an internet search, the main card shops will come up. None of them will get much of an endorsement from locals, and I can't think of a single one I'd send someone who was looking for graded vintage at anything less than 150% of VCP.

All of them I know are basically new packs and a bunch of overpriced stuff they never intend to sell, but leave in the case to make it appear full.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the Houston Sports Connection on Westheimer?

I saw where PSA/DNA was there today.
    Mike
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, guys! I may check out one or so...and report back!
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    Houston Sports Connection will have some inventory, but they're gonna be pretty much full retail on most everything.

They bring in PSA/DNA with a couple other folks in town 2-3 times a year.

ALSO: bf23 is their eBay ID if you want to see what they've got that might not be on display at the store
  • Options

<< <i>Houston Sports Connection will have some inventory, but they're gonna be pretty much full retail on most everything.

ALSO: bf23 is their eBay ID if you want to see what they've got that might not be on display at the store >>

Are they pretty good guys?

I live in San Antonio but like to hit Houston every now and again. We don't have a NY deli style here and I like Kenny & Ziggy's.

I don't mind paying retail if it's something I like. After all, they have rent to pay.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Houston Sports Connection will have some inventory, but they're gonna be pretty much full retail on most everything.
    ALSO: bf23 is their eBay ID if you want to see what they've got that might not be on display at the store >>

Are they pretty good guys?
    I live in San Antonio but like to hit Houston every now and again. We don't have a NY deli style here and I like Kenny & Ziggy's.
    I don't mind paying retail if it's something I like. After all, they have rent to pay. >>

Yeah, they're OK. You kind of gotta get to know them, you know? The owner is Howard, he's been at this as long as I can remember, and he's dabbled in small show promotion and the occasional private signing with like Drexler and/or Hakeem.

I guess if you catch him on the right day or the right item, you can do ok. The packs and boxes are generally pretty competitive I think, I don't really do rips anymore so don't know for sure. I imagine if that's what you like then you can definitely find cheaper at various places.

They did struggle through the decline and are still around, so that says something. They've usually got a good assortment of stuff, there's something for everybody in there.
  • Options
    Thanx David.
    Mike
  • Options
    Also known Howard for a few years. I think he has been there for 15+ years. Still a old fashioned shop with tons of inventory. Pretty sure he makes his nut with on line sales. Does some larger events, Good people, worth the visit.... had some old stuff too.....

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Odyssey Comics and Cards in Katy is okay for a decently priced modern rip, but like others have said, Howard has the most selection.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com