Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collectors Club Submission Fee Increase due to actual grade

This year I have been submitting over 500 cards each month under the monthly collectors club specials and have never had an increase in the quoted monthly special fee before my recent pop. I estimated a value of under $100.00 for each of the cards. In the past, when I have received a PSA 10, despite the SMR value being above 100.00, I was still charged the monthly special price due to my estimate that the card would probably only receive a PSA 9. Today I was notified that due to a few of my submission and their actual grades, I was going to be charged a 12.00 or 17.00 fee for these specific cards now instead of the 6.25 monthly special. The turn time on this submission was over 50 business days, have I been missing something? Despite my 500 cards a month, I don't get any discounts or quicker turn times, and I am OK with that. But now being charged more because I got a few breaks on the actual grade, I'm puzzled.

Appreciate any input from the Veterans out there.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Typically I am happy if my cards grade higher than expected and gladly pay the difference when they receive these grades. It is not unusual for them to increase the fees when the value exceeds the $100 max. As to why they haven't charged you in the past, I cannot say.
  • Options
    I wish I had that happen with my last couple submissions. I have been hit before grading a few times, but never after.
    Vintage Ohio St. football items, always buying, PM me with any you might want to sell.
    Also looking for 2005T FB AA, 1986T FB, 1960T FB autographed cards
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    I'm hoping to have to pay for a couple of upgrade charges on a recent submission. That means the cards graded better than I expected them to. I'd be happy.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow you learn something new everyday.

I was unaware that this ever happens.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    WOW!

Can I get a refund for the card I sent in on the 35 fee expecting it to grade high enough to be 500+, but came back lower than expected and could have been subbed for 17?

I wish...at least they got the turnaround time right.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Echoing the other replies, I think that if you gave someone the choice between subbing cards for monthly special rate and having them come back as 9's, or agreeing at the initial sub rather than after the grades were handed out to just pay the higher rate knowing they'd be coming back 10's, everyone would take the 10's. Obviously that would never happen because a system where you pay more for higher grades would essentially be bribery and undermine the entire industry; however, while not ideal in a situation such as yours, the higher fees are a bit easier to tolerate when you consider the 10's you received.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    You only get charged more if the bump represents a significant amount of value in the card, in which case they charge you accordingly. They charge based on what the cards are after they have been reviewed. So a 9 worth $100 bumped to a 10 that makes it $5000 would cost whatever it costs to have a $5000 card graded
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure they are not increases in the insurance charge for the return shipping considering the value of the cards in a PSA 10? I believe someone on the board had this happen with a Jordan rookie a year or so ago.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Thanks for the inputs! Here are the cards with grades that were bumped to the 17.00 fee. I am fine with this, especially with the grades but again, have never had this happen before.

1969 Topps Mays 8.5
    1969 Topps Yaz 8
    1969 Topps Bench 8
    1972 Topps Kaline 9
    1966 Topps Billy Williams 9
    1968 Topps Tigers Team 9

Of course I am pleased with all these grades. The other 110 Cards graded all over the board from 6 to a few more 9's.

On my Football Vintage, here was what caused the bump in price:

1950 Bowman Otto Graham 7
    1950 Bowman Hirsch 7
    1952 Bowman Large Benners 8
    1952 Bowman Large Walker 7.5
    1950 Bowman Hogan 9

The other 90 or so were once again all over the board from 5's to a few 8's, mostly 7's

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience here and the grades you received on the cards......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the inputs! Here are the cards with grades that were bumped to the 17.00 fee. I am fine with this, especially with the grades but again, have never had this happen before.

1969 Topps Mays 8.5
    1969 Topps Yaz 8
    1969 Topps Bench 8
    1972 Topps Kaline 9
    1966 Topps Billy Williams 9
    1968 Topps Tigers Team 9

Of course I am pleased with all these grades. The other 110 Cards graded all over the board from 6 to a few more 9's.

On my Football Vintage, here was what caused the bump in price:

1950 Bowman Otto Graham 7
    1950 Bowman Hirsch 7
    1952 Bowman Large Benners 8
    1952 Bowman Large Walker 7.5
    1950 Bowman Hogan 9

The other 90 or so were once again all over the board from 5's to a few 8's, mostly 7's >>

What?? The bumped you to $17 for the Kaline? Give me a break- that's like a $130 dollar card.

I've subbed probably 10-13K cards in my life, and I have never once had the submission charge increase after the cards were submitted- and I have had 100's upon 100's of cards come back to me that were clearly worth over $100 slabbed. I could see having this policy in place for cards that were suddenly worth $1K+, but this seems like pure greed if they're enforcing this policy for $100 cards.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've subbed probably 10-13K cards in my life, and I have never once had the submission charge increase after the cards were submitted- and I have had 100's upon 100's of cards come back to me that were clearly worth over $100 slabbed. I could see having this policy in place for cards that were suddenly worth $1K+, but this seems like pure greed if they're enforcing this policy for $100 cards. >>

Same here.
    Whoores....
  • Options
    I had this happen to me once where I sent a card under the $1000 service level, and PSA said that it should have been at the $5000 level. I tried to say that they were looking at old sales data, and the cost of this card had gone down since then, but the fact was, I did pay over $1000 for the card, so it should have gone into the higher service level. For this case, perhaps PSA just felt that too many cards were above the $100 declared value and they needed to upcharge some of them. I'm fine w/ this as long as they didn't say that I need to put these cards into a separate submission w/ it's own shipping charge back to me.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Must have taken them a few hours longer to determine a card was an 8 as opposed to a six.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!

Can I get a refund for the card I sent in on the 35 fee expecting it to grade high enough to be 500+, but came back lower than expected and could have been subbed for 17?

I wish...at least they got the turnaround time right. >>

My thoughts exactly!
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    Sounds like a positive problem. Did not know they did this. But would be okay with.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    4SC must hate all those extra charges.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Wow never happened to me either
    I just had a 75 Reggie Jackson get a 9, but I was expecting an 8
    In 9 it's a $300 card
    I heard nothing from psa about the $6 fee I paid

I would repeat what others as above, that I wouldn't fault them for doing it on a card that is worth $1000 plus, or some other obvious example. But to do it on cards that do not greatly exceed the max value, that is BS

So will psa now be researching VCP once they grade orders to see what cards are selling for in the grades they were just assigned? And if not VCP, how do they determine value? SMR? Please

I'd call them and complain
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I'm not too into the idea of a price change after the grade. That's a financial insentive to give a higher grade.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never liked, understood or agreed with the whole charging different rates based on the "possible" value of the card. There are many reasons that could justify varying fees, but value is not one of them in my opinion.

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>I've never liked, understood or agreed with the whole charging different rates based on the "possible" value of the card. There are many reasons that could justify varying fees, but value is not one of them in my opinion.

Scott >>

PSA guarantees the authenticity and grade when slabbing. It's like insurance. Don't you think it should cost more to insure something of higher value? Or if someone comes to PSA and states that this 1986 Fleer MJ PSA 10 is fake, should PSA say that this card was originally slabbed at bulk rate with declared valued up to $100, so we'll just reimburse you $100?
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    It has admittedly been several years since I sent in a bulk order, but I have likely subbed close to 10,000 cards and am shocked that they would do this. The risk of exploiting a potential conflict of interest is not worth the extra charge. It would make sense to charge more for return shipping, because that money would not go to PSA, but to protect the customer's investment.

As some have said, this would have to be applied in reverse as well, in order to preserve the appearance of integrity.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !