Home Sports Talk
Options

Auction Draft

Has anyone ever done an auction draft? I did my first one a few days ago, and I
enjoyed it immensely. I went for team depth as opposed to having a superstar. (or 2)

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I have never participated in an auction draft. I think that it is more popular in fantasy baseball.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I did one in the late 80s in college, back when it was still called rotisserie baseball. It was cool.

Never have done it with fantasy football and not terribly interested in getting that complicated with FFB, either. I have enough numbers swimming around my head as it is. image
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    In 1995 our 12 team roto fantasy baseball league had a live auction draft. I live in a small town of about 10,000 and we were able to get a local auctioneer to conduct the process. Each owner had $25 million to build a 25 man roster. Opening bids on a player brought up for auction started at $100 thousand and bid increments were a minimum of $100 thousand. Even our local newspaper stopped by to take pictures and did a neat write up for the local paper (our mayor was one of the 12 team owners). While it was great to try this approach, it did take almost 10 hours to complete the auction. This year, 2014, we celebrated our 30th anniversay of our fantasy league. We meet each March to hold our draft but no more auctions, just a bunch of old farts!