Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fresh Autographs from Baseball Dinner - Doc Gooden & friends

Anybody else going to This?

This will be my third year going with my dad and brother. The food sucks, but the autograph guests are tremendous and the money goes to charity. I would recommend going, and if any forum members do go it would be great to meet and put faces with screen names!

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I live on the west coast so I won't be going, but that is a pretty good guest list. Looks like fun.
    Steve
  • Options
    I would take that rotation! McLain, Tiant, Gooden and Carpenter!

Edit to add: word is Alex Cobb will be there too.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of fun, and is for a great cause.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great time. While Denny McLain has had many a run in with the law over the years, the two times I've met him we've had pretty indepth conversations about life and baseball. I have a bat, baseball, mini helmet, photo, and even a 45 record signed by him that he tried to buy from me. The guy is also an invention genius. Have fun!
  • Options
    Yeah I met Denny last year and he was awesome.
  • Options
    Am I the only board member going tomorrow night?

I'm getting cards signed by Doc Gooden, Luis Tiant, Chris Carpenter, Bob Stanley, Rich Gedman, Jake McGee, Richie Scheinblum, Brock Holt, John Frascatore.

Getting a ball signed by Lou Merloni, Greg LaRocca and some current minor leaguers

Denny McLain is signing my 11 year old's autograph book and Scott McGregor is signing my 8 year old's book

Would be cool to meet a board member or 2.
  • Options
    Here's the haul from last night.....

These 3 (Tiant, Gooden, Carpenter) are headed to PSA soon for red flips. You might not be able to tell, but the Carpenter is serial numbered /299. The Tiant is part of my 1974 Topps Red Sox team set. I collected the whole thing raw, and since then I've gotten the Bernie Carbo signed (and PSA 7), a PSA 8 Yaz, and got this Tiant autographed, soon to be authenticated and graded.

Here are the rest of my signed cards:

Holt got a kick out of signing that double A card from his days with the Altoona Curve.

Got some autographs in my program. I won't show all of the pages, but here are a couple of highlights:

None of these autos on the cover match the photos, it was just all I had on hand. In the center, that's former major league star Gary Matthews. He was a last minute surprise guest. I wish I'd known he was gonna be there, as I have several cards of his and could have had him sign one. To the left is Paralympian Victoria Arlen, who won a gold medal and 3 silvers at the London games. To the right is a former pitching star for St. John's U, Nick Cenatiempo, who is now a college pitching coach.

• Options
    2 more autos to show, got one for each of my sons

Denny McLain with a cool inscription. And Scott McGregor.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Dan.

Looks like a super event! Didn't remember that NH was the 'granite state' - I'll refrain from any "political" joke/statement.

This is for John - jmaciu

What do ya notice about this John?

This is the future.
    Mike
  • Options

This is a keeper! Great year in baseball - what a world series!
    Mike
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Dan!

That Frascatore card is cool. Comin' right at ya.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Great choice to have Doc Gooden sign his 1986 Topps card. It looks amazing! I am glad you had a good time as well.
  • Options

<< <i>image

This is a keeper! Great year in baseball - what a world series! >>

I agree. During the Q&A, it was fun listening to McLain reminisce about that Series, particularly the Lolich/Gibson showdown in game 7.

McLain was there last year and I came away with this:

One of my favorite autographed pieces I own.
  • Options

<< <i>That Frascatore card is cool. Comin' right at ya. >>

Edited: it seems that the inscription he wrote for my brother actually said "Taiwan Cy Young."
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Dan ... seems like you had a fun time.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dan - the 70T auto card is incredible!

I assume the 8 is the card grade - it's sharp - a beauty.

I have a Denny McLain Baseball Board Game BTW.
    Mike
  • Options
    Yes, it's the card grade. I'm sending in Tiant, Carpenter and Gooden for the same service. In the past I've sent in autographed cards for this service that I got at the dinner of Carpenter (he's there every year), Bernie Carbo and Fred McGriff
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Were they friendly guys for the most part? Does Tiant still have a neat moustache?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Tiant has a great stache. All the guys were very nice. Gooden seemed to really appreciate being there. Gary Matthews was probably the most outgoing, followed by Merloni. Carpenter has a reputation as an a-hole, but I've met him 3 times and he's always seemed nice. Plus he's one of the organizers of this charity dinner and is there every year. During the Q&A Tiant was a superstar. McLain told great stories last year and this year. Rich Gedman fun to listen to as well. He got there late, so was the only auto we didn't get.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tiant has a great stache. All the guys were very nice. Gooden seemed to really appreciate being there. Gary Matthews was probably the most outgoing, followed by Merloni. Carpenter has a reputation as an a-hole, but I've met him 3 times and he's always seemed nice. Plus he's one of the organizers of this charity dinner and is there every year. During the Q&A Tiant was a superstar. McLain told great stories last year and this year. Rich Gedman fun to listen to as well. He got there late, so was the only auto we didn't get. >>

Awesome, sounds like a nice time. I enjoy reading your threads. You have an enjoyment of the hobby that is fun to see and I like the way you share it with your family too

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you had a blast! It looks like the top corners on the Doc got touched since I last saw that card, not sure if it will 8 now, but a sweet auto regardless. I wish they had something like that in this area.
  • Options
    Yeah, I noticed the top corners too. Must have been from being handled by myself and Doc. Still, worth it if that's the price to get it signed. Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tiant has a great stache. All the guys were very nice. Gooden seemed to really appreciate being there. . >>

Gooden is a great guy. I met him once at a local Subway years ago. He was very down to earth and just a genuinely nice person.

Thanks for sharing your day Dan.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice post and a nice event you get to share with your sons. Thanks for posting the pics.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice post and a nice event you get to share with your sons. Thanks for posting the pics. >>

Thanks, but actually I go with my dad, brother and brother in law. But I always get one autograph for each kid and then my brother gives them others from the dinner for Christmas.