Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Topps set build update

I'm a little over 60% completed with this small Topps set (206 cards is the whole set). The goal is to collect the HOFers in PSA 4-5 grade and the rest of the set ungraded. One thing I've discovered is the lower PSA grades can be all over the place. The Berra card is really bad for a 4 and the Aaron card is much better than many 5's that I own and at least the equivalent of the Irvin 6 shown here.
It's been fun so far piecing this colorful set together....and that's what the hobby is all about!

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Very nice looking set, Daniel. Best of luck on completing it.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice looking set, Daniel. Best of luck on completing it. >>

+1, I haven't ventured into trying to complete any 50's sets yet, but the photos and color of this one make it tempting.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One cool thing about this set is that the cards are easy to acquire (as opposed to my '71 Topps Greatest Moments project). The real killer will be getting a decent Clemente. Of course, I could always get this one for a mere $300:

Text
    Daniel
  • Options

<< <i>One cool thing about this set is that the cards are easy to acquire (as opposed to my '71 Topps Greatest Moments project). The real killer will be getting a decent Clemente. Of course, I could always get this one for a mere $300:

Text >>

How much more for him to throw in the rest of the card?
  • Options
    I really like this project! One question: you're getting the HOFers in PSA slabs, but what's with the PSA Newhouser? Did he just happen to come in a lot with others you needed?
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the progress so far! That is a gorgeous set. The '53 - '56 sets are as much artwork as they are sportscards to me.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like this project! One question: you're getting the HOFers in PSA slabs, but what's with the PSA Newhouser? Did he just happen to come in a lot with others you needed? >>

Dan - Newhouser was inducted in 1992. There is one non-HOFer that I will get graded (Hodges) and one that I'll collect raw (Billy Herman, since it's a coach card).
    Daniel
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, and I think your observation is correct. I notice the big difference between a grade of 5 and 6. There seems to be a lot of factors in the less graded cards that isn't even a factor in 7+ grades.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really like this project! One question: you're getting the HOFers in PSA slabs, but what's with the PSA Newhouser? Did he just happen to come in a lot with others you needed? >>

Dan - Newhouser was inducted in 1992. There is one non-HOFer that I will get graded (Hodges) and one that I'll collect raw (Billy Herman, since it's a coach card). >>

Well color me embarrassed! I had no idea he was in the Hall, even though I spent hours perusing the plaques this past May. My apologies.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great stuff I'm down to about 8 cards for my set.

good luck with it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the way you're doing the set Dan.

That's a set I would like in a binder to look at - actually including the HOF'ers.

What surprised me? Is how expensive the Snider is within the set. I guess that's one of the "true" last card influences?
    Mike