Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Inspired by a $3.2M comic book

Decided that it was time to acquire my own Superman #1

Really like the awesome simplicity of this card and have always been a big fan of the "Man of Steel." Will be looking to upgrade this one when possible, but thought a 4 was a good place to start

Go Dodgers!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that look of that card, Mike! Used but not abused, and excellent centering to boot. Not familiar with this set. Was it printed by DC Comics?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just as nice as that $3+ million dollar book! Oh course I am kidding...... But nice
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! This is a great set.

I didn't quite realize how condition sensitive this set is. There are only 21 graded higher with only one PSA 8. I have to imagine that card would bring some serious coin.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reason, I think it's funny that the company name is Superman. What if that company released sports cards. "Man, that 1943 Superman Ted Williams is one tough card..."
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Congratulations on the purchase Mars Attacks.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - very excited to own it and already looking for one of those 21 graded higher!

These cards were actually produced by Gum, Inc., who also had Playball cards in their portfolio of brands.

Superman cards arrival to market was actually advertised on the backs of a limited number of 1940 Playball baseball cards, now referred to as "Superman backs."
    Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Are Superman's stats on the reverse side of the card? I'd imagine that they'd be pretty impressive.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card and great pickup! I'm looking for a lower graded one, but recently bid on the PSA 4 #1 that was auctioned off. I dropped out at $805.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a PSA 1 or PSA 2...does anybody know the VCP on these grades for this card? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never saw this card before. Can we see the back of the card,unless it's blank?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Edited to include reverse scan - Origin and story of Superman
    Go Dodgers!