Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tips to Keep Thieves Away-What dealers can learn from crimes in California

I changed the title from jewelers to dealers.

What jewelers can learn from crimes in California

By David Sexton

August 25, 2014

David Sexton, CPCU, is the vice president of loss prevention consulting at Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company. He can be reached at 800-558-6411 or dsexton@jminsure.com.

Crime is an ever-present threat to jewelers throughout the country, but California jewelers are having a particularly active year.

In jewelry crime driven by organized crews, it’s not uncommon to see a recurrence of similar losses in a single geographic area or even to see specific types of crime scenarios move from one geographic area of to another as the perpetrators attempt to outpace law enforcement authorities. Jewelers especially in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco have witnessed an increase in criminal activity this year.

Despite these periodic localized spikes in criminal activity, it’s important for jewelers nationwide to always consider the types of crimes being committed and how vulnerable their own operations might be to a similar criminal attack. By being proactive, you will be better prepared to avoid being targeted and keep your business more safe and secure.

A disturbing trend
Jewelers Mutual continues to work closely with the Jewelers’ Security Alliance to track reported crimes and educate the industry on how jewelers effectively can engage in their own protection. Some recent criminal activity against jewelers reported in California include:

--A team of armed robbers forced the associates of a southern California mall jewelry store to open showcases and hand over approximately 40 Rolex watches. Another store location of the same jeweler in the same area had been robbed in a similar manner less than a year ago.

--Just weeks ago, two jewelry salespeople traveling together were driving in the Los Angeles area when robbers using two cars boxed them in on a highway exit ramp. The robbers smashed the windows of the victim’s vehicle, reached in, released the trunk latch and made off with the salespeople’s merchandise.

--Early in July, four robbers armed with knives violently robbed two diamond salespeople who had conducted business earlier that day in downtown Los Angeles. When the salespeople drove to dinner, they were accosted by criminals who stole the merchandise they were carrying, their passports and cash. The robbers did not get any jewelry merchandise, because the salespeople wisely had left their lines in a safe.

-- In June, criminals broke into a vehicle belonging to a jewelry salesperson who worked in downtown Los Angeles. The break-in occurred in the parking lot of a store at which the salesperson had stopped while on her way to the airport.

-- In May, a rooftop burglary occurred in a southern California jewelry store. Burglars entered through the roof, disabled the surveillance and burglar alarm systems, and successfully penetrated one safe. As they were attacking a second safe, they inadvertently started a fire that damaged the building.

-- Also in May, a thief successfully “switched” a 3-carat diamond with a cubic zirconia at a jewelry store in the Los Angeles area.

-- In April, burglars conducted a rooftop burglary at a jewelry store in the Los Angeles area. The criminals broke into an adjacent un-alarmed store and cut through the common wall shared with the jewelry store and penetrated the back of the jeweler’s safe undetected. They then successfully removed all of the safe’s contents.

-- Another rooftop burglary took place within 30 miles of the aforementioned crime. Thieves broke in through the roof, disabled the burglar alarm system and then successfully penetrated the safe.

-- Also in April, a jewelry salesperson was robbed on Interstate 5 between San Diego and Los Angeles. Robbers used three vehicles to box the salesperson in and proceeded to rob him at gunpoint.
More: http://www.nationaljeweler.com/independents/market-developments/What-jewelers-can-le-5247.shtml
LINK

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

-- In May, a rooftop burglary occurred in a southern California jewelry store. Burglars entered through the roof, disabled the surveillance and burglar alarm systems, and successfully penetrated one safe. As they were attacking a second safe, they inadvertently started a fire that damaged the building.

I am familiar with this one. I had appraised/offered on their coin inventory 7 months prior to the burglary. After they were robbed, I purchased what was left of the coin inventory (about 10 file boxes of coins and sets), although the vast majority of the value was in the TL-30 safe that they were able to penetrate. The burglars made a real mess of the place, although not a single display case was touched.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>-- In May, a rooftop burglary occurred in a southern California jewelry store. Burglars entered through the roof, disabled the surveillance and burglar alarm systems, and successfully penetrated one safe. As they were attacking a second safe, they inadvertently started a fire that damaged the building.

I am familiar with this one. I had appraised/offered on their coin inventory 7 months prior to the burglary. After they were robbed, I purchased what was left of the coin inventory (about 10 file boxes of coins and sets), although the vast majority of the value was in the TL-30 safe that they were able to penetrate. The burglars made a real mess of the place, although not a single display case was touched. >>

Wow -- they got into a TL-30 safe. These crooks knew what they were doing.

And they had time to do it.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options

The best crime deterrent is a BFG.
    How many victims were unarmed.
    If a criminal enters an establishment and
    observes the sales staff is well armed, they
    will post a hasty retreat.

p.s. A BFG is a Big Friggin Gun.

doug
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id rather give away my merchandise if confronted with a gun if it meant saving lives. 25 people work here, over half are armed, including myself. Proper security and insurance is a must with this industry.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a coin shop is dangerous and risky. For that reason I only want to do shows or online.

Regardless, anything that alerts thieves will set you up as a target. I only take what I need to sell at a show and adequately fill my cases. I don't believe in taking everything. I have the online store for retail. I don't set up at shows to win the contest on who can pile up certified gold coins in their case.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL30 is only 30 minutes Front side, wonder if it was a TL30x6 and why the alarm system was so easily disabled which is why you only need to have 30 minutes of protection...the alarm is supposed to go off
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only winning combination to me is A) layers of security and B) adequate insurance in case A doesn't work.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    contrary to what some may believe, being an unarmed victim doesn't guarantee you wont get shot anyway, having a gun visible will deter most thieves
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't give a lot of hope for targeted dealers driving home from shows if multiple cars can box you in. For the present, the coin thieves seem content on waiting for a dealer to stop for food or gas while leaving their merchandise unattended.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The best crime deterrent is a BFG.
    How many victims were unarmed.
    If a criminal enters an establishment and
    observes the sales staff is well armed, they
    will post a hasty retreat.

p.s. A BFG is a Big Friggin Gun.

doug >>

About half of the listed examples appear that they were done after hours when no one was in the store. So more security than a BFG is probably warranted.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TL30 is only 30 minutes Front side, wonder if it was a TL30x6 and why the alarm system was so easily disabled which is why you only need to have 30 minutes of protection...the alarm is supposed to go off >>

Well, these are very good questions and that is why the crime in question is being investigated.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone should invent a jewelry cabinet that when opened the silent alarm automatically goes off after 15 seconds if a button nearby is NOT pushed to deactivate & reset it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TL30 is only 30 minutes Front side, wonder if it was a TL30x6 and why the alarm system was so easily disabled which is why you only need to have 30 minutes of protection...the alarm is supposed to go off >>

Well, these are very good questions and that is why the crime in question is being investigated. >>

Also -- a TL-30 rating is really the number of minutes (30 minutes, in this case) that it would take in a lab that tests this stuff (like Underwriters Laboratories) to get into a safe using all the tools and technologies available to them in that lab. Presumably a gang of thieves doing it on site would need longer.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, these are very good questions and that is why the crime in question is being investigated. >>

Also -- a TL-30 rating is really the number of minutes (30 minutes, in this case) that it would take in a lab that tests this stuff (like Underwriters Laboratories) to get into a safe using all the tools and technologies available to them in that lab. Presumably a gang of thieves doing it on site would need longer. >>

The UL test is what a "typical prepared criminal" would have available. If the skys the limit you can get in in a lot less than 30 minutes.
  • Options
    TRADECOINTRADECOIN Posts: 466 ✭✭
    Coin shop owner for 35 years . Now retired . 35 years , one armed robbery with gun fight, One robber killed one wounded 1981 . After that i got a trained German Shepherd to protect me not the store . The dog came with me to work and left with me at the end of our work day .At the shop The dog stayed behind the show cases and watched , if someone tried to come behind the case gate he would come in front of them and bark , If they still came forward he would bite . Not a good day for the bad guy . Did not have another problem , I am sure the dog stopped some people from thinking robbing this store will be easy.
    Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Retired Coin Shop Owner .
    Still Collecting
    Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dogs really are the way to go.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin shop owner for 35 years . Now retired . 35 years , one armed robbery with gun fight, One robber killed one wounded 1981 . After that i got a trained German Shepherd to protect me not the store . The dog came with me to work and left with me at the end of our work day .At the shop The dog stayed behind the show cases and watched , if someone tried to come behind the case gate he would come in front of them and bark , If they still came forward he would bite . Not a good day for the bad guy . Did not have another problem , I am sure the dog stopped some people from thinking robbing this store will be easy. >>

I like your story and do agree it is a solution then. The only problem is now when your dog bites someone you just lost more than they could steal. image

Edit to add and probably your dog also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file