Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do new sellers get feedback on ebay?

I recently started selling on ebay. Two weeks ago I had 20 auctions and only 8 left feedback. I noticed all of the buyers that won my auctions have either 100's or 1000's of feedback. Is there anyway to get these people to leave feedback or are new sellers screwed?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a seller, I would never badger a buyer with a request to leave feedback. JMHO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently started selling on ebay. Two weeks ago I had 20 auctions and only 8 left feedback. I noticed all of the buyers that won my auctions have either 100's or 1000's of feedback. Is there anyway to get these people to leave feedback or are new sellers screwed? >>

Not everyone who plans to leave feedback does so immediately. Often I won't even log onto eBay again until a month after a completed auction, and that reminds me to leave feedback. It would be nice if everyone did it ASAP, but not realistic unfortunately.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I leave feedback in bulk.. as a seller I leave it automatically when I receive positive feedback
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    make sure you leave feedback for them, that sometimes prompts buyer to reciprocate

you're at 40% hit rate, that's actually not terrible depending on who is buying
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Yeah, what they said, and there isn't any way
    you can force someone to leave you feedback.

Some people just don't. Nothing you can do
    about it.

John

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

<< <i>I leave feedback in bulk. >>

Me too. Once every month or so I do a whole bunch.
  • Options
    Feedback doesn't matter any more. Just be glad your buyers all paid. You can't neg POS buyers and my average % of buyers who leave feedback is hovering around 10%. It's the wild west. I believe I could pickup 100 NPB's on a Monday and then auction fake Mantle's on a Tuesday as long as I send eBay it's cut on Wed.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, what they said, and there isn't any way

about it.

John

~ >>

Someone from another forum told me whoever does not leave feedback to put them on my blocked list.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

about it.

John

~ >>

Someone from another forum told me whoever does not leave feedback to put them on my blocked list. >>

Why in the world would anyone want to do this unless they want to make less money.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Not every buyer will leave feedback. You'll build it up, over time. Especially if you like to buy, too!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

about it.

John

~ >>

Someone from another forum told me whoever does not leave feedback to put them on my blocked list. >>

-----

Why would you want to do that?

The goal of selling at auction is to get as many bidders
    as possible bidding on your items. To block someone
    for something as unimportant as whether they leave
    feedback or not, just seems a bit petty and limits the
    number of bidders, and therefor the amount of money
    you will make.

Nose off to spite face.

John

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Best way:
    Do the absolute best job as a seller you can with listings, price, shipping. The works. The let the chips fall where they may. Can't force someone to leave feedback, all you can is your best on there to earn it. Even then, that sometimes isn't enough for buyers or eBay in general. Nature of the beast.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it would help to post a thread in the BST forum with a link to your card auctions. People here are probably more likely to leave feedback and some dialogue might help with the trust factor. I usually skip low feedback sellers unless the item is cheap enough to where I figure it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I just lost the money.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[

Stop reading that forum!!! Would you rather have a sale or the feedback?

Tips of getting feedback include leaving FB as soon as you can for the buyer...withholding FB is never a good idea
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>[

Stop reading that forum!!! Would you rather have a sale or the feedback?

Tips of getting feedback include leaving FB as soon as you can for the buyer...withholding FB is never a good idea >>

+1, I leave feedback for a buyer as soon as they pay. Their job is complete at that point and sellers who withhold feedback until receiving positive feedback get moved down my list of one's to purchase from.
  • Options
    Expect from 20-50% of sales to receive feedback. Especially as a newbie. As you gain reputation, it will get better and you will care less about it.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

~ >>

So much for return customers in their auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>

about it.

John

~ >>

As a new seller, you are looking for customers. I wouldn't block the only customers you've found so far. Most people sell cards as their collection focus shifts or to turn a profit, not necessarily to obtain feedback. As plenty of others have mentioned, 1) provide excellent customer service 2) respond timely to questions 3) ship timely and package the items in a secure manner and the feedbacks will begin to roll in. It is very common to receive feedback weeks after the actual transaction occurs.
  • Options
    I also leave feedback when the buyer pays. For all the reasons above and because eBay automates it and ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    As a buyer I do not leave feedback until seller does. What else can a buyer do except pay for it!
    As a seller I leave feedback as soon as they pay.
    Why sellers do not leave feedback for buyer unless they do first is beyond me.
    Sellers should ALWAYS leave feedback first.

As a seller I dislike immensely the whole 5 star rating system. I find it antiquated and unnecessary.
    How can you be either satisfied or unsatisfied with communication?
    How can an item be neither accurate or inaccurate or extremely accurate even? Depending on what you're selling, it is what it is!
    If your package arrives in the time window,it was neither slowly or quickly therefore 3 STARS!
    How can shipping charges be neither reasonable or unreasonable? They either are or aren't. So 3 Stars shouldn't exist!

A person I turned on to eBay leaves these following stars back on purchases as he starts from one star(most count from one to five);
    How accurate was the item description? 4 STARS

How satisfied were you with the seller's communication? 4 STARS

How quickly did the seller ship the item? 3 STARS

How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges? Either 1,2,4 or 5 STARS

By this logic you would not be an above standard seller and therefore not qualify for any discount and probably have eBay halt your selling!
    This five star method of deciding YOUR selling future should never have been implemented and should be done away with immediately!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Sell digital recipes. Leave buyers feedback.