Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Funky Card Numbers

Over the years I recall seeing lots of numbers on the backs of cards that weren't quite "normal." But now, as I try to remember them, I can only come up with a couple....

1972 Ray Fosse -- for some reason the number was written by hand?

1974 Ray Burris

Which ones am I not remembering??

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    72 Fosse was the first that came to mind. I know I just ran across one in the 70T BB set also (missing yellow fill behind the number?), but don't recall which card it was. 1990 Pro Set FB was littered with card numbers that were 'clipped' on top or bottom (Rison #134 is one off the top of my head).
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    There were a bunch of card numbers that weren't issued in 50's and 60's Topps sets. I wonder if that was due to contract disputes or something else.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    In 1974 I wrote to Topps to point out that the Ray Burris number was in the wrong position. The thoughts of a 10 year old who really believed that Topps messed up and no one had yet noticed. I wish I still had the typed letter that some poor Topps secretary took the time to type back to me.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1974 I wrote to Topps to point out that the Ray Burris number was in the wrong position. The thoughts of a 10 year old who really believed that Topps messed up and no one had yet noticed. I wish I still had the typed letter that some poor Topps secretary took the time to type back to me. >>

Great! Bet it was hard for you to believe that the God-like Topps didn't give a rat's ass!
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>72 Fosse was the first that came to mind. I know I just ran across one in the 70T BB set also (missing yellow fill behind the number?), but don't recall which card it was. 1990 Pro Set FB was littered with card numbers that were 'clipped' on top or bottom (Rison #134 is one off the top of my head). >>

If I recall correctly the 1970 card you refer to is #424 (Mike Killkenney)

Dave
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the circle is white instead of yellow?
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the one!

Dave
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>In 1974 I wrote to Topps to point out that the Ray Burris number was in the wrong position. The thoughts of a 10 year old who really believed that Topps messed up and no one had yet noticed. I wish I still had the typed letter that some poor Topps secretary took the time to type back to me. >>

I wrote them a letter in 1974 as well, explaining that the Padres were from San Diego and not Washington. Sy Berger called me personally, apologizing profusely and assuring me he would get the matter resolved immediately. image

<< <i>If I recall correctly the 1970 card you refer to is #424 (Mike Killkenney) >>

<kyle_broflovski>You b@st@rds!</kyle_broflovski>

Not the same as previous examples, but 1961 Nu Card are numbered starting at 101 for some reason?

1949 Leaf (football) are skip numbered... with card #1 being the first card number and #150 being the last card number in the 49 card set. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So the circle is white instead of yellow? >>

That's it, all the other circles are filled with a yellow background. Interesting they did the same on the OPC.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

So funny you wrote that. In 1979, on urging from my Dad (who always saw a lesson in everything), I wrote them and told them about the Bump Wills error. They wrote back, and I swear the letter is in my attic somewhere.