Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Order Process Question

I have watched the PSA Videos that show the grading process from intake to sending out the graded product but I did not see, at any point, where the cards were scanned or iteratively compared against previously submitted examples. I would think there at least is a picture taken of each item before shipping back to the original sender.

Does this occur during the process?

I am wondering about this primarily due to flip mistakes and/or questionable grades written about in other threads.

I would think there is a very simple way for PSA to automate that entire process to improve their quality control on outgoing product.

Thanks for your input.

Mike
flcardtrader@yahoo.com
Website
Shopify Store
Ebay Store

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike,

I have had several conversations with PSA on their processes and they didn't give out too much information, it seems to me that they do NOT scan the cards they grade and they do not have a photographic library available for the regular graders to reference.

I cannot be sure of this, but I have had some cards graded with the wrong year and when I asked "how could this happen. don't you have a photo of at least one of each type and year to reference?" I was not clearly answered. Was told there was a separate verification/research department for questionable submissions. I was asking about an item that had been graded in the past, and should have been no question about the year. I had labelled the submission form with the correct year.

I would also assume that the database would be unbelievably huge if they had high resolution scans of the front and back of every item they ever graded. Rather time consuming to manage as well.

Just my opinion, I don't know any of this for a fact.

Anyone else know?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    The cards are not scanned by a machine during grading, if that's what you're asking.

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    can't answer for cards, but coins submitted under Secure Plus get scanned. This scan is a "fingerprint" and if the coin is cracked out and resubmitted, the "fingerprint" will match. Doing a cert lookup gives you the pertinent coin info including the scan. For an extra $10, you can ask for a TruView picture. This is a high quality picture. If a TruView exists when doing a cert lookup, it will be shown.
  • Options
    Edit: I was confused