Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps Variations

Hi all, first post, thanks for having me! I'm just returning to collecting after a long absence. As I was going through some old cards, I noticed a variation in the 1968 Topps design. On some cards, the brown "dots" in the background are small and dense (see Aparicio below), and on others, they're bigger and less dense (see Robinson below). The difference is very pronounced; it's as if Topps used a "zoomed-in" version of the background on the Robinson card. I was concerned that one was a fake, but I compared them to others online, and the others show the respective variations also. Did Topps just use different backgrounds on different sheets, or for different series? (Robinson is #20, Aparicio is #310). Why would they do that? It seems strange to change the design so dramatically mid-set.

imageimage

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just a different pattern used, not a variation I believe?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Yes, that "Burlap" look was used for the first series only. (I THINK that's correct ...lol)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.