Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which rack pack series combos exist?

For pre-74 racks, can any combination of series occur in the three cells? Are there racks containing all three cells from a single series (would guess for series 1 only?) then as each new series come out, could it be combined with all previous series?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Dave, based on the limited sample size I've seen I believe your assumption is correct. You can usually find an all 1st series rack and then the racks would mix as more series were released. However, I have not seen legitimate racks with all different series in them. So, for example, you could have a rack with series 2 in two of the sections and series 3 in the last section.

I'll also add that I've never seen the series alternate in a rack. For example, from the header section on out, series 2, series 3, and then back to series 2.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many variations of series in early 1970s racks, so I believe there many different possibilities. I have seen racks in which all cards are from a single series, racks with two sections from one series and the other from a different series and racks in which each section is from a different series. The key to look for is whether the cards on top and bottom of a specific cell or section match up for the same series.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this one I got from you has three different series (2/3/4).....

• Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    Here is a complete newbie question:
    How can you tell what series the cards are from? Is it based on the sheet number or later on the *s?
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, this one I got from you has three different series (2/3/4).....

image >>

Yes, exactly~each of those cells is from a different series with the card on back of each section matching up to that specific series.

Also, there are racks with all sections from single series other than just 1st series--Steve actually just recently sold a 73 rack in which all cards were from the 4th series.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a complete newbie question:
    How can you tell what series the cards are from? Is it based on the sheet number or later on the *s? >>

No, for pre-1974 cards, it goes by card #.

For 1973:

Series 1: 1-132
    Series 2: 133-264
    Series 3: 265-396
    Series 4: 397-528
    Series 5: 529-660

• Options

<< <i>Yes, exactly~each of those cells is from a different series with the card on back of each section matching up to that specific series.

Also, there are racks with all sections from single series other than just 1st series--Steve actually just recently sold a 73 rack in which all cards were from the 4th series. >>

This is why you are the master Tim. image

But you haven't seen racks with alternating series like in my example, have you?

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, exactly~each of those cells is from a different series with the card on back of each section matching up to that specific series.

Also, there are racks with all sections from single series other than just 1st series--Steve actually just recently sold a 73 rack in which all cards were from the 4th series. >>

This is why you are the master Tim. image

But you haven't seen racks with alternating series like in my example, have you? >>

No, I haven't~not to my recollection. When two series are the same, they should be in adjoining sections.

• Options
    Mixed series packs in 1973 can also be found~as Topps techically did launch the "all series" format late that year, in which both wax and cello packs contained cards mixed from all series. The all series wax packs are considerably tougher to find than the ones from series and featured a red triangle graphic on the bottom left corner of the pack. Cello packs did not bear any designation on the wrapper. I have not seen a rack in which all cards were mixed from all series, so I would suspect that Topps limited the all series format test to wax and cello packs in late 1973.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

How can you tell what series the cards are from? Is it based on the sheet number or later on the *s? >>

Topps issues the cards in series through the 1973 release. Usually the checklist cards for each year would
    be the easiest place to see which cards were in each series. Alternately, many of the standard BBC catalogs
    also contain that information.

As an example the 1970 set was issued in 7 series as follows:

Series 1 - 1-132
    Series 2 - 133-263
    Series 3 - 264-372
    Series 4 - 373-459
    Series 5 - 460-546
    Series 6 - 547-633
    Series 7 - 634-720

1971 Topps set

Series 1 - 1-132
    Series 2 - 133-263
    Series 3 - 264-393
    Series 4 - 394-523
    Series 5 - 524-643
    Series 6 - 644-752

Usually the series breakouts would have some correllation to the number 132, which happened to be the number of cards on a full uncut
    half sheet of cards, in the earlier series. Then in later series the uncut sheets would cntain double-printed and sometimes even triple
    printed cards so the number of cards in the later series could be lower.

Dave
  • Options
    Very useful info, David! Can you post a pic of your all series 1973 wax box? I have not seen another other than yours.

• Options

<< <i>Mixed series packs in 1973 can also be found~as Topps techically did launch the "all series" format late that year, in which both wax and cello packs contained cards mixed from all series. The all series wax packs are considerably tougher to find than the ones from series and featured a red triangle graphic on the bottom left corner of the pack. Cello packs did not bear any designation on the wrapper. I have not seen a rack in which all cards were mixed from all series, so I would suspect that Topps limited the all series format test to wax and cello packs in late 1973. >>

That is my belief as well Tim. Too bad no one from Topps will comment, LOL.

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mixed series packs in 1973 can also be found~as Topps techically did launch the "all series" format late that year, in which both wax and cello packs contained cards mixed from all series. The all series wax packs are considerably tougher to find than the ones from series and featured a red triangle graphic on the bottom left corner of the pack. Cello packs did not bear any designation on the wrapper. I have not seen a rack in which all cards were mixed from all series, so I would suspect that Topps limited the all series format test to wax and cello packs in late 1973. >>

That is my belief as well Tim. Too bad no one from Topps will comment, LOL. >>

Sy Berger is still alive~I believe (IIRC) he lives in Nassau County...maybe we can stop by to get the skinny, LOL!!

• Options
    Here you go Tim

Dave
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    To add to this post, 131/132 card series (difference is due to the next series CL) have each card printed twice on the 264 card sheet. 66/65 card series have each card printed 4 times and 88/87 card series are printed 3 times each.

John

<< <i>

Topps issues the cards in series through the 1973 release. Usually the checklist cards for each year would
    be the easiest place to see which cards were in each series. Alternately, many of the standard BBC catalogs
    also contain that information.

As an example the 1970 set was issued in 7 series as follows:

Series 1 - 1-132
    Series 2 - 133-263
    Series 3 - 264-372
    Series 4 - 373-459
    Series 5 - 460-546
    Series 6 - 547-633
    Series 7 - 634-720

1971 Topps set

Series 1 - 1-132
    Series 2 - 133-263
    Series 3 - 264-393
    Series 4 - 394-523
    Series 5 - 524-643
    Series 6 - 644-752

Usually the series breakouts would have some correllation to the number 132, which happened to be the number of cards on a full uncut
    half sheet of cards, in the earlier series. Then in later series the uncut sheets would cntain double-printed and sometimes even triple
    printed cards so the number of cards in the later series could be lower. >>

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

Dave, just curious...I have an all-series empty box that has "Bonus Team Checklist in every pack" in place of "Hey Kids" on the tab. I always took this as evidence that the blue checklists were included only in the all-series packs, accounting for their rarity. Yet your box doesn't have this tab.

Can you tell whether your packs contain the team checklists or not?
  • Options
    No way to tell. But I seem to recall the blue team checklists being a mail-in promo of some sort.

I know that the 1974 packs had one variety with the green team checklists included in the pack.

Dave
  • Options
    They may have been a mail in premium as well, but this tab suggests they were in all-series packs...of course the packs in this box don't appear to be all-series packs. Nothing is ever simple (sigh)

• Options
    I recall hearing somewhere that the blue team checklists were inserted into high series packs so the all series packs would make sense, too. There also was a mail in offer for them, I'm fairly certain. It's also very possible that Topps used an earlier season box to package David's all series packs as topps had a penchant for reusing packaging on hand.

• Options

<< <i> It's also very possible that Topps used an earlier season box to package David's all series packs as topps had a penchant for reusing packaging on hand. >>

But David's all series box DOES have the "All 660 cards available in one series" tagline. It just doesn't have the "Team Checklist" Tab.

I think it's fairly certain that the checklists were put into some of the all-series packs based on the box I showed. It may not have been all of them.
    I guess it's futile to try to get cut and dry answers to these kinds of questions.

I personally doubt the checklists were in the high series. I've read that too, but I think it's a mixup and the all-series packs are really what is meant.
  • Options
    So basically David's box is correct then, it's just that the box was fabricated with a tab used previously. At the time, Topps probably didn't think twice about it.

• Options

<< <i>So basically David's box is correct then, it's just that the box was fabricated with a tab used previously. At the time, Topps probably didn't think twice about it. >>

Yes, I never doubted it was a legit high series box, I just had previously assumed all high series boxes would have that checklist tab, but I guess not.