Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Pickup: 1973 Topps baseball 1st/2nd Series Rack Pack

Some of you may recall the pic posted on the BBCE FB page a few weeks ago, in which Steve posted a lot of 1970s racks he had just acquired. I was happy to pick up the 1973 rack in that photo, as I was missing a 1st/2nd series rack from my collection from that year. I also liked the original price sticker from the variety store on the header card~for me, it adds an historical element to the rack in that it survived being for retail sale hanging on a peg in a store 41 summers ago and has remained intact and unopened after all these years. When I was a kid, I used to go to McCrory's and Woolworth's five and dime stores to search through racks and cellos for packs with Mets players on top~the primitive version, I guess, of searching for hot insert packs today, LOL..The Series 1/2 is also a nice combo in that it includes Clemente, Rose, Aaron, Ryan, Munson, Reggie Jackson, Bob Gibson, Palmer and many other stars of the day.

Here' s a pic of the pack now~the newspaper on the surface is an original copy of the Daily News thae day after Leon Spinks upset Ali for the Heavyweight title (I collect old newspapers, too). The price sticker actually marked the cost of the rack down to 35c from 39c, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up Tim

Dave
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece Tim, congrats on the pick-up. Love how it still has the price sticker on it.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Well that certainly doesn't suck! Congrats Tim.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Great pick-up and nice pairing. Plus with 4 cents off, how can you go wrong?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    That is very cool. Congratulations Grote.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Tim!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice rack. I like the price sticker as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Very nice and original too. image
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Great pick-up Tim. You mentioned Woolworth. We had one if those in my hometown. I used to buy 1979 and 1980 Topps there.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    It's about time you posted that rack. That one is awesome, congrats!!!

While I remember Woolworth's too, it was McCrory's where they had the motherload of packs. My brother actually worked at McCrory's in Lake Grove, NY right before they closed down. Some good times for sure. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Nice rack, Tim.

Merv Rettenmund seems to turn up a lot on racks and cellos.

What's up with that?!? image

John

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all the kind words, guys! image

Here is a better scan of the rack, with less newspaper in front, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Tim that looks great, congrats on the pickup.
  • Options

Great addition, Tim! Congrats!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet pickup Tim.

I go away to watch the Last Ship and missed the post.

Congratulations - it looks good and clean.
    Mike
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Another nice pick up. Congrats on the latest addition!
    Steve
  • Options
    Super pick up Tim. '73 racks are my favorite of the decade--especially when they've survived in the condition that this one has!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp