Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your opinion of the 8.5 grade versus an 8 or 9?

One of the things I am curious about is everyone's opinion of the addition of the half point in particular the PSA 8.5. As most people will suggest you need to buy the card and not the holder, and when looking at an 8.5 what are you looking for in regards to the difference between an 8-8.5-9? Price valuations between an 8 and a 9 can be huge, and between an 8 and 8.5 most times there is about a 25-40% bump if not more.

If I am looking at say a 1975 Brett the 8's are in the $175-225 range while 9's are in the $1300-2000 range. An 8.5 is about $450-500, and the only difference between it and a 9 might be so minor you cannot even see it since a tiny corner edge can be the difference - we have all seen rough 8's that look nowhere near a 9 and others that should be a 9.

Just curious as to those that have sold 8.5's if there are any issues when selling the half grade when it comes to or pricing and such. Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    I think 8.5 half grades for vintage cards are great. Now for a modern card, I don't care much for it.

As far as selling and buying, I have purchased a few 8.5' cards that I could not afford to purchase in the 9 grade. However, I just wont buy any 8.5 either. I like to purchase the ones that look like they have a chance at bumping.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    I used to love buying 8.5's for the reasons you cite, but lately the price is getting to the point that I prefer a high end 8 over an 8.5. The price is built into the grade anymore, whereas I have found strong 8's do very well when it comes time to sell, as those bidding seem to bid looking for the bump. I hope that makes sense.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really does come down to the two cards being compared, I think. Over half the 8.5s I have reviewed over the years bumped to 9s, which goes to show how minuscule the difference can be. After all, we are talking about a very subjective call, when we are talking about a half-grade difference on any card. I think it is as narrow as the difference between the best 9s and the 10-grade.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like to purchase the ones that look like they have a chance at bumping. >>

I agree with Dnice. If the card is well-centered and it has four sharp corners it may be worth the risk of a resubmission.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I have had 6 or 7 bumps on a review and all but 2 were from 8.5 to 9. Looking out for the sharpest 8.5's you can find can get you a very nice collection or make you some loot if that's your thing
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Great example from the MLI auction

Yogi
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great info and thanks for the replies. Have been in the hobby since I was a kid, and started picking up PSA cards starting with my first National in Cleveland in 1997. Over a 3-4 year period I picked up numerous Ted Williams cards in PSA 8 from 1954 #1 to several of the #250's - at one point I had (3) #250's in PSA 8 when only 22 of them existed per the pop report. Had every Williams card from 1954-1958 with duplicates of most, and had a tremendous 1953 Mantle in PSA 8 that would have rivaled the one that recently went for over $20k. I also had a bunch of nice 56-58 Mantles, '57 Mays and Aaron's...

Once I saw the card market start to have some warts with the whole WIWAG fiasco, the Baseball Card kid unopened stuff, and seeing the stock market about to pull down the card market I divested of most of my cards and did pretty well with them - Williams appreciated from $1500 to $5k+ in 2-3 years and I sold before they dropped. That and a pending marriage and house to build will do that to you!

In the past 2 years I have gotten back into it and dragged my little guy along who loves it as much as I did when I was a kid, and we target cards I used to get when I was a kid in the 70's - Reds players, Aaron, Brett, Ryan, Schmidt... We are also going to pick up some nice 56's and 57's - Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Mays... I think with the Mantles I will stick to high end 8's in 1956 and 1953, and with the others will shoot for the same with some 8.5's mixed in. The top cards on my list for the first wave are as follows:

1953 Mantle PSA 8
    1953 Mays PSA 8
    1956 Mantle PSA 8
    1956 Williams PSA 8
    1957 Aaron PSA 8 or 8.5 - centering is the key
    1975 Aaron #1 PSA 8.5 or 9

Hope little guy enjoys them since it might be his college fund!

• Options
    Then there are some 8.5's that look every bit a 9, but just won't bump. imageimageimage

image[/URL]
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have held that very Maris and it looks better than a 9 I know of. Tremendous card.

For what it's worth, I would say there are some benefits to not necessarily shopping for a specific grade. You could potentially miss out on some gorgeous cards that are tremendous values in the grade or two just below what you were seeking; it is definitely possible to wind up with a card that looks the way you wanted the intended grade to look, for significantly less than you were initially planning on spending.

For example, it's funny you mentioned the 1956 Ted Williams. I was recently looking at an 8 that cost a relative bundle, then came upon this 6 pictured below. Hits my eye almost the same as the 8 (it has better centering but softer corners), and when I examined the cards side-by-side it kind of made buying the 8 seem profligate.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>I have held that very Maris and it looks better than a 9 I know of. Tremendous card.

For what it's worth, I would say there are some benefits to not necessarily shopping for a specific grade. You could potentially miss out on some gorgeous cards that are tremendous values in the grade or two just below what you were seeking; it is definitely possible to wind up with a card that looks the way you wanted the intended grade to look, for significantly less than you were initially planning on spending.

For example, it's funny you mentioned the 1956 Ted Williams. I was recently looking at an 8 that cost a relative bundle, then came upon this 6 pictured below. Hits my eye almost the same as the 8 (it has better centering but softer corners), and when I examined the cards side-by-side it kind of made buying the 8 seem profligate.

image >>

I agree and ironically enough at the National I did the same exact thing with the same exact card - 56 Williams in a PSA 6. My 9 year old was interested and figured that instead of $1500 I would find a nice one at a better price, and came across one of the larger dealers while I was looking at a 56 Mantle in an 8. I checked out the Williams and after looking at it through a loop I could not see why it was a 6. When I asked the dealer his response was all I needed - had that look in his eye of "please don't buy it so I can resubmit it". I gave him the $275 and handed it to a very happy young collector.

For some reason I cannot get photos to upload on this board - on my IPad on a plane, and if anyone has any tips on how to do it please let me know and I will post some photos.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice looking 1956 Topps Ted Williams card, particularly for a PSA 6.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a sore spot for me!

Sent in a 1971 Killebrew figured it had a shot at a 10, it was a 9 for sure. Of course it came back an 8.5. Should have just kept it or resubmitted it. Sold for WAY less than halfway between an 8 and a 9.

Oh well nobody's fault but mine.

Overall, I would say that as a seller an half grade is not nearly as good as getting the higher grade, not much premium in my mind.

As a buyer if you can get that perfectly centered card a in an 8.5, you should be able to save some serious cash.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 86 Fleer Jordan is graded by Beckett 8.5. I've been thinking of a resub, or review to Becketts for a 9. Don't know if Becketts does reviews. Or would the card have more value as a PSA 8 over a Beckett 9 and would I be better off leaving it as a 8.5 and not risk a downgrade with PSA, despite PSAs' being more attracvtive to buyers.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options

As a buyer if you can get that perfectly centered card a in an 8.5, you should be able to save some serious cash.

Agreed on the buying part 100% on an 8.5. If you can get a nice one for a little (20-30%) over the price of an 8 it is worth it. Look at a Brett in PSA 8 at $200 or so versus an 8.5 at $500 or a 9 at $1800. Huge gap between an 8.5 and a 9 versus the gap between an 8 and an 8.5.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 86 Fleer Jordan is graded by Beckett 8.5. I've been thinking of a resub, or review to Becketts for a 9. Don't know if Becketts does reviews. Or would the card have more value as a PSA 8 over a Beckett 9 and would I be better off leaving it as a 8.5 and not risk a downgrade with PSA, despite PSAs' being more attracvtive to buyers. >>

The 86 Fleer Jordan is worth way more as a BGS 9 (around $2k) than a PSA 8 (around $1k-$1100) or PSA 8.5 (around $1300+). What are the subgrades on yours? If it can get a bump from BGS 8.5 to either PSA or BGS 9 it is worth a shot. I don't know if crossing from 8.5 to 8.5 is worth a lot depending on the subs you have on the BGS, when you factor in how much the review and shipping will be with PSA. Just my opinion.
    Steve
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My 86 Fleer Jordan is graded by Beckett 8.5. I've been thinking of a resub, or review to Becketts for a 9. Don't know if Becketts does reviews. Or would the card have more value as a PSA 8 over a Beckett 9 and would I be better off leaving it as a 8.5 and not risk a downgrade with PSA, despite PSAs' being more attracvtive to buyers. >>

The 86 Fleer Jordan is worth way more as a BGS 9 (around $2k) than a PSA 8 (around $1k-$1100) or PSA 8.5 (around $1300+). What are the subgrades on yours? If it can get a bump from BGS 8.5 to either PSA or BGS 9 it is worth a shot. I don't know if crossing from 8.5 to 8.5 is worth a lot depending on the subs you have on the BGS, when you factor in how much the review and shipping will be with PSA. Just my opinion. >>

Thanks for your thoughts. The subs are as follows:8 Centering, 9 Edges, 9 Corners, 9.5 Surface.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".