Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Mark McGwire RC PSA 10

Sorry to create yet another separate thread about the MLI auction, but I thought this deserved a look.

The McGwire PSA 10 went for almost $1500?!? This card has never sold for $400 and sold for $255 2 months ago. What am I missing???
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All it takes is two egos to tangle sometimes. Or someone who wants to have a new price bar on the pricing record, and then see if the price sticks or at least lifts the latest prices.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I just hope that iconic vintage cards are not suddenly being priced out of the range of common collectors because they are graded by PSA as GEM-MT 10.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Another one ending tonight - appears headed to the same zip code

McGwire 1985 Topps PSA 10

EDIT: Actually, sorry this one is a Tiffany. I'd rather have this one than the previous. It is a Dmitri card, though, and looking at it again I think they did a bit of a favor in terms of centering. I guess it's in the range, but it's not perfect.
  • Options
    Unbelievable. The starting price was $9.99. I don't get it.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SCP

This card sold for $1,044 in the historic SCP Auction.

There are loads of cards from this auction that have moved up significantly.

• Options

<< <i>Actually, sorry this one is a Tiffany. I'd rather have this one than the previous. It is a Dmitri card, though, and looking at it again I think they did a bit of a favor in terms of centering. I guess it's in the range, but it's not perfect. >>

The bids still appear to be ridiculously high.
  • Options

<< <i>This card sold for $1,044 in the historic SCP Auction. >>

What is the date on the auction? The link does not appear to be connecting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This card sold for $1,044 in the historic SCP Auction. >>

What is the date on the auction? The link does not appear to be connecting. >>

Not sure. It is the auction results from the Dmitri Young SCP Auction.

There are tons of cards that have nearly doubled since the sale. He left a ton of money on the table when you look back at this point.

I will find the date for you and update.

• Options
    May of 2012
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Here's the link

Weird. I linked it correctly when I copy/pasted it in the editor, but after it is submitted it removes the ":" after https.

edit: upon further review, somehow CU's system is inserting "http://" before my overall link. I have no idea why that would be.

Here is the URL to the closed '85 McGwire Tiffany from Dmitri Young's collection: https://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=19440
  • Options
    Thanks D. Peck. TNP777, that link does not connect either.
  • Options
    ah, there we go. Look like the problem was that I was trying to link a secure https URL while using the unsecure http button.
  • Options

<< <i>Link to closed '85 Topps Tiffany McGwire >>

Thanks. Looks like the price list I was trying to link was pre buyers premium.

This card is going to close higher then $1,253 but it needs to close much higher to net out the EBAY fees and time value of money.

• Options
    Thanks TNP777. Nice work. It looks like the minimum bid on the item was $300 back then. Not that it seems to matter.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the regular Topps McGwire sell for many thousands of dollars in PSA 10 in the late 90s? I sold a 9(OC) during that time for something like $300.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't the regular Topps McGwire sell for many thousands of dollars in PSA 10 in the late 90s? I sold a 9(OC) during that time for something like $300. >>

i thought it had too - between 1998-2001 or so I remember that being the card to have or to chase
  • Options
    Guys, do not discount the specter of faked sales. It happens all the time. Sometimes an anomalous sale is an attempt to manipulate the price on VCP and get sheep to follow. Sometimes it is totally legit. Just two egos or two keen eyed collectors who see value or something special. But sometimes it's utterly bogus.

• Options
    $2025 final price - nice jump in the last few seconds.
  • Options
    $2,025

• Options
    Double Post

Definitely some nice action on the close.

• Options
    Wow.
  • Options
    All I can say to this overpriced auction is this ...... RIDICULOUS ...... Get ready for a major price decrease on everything if this Ukrainian situation gets out of control, and at the moment it is leading that way.....
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say to this overpriced auction is this ...... RIDICULOUS ...... Get ready for a major price decrease on everything if this Ukrainian situation gets out of control, and at the moment it is leading that way..... >>

except for Albert Pujols and Russell Wilson rookie cards image

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sold all of mickey mantles for half price, avoiding complete disaster.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say to this overpriced auction is this ...... RIDICULOUS ...... Get ready for a major price decrease on everything if this Ukrainian situation gets out of control, and at the moment it is leading that way..... >>

The sky is falling! We are all doomed. Sell everything and buy low risk bonds.

I've seen posts along these lines for a good year or 2. The inevitable collapse if cards so many people are waiting for
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    I wonder what percentage of doomsayers, deep, deep down, in a place of sheer and brutal honesty, are just rationalizing out of want.

I could theoretically die any day in any one of around six million ways (at least that's what an old rap song told me). I don't know when and I don't know how. What I do know is that when my number is called, I'm going out with as many dope cards as possible.