Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Hornung RC PSA-9...Memory Lane

Anyone see the hammer price on this one ? ($42,112.00)....All I can say is WOW!! - Thoughts?
Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Thoughts? >>

anyone else holding a PSA 9 of this card just put a down payment on a yacht.
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    My Heisman set just went up in value...
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone see the hammer price on this one ? ($42,112.00)....All I can say is WOW!! - Thoughts?
    >>

Wow! I could do a complete renovation of the front of my house with that money.

Is it a pop 1?
    Mike
  • Options
    Pop 11....no 10's
  • Options
    quantum leap in value from last year to this.....most recent sale was just under $7,300

so, in theory, the value of this card climbed about $35,000

DPeck must be having an orgasm right about now.
  • Options

<< <i>Pop 11....no 10's >>

That's quite a few to command that kind of dough IMO.

I did check the Registry.

The first is locked - the 2nd has a 9 and then it drops to 8s.

I'm guessing they're holding? And this is the first to come up in a while?

So, I guess my question: "Is this Registry driven?"
    Mike
  • Options
    What registry did you check?...I am guessing the 57 topps set?...However, there are other registry sets to consider (Hornung player set, all-time Packers set,... Heisman winners set - I have the only 9)...gotta believe there are some people that dont have them in a set either, or maybe the pop report is artificially high due to crackouts...I seem to remember that when I picked up mine it was a pop 4 or 5.....
  • Options

<< <i>What registry did you check?...I am guessing the 57 topps set?...However, there are other registry sets to consider (Hornung player set, all-time Packers set,... Heisman winners set - I have the only 9)...gotta believe there are some people that dont have them in a set either, or maybe the pop report is artificially high due to crackouts...I seem to remember that when I picked up mine it was a pop 4 or 5..... >>

Just the 57T set.

That only increases the demand if one considers other registry sets.

So, do you think that the price is "registry" driven? I would say - good chance.
    Mike
  • Options
    not really sure...to a degree, I suppose. However, many of the "top 200" are not really registry-driven, they are almost regarded as "collection pieces" that people acquire just to "have". I DO think the crazy prices fetched for high grade/low pop commons are definitely registry-driven. JMHO.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>quantum leap in value from last year to this.....most recent sale was just under $7,300

so, in theory, the value of this card climbed about $35,000

DPeck must be having an orgasm right about now. >>

I would have to think who ever sold this card was losing their mind watching it climb. Pretty amazing.

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    there's no good explanation for this - a 5-6X increase since last sale just makes no sense at all

even if this card were resubbed and bumped to a 10, still hard to justify that kind of price

realistically, if you were picking one card to "have", where would this one rank on your list? for me, it's probably not in the top 200. it's not even the top card from this SET for me.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see what the next PSA 9 Unitas goes for.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>there's no good explanation for this - a 5-6X increase since last sale just makes no sense at all

even if this card were resubbed and bumped to a 10, still hard to justify that kind of price

realistically, if you were picking one card to "have", where would this one rank on your list? for me, it's probably not in the top 200. it's not even the top card from this SET for me. >>

What if the buyer is worth 8.9 billion dollars? I don't know who the buyer is but 40k is a lot different to someone who makes that in a year vs someone who makes that before lunch every day.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What if the buyer is worth 8.9 billion dollars? I don't know who the buyer is but 40k is a lot different to someone who makes that in a year vs someone who makes that before lunch every day. >>

there has to be at least two of them, and why do they want THIS card?
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The hobby has exploded even in the last year but some of the prices that have been noted in this forum just make me scratch my head. The Hornung at this price is hard to figure out. Paul Hornung is nowhere near my radar as a must have card. At this price you'd think its a pop 1 or 2
    But pop 11?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    quite the, um.......gamble.
  • Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone see the hammer price on this one ? ($42,112.00)....All I can say is WOW!! - Thoughts? >>

Wow - must be football season. That price is absurd compared to what it has been going for.

Packer collectors do tend to buy and hold. I know mine is not up for sale any time soon, in the set below.

I'd like to see what a PSA 9 Bart Starr would go for, same set Pop 3. I have never seen one up for sale. Figured I might go "all in" if one came up, but now it looks like my all in wouldn't be enough.
    My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    This is a bit O/T, but Paul Hornung is one of the biggest jerks on the planet. I grew up in Louisville and used to work for an auction company in high school on the weekends. My job was simple...park cars. Hornung was a regular attender of these auctions and was always a jerk to everyone. I asked him one time, very politely, for his autograph and he told me to kiss his a*%. We "accidentally" parked his car in the back of the lot double parked that day. He was notorious for never tipping, which was protocol, and expected everyone to bend over backwards for him.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a bit O/T, but Paul Hornung is one of the biggest jerks on the planet. I grew up in Louisville and used to work for an auction company in high school on the weekends. My job was simple...park cars. Hornung was a regular attender of these auctions and was always a jerk to everyone. I asked him one time, very politely, for his autograph and he told me to kiss his a*%. We "accidentally" parked his car in the back of the lot double parked that day. He was notorious for never tipping, which was protocol, and expected everyone to bend over backwards for him. >>

When you consider that Hornung has absolutely no business being a Heisman trophy winner or a football HOF'er, he should never never have anything to be angry about a day in his life.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seriously considering selling my vintage football RC collection. It doesn't have a crown jewel like the PSA 9 1957 Hornung, but a bunch of pre-1975 PSA 8 and PSA 7 stars and post-1975 PSA 9. The only football RCs I will keep are Barry Sanders, but the rest may be heading out to auction.

I knew football was undervalued, looks like the cat is out of the bag.
    Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am seriously considering selling my vintage football RC collection. It doesn't have a crown jewel like the PSA 9 1957 Hornung, but a bunch of pre-1975 PSA 8 and PSA 7 stars and post-1975 PSA 9. The only football RCs I will keep are Barry Sanders, but the rest may be heading out to auction.

I knew football was undervalued, looks like the cat is out of the bag. >>

I'd think long and hard about that decision. The froth in this market is primarily relegated to "crown jewel" cards. If you're looking to liquidate thinking that non-rookie HOF cards in 8 and below will fetch huge prices, I think you'll be in for a major disappointment. I say that as someone who has primarily that very kind of material. If you bought your 8s a while ago, you might get a decent return on those but my guess is that most of them won't even double or come close. 7s and below, apart from a few exceptions, you'll probably just break even or make a few bucks. Of course, I'm just generalizing here and your specific cards may have certain attributes going for it that set them apart (e.g., rare issues, tough rookies, etc.). >>

I bought the majority of my collection at least 3 years ago. I know it has appreciated at least 100%. I bought a PSA 7 1962 Ditka at $225, the last one sold on ebay for $493. That is generally what I am seeing, but I need to do an inventory. I love my collection but I never thought it would appreciate this quickly.
    Mike
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I knew football was undervalued, looks like the cat is out of the bag. >>

I don't know as if that is what's going on, or as if the increase in football is on par with increases in many other segments of the hobby such as HOF RCs, pre-war, and unopened.

<< <i>I'd think long and hard about that decision. The froth in this market is primarily relegated to "crown jewel" cards. If you're looking to liquidate thinking that non-rookie HOF cards in 8 and below will fetch huge prices, I think you'll be in for a major disappointment. >>

Investments are measured in percentage of appreciation/depreciation, not in dollars.

I build sets ranging from PSA 3 to PSA 10, depending on the year, and key cards in even lower grade have seen considerable appreciation, some well in excess of 100%, in the past 2-3 years. Key cards doesn't necessarily mean HOF RCs either, it has happened with popular non-HOF RCs and non-RC stars (i.e. 1950's Bowman Sammy Baugh cards).

What has moved very little are commons or semi-stars in my experience. From a discussion on the PSA forum, player registry sets haven't rebounded fully either, both of which lead me to believe (graded) set collecting isn't as big as it once was.

Snorto~