Home Sports Talk
Options

Why the Yankees should co-retire the #2

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
We all know that the Yankees will have no more single-digit numbers left once this season has concluded.

We also know that it is about money that certain Yankee numbers have been retired recently (like yesterday when Torre's was retired). The debate on whether his number should have been retired is for another time.

I think if the Yankees organization wants to do the right thing, they should co-retire the #2 with Derek Jeter and Frank Crosetti (if you don't know who he was or all of the details, look it up).

You're retiring Jeter's number anyway, so why not honor a Yankee that was a part of the organization for over three decades and was on the team as a player and a coach for more World Series (and more World Series wins) than anyone that ever wore a uniform??

FWIW, I think if it were brought up to Jeter - he's a class enough guy who understands Yankee tradition to say "yes."

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I agree. It would be very similar to recognizing Bill Dickey when Yogi Berra's number was retired. The fact that Frankie Crosetti was not inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame should not be a concern either. Don Mattingly's number was retired by the New York Yankees.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. It would be very similar to recognizing Bill Dickey when Yogi Berra's number was retired. The fact that Frankie Crosetti was not inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame should not be a concern either. Don Mattingly's number was retired by the New York Yankees. >>

Don Mattingly holds a very special place in the hearts of Yankee fans.

It comes down to asking yourself "could you ever envision another future player wearing a certain number ever again when that player's career is over?"

2 (and hopefully the other 2), 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, 10, 15, 16, 23, and 32 - the answer is a resounding "yes."

But 1, 6, 9, 37, 44, and 49 are up for more debate. They are not in the same league as even the secondary part of the first iconic group, and there is history and motive as to why this group of numbers were retired. I can live with 49 and to a lesser extent 37 - but not the others.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don Mattingly holds a very special place in the hearts of Yankee fans. >>

I totally understand and agree. I also feel the same way about Reggie Jackson. He was a hero to many of us when we were children. He will always be remembered as a New York Yankee.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can only retire so many numbers before it starts becoming problematic at some point... unless you want to start going to three digit uniform numbers. image
    I think that number retirement should only be reserved for the best of the best of the best. (See Babe Ruth thread)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012