Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

23 cello packs of 1970 Topps Baseball

23 cello packs of 1970 Topps baseball 6th series PSA graded were purchased from Fritsch on Aug 21. Could some or all of these be destined
to be released from their plastic cages? Did the puchaser have a CU name that starts with a N? I was drooling over these just the other day and wishing I could justify purchasing just one!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the purchaser has a empty display box, which are frickin awesome by the way, and what's 24 packs to go with it

My goal will be one from each series, 3 of the 7 are knocked out soo far, waiting for Fritsch to start listing more 5th series

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt you are going to see any rippage on those, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the purchaser has a empty display box, which are frickin awesome by the way, and what's 24 packs to go with it
    >>

To get wrapped and flip for a profit! Good idea.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe the purchaser has a empty display box, which are frickin awesome by the way, and what's 24 packs to go with it
    >>

To get wrapped and flip for a profit! Good idea. >>

Don't see the financial upside in cracking out PSA 9 Fritsch cellos to fill a raw box.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I wonder what Fritsch could charge for a box if they got some shrink wrap and labels? "From a Sealed Case Straight From Topps." FASCSFT!!!!!

• Options
    Actually, I'm sure if Fritsch were to design their own monmogrammed shrinkwrap to wrap their boxes, it would create a very strong premium in the secondary market, given their provenance. The challenge would be actually getting them to sell the box at the listed price once a buyer expresses interest, LOL..

• Options
    How much do you think a BBCE wrapped 1970 cello box would go for?
    I'm assuming the packs probably sold for, what, $15k?

It's not so outlandish given the crazy premiums full boxes are getting over per pack value.
  • Options

<< <i>How much do you think a BBCE wrapped 1970 cello box would go for?
    I'm assuming the packs probably sold for, what, $15k?

It's not so outlandish given the crazy premiums full boxes are getting over per pack value. >>

1970 Topps is not a particularly scarce year for cellos due to Fritsch's supply, so I don't see even a full box commanding that much more than the sum of its graded pack parts, to the point where cracking them out would be preferrable, given the Fritsch provenance already inherent in the graded packs. Fritsch is a savvy business. I would imagine if the profit motive were there, they'd have gone that route already instead of paying PSA to grade individual packs for them. Of course, in this market, who knows, LOL..

• Options
    Would BBCE wrap a 1970-72 cello box without the individual boxes? I hope not.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, I'm sure if Fritsch were to design their own monmogrammed shrinkwrap to wrap their boxes, it would create a very strong premium in the secondary market, given their provenance. The challenge would be actually getting them to sell the box at the listed price once a buyer expresses interest, LOL.. >>

Since Steve is not allowed to wrap individual packs and PSA only slabs them if the gum is fused to a card I guess Fritsch could make a bundle with their own shrink wrapped packs too. What would demand more of a premium? A PSA 9 pack or a Fritsch wrapped FASCSFT pack?
  • Options

<< <i>Would BBCE wrap a 1970-72 cello box without the individual boxes? I hope not. >>

I would think not. Though PSA doesn't grade the packs without the outer boxes, either, which I never quite understood.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Would BBCE wrap a 1970-72 cello box without the individual boxes? I hope not. >>

I would think not. Though PSA doesn't grade the packs without the outer boxes, either, which I never quite understood. >>

You mean PSA won't grade them without the boxes, but then they don't encapsulate the boxes? Or am I misunderstanding?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, I'm sure if Fritsch were to design their own monmogrammed shrinkwrap to wrap their boxes, it would create a very strong premium in the secondary market, given their provenance. The challenge would be actually getting them to sell the box at the listed price once a buyer expresses interest, LOL.. >>

Since Steve is no longer able to wrap individual packs and PSA only slabs them if the gum is fused to a card I guess Fritsch could make a bundle with their on shrink wrapped packs too. What would demand more of a premium? A PSA 9 pack or a Fritsch wrapped FASCSFT pack? >>

PSA is going to be using a new holder for wax packs which is supposed to render moot the gum issue. At least that's my understanding.

For many unopened collectors, authenticity is more important than a numerical grade, so for those collectors a Fritsch wrapped pack would command a similar premium. For a registry collector, a PSA 9 (or 10) pack would be the choice.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would think not. Though PSA doesn't grade the packs without the outer boxes, either, which I never quite understood. >>

You mean PSA won't grade them without the boxes, but then they don't encapsulate the boxes? Or am I misunderstanding? >>

PSA will not holder a 1970-1972 pack with the outer box (GAI used to, with or without the box). If you submit a 1970-1972 cello in its box to PSA for grading, they will holder the pack and send the box back to you. The box is not necessary for the submission itself.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> The challenge would be actually getting them to sell the box at the listed price once a buyer expresses interest, LOL.. >>

Fritsch reminds me of a high frequency algorithmic stock trader...they view your order, maybe honor a small piece, fade the offer / ask and you can never get the order filled entirely. image >>

Yes, I have called there 3 times placing an order off their web site and they give me a completely different price on the phone.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Did the puchaser have a CU name that starts with a N? >>

Sorry Dennis it wasn't me! Damn someone is depleting my stash of '70 cellos!

I agree with others. Guess someone is making a box. Not sure what the margin would be on that but a cool item nonetheless - if you're into that sort of (unopened) thing.

Nikklos
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Sorry Dennis it wasn't me"

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I never thought of the filling a box angle. I went back for a recount and sure enough it was actually 24 packs bought from Fritsch on the 21st. for
    $13,275. There's a good chance BBCE will be getting a box to authenticate in the near future. It'll be easy to identify by the players on the top of the cellos.
    Just for the record a 25th cello was sold on the 21st by another seller with Banks on front. Any chance the guys at BBCE will read this thread?

Edited to correct a date.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I was contemplating buying one of the 7's, but decided against it, since the centering was not great. Fortunately, Fritch has more. Unfortunately, this will mean the price is going up. image
  • Options

<< <i>Did I once read somewhere that there are ways to tell what cards in are sealed cello packs due to the top and bottom cards ? >>

You can make an educated guess on the top 11 and the bottom 11 based on sequencing from the sheet (see Moran, lol), but the middle 11 cards are a mystery.

• Options

<< <i>Did I once read somewhere that there are ways to tell what cards in are sealed cello packs due to the top and bottom cards ? >>

LOL - the PSA 7 I had contemplated buying had a high probability of a nice surprise, but would have most likely been OC.
  • Options

<< <i>It'll be easy to identify by the players on the top of the cellos. >>

except when it's shrouded in shrink wrap! May as well be rocks in there.

Would still be cool. I would buy it it and rip that wrap right off though!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    I had two of those packs on my watch list for almost a year; guess I shouldn't have procrastinated so much and bought them. I'm cheap I guess and was always waiting on a sale that never came.
  • Options

<< <i>I had two of those packs on my watch list for almost a year; guess I shouldn't have procrastinated so much and bought them. I'm cheap I guess and was always waiting on a sale that never came. >>

They were actually 10% off about two months ago, but that still put them at $400 anyway.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first read this post, my first thought was someone was making a box. If it were me I would probably try to use PSA 8 packs but if they were not available I guess paying for PSA 9 packs to make the box might work out financially as well. I would actually prefer a full box to individual PSA packs (even if they were 9's) as a collector. If the buyer is indeed making a box I would definitely get it wrapped by Steve and perhaps an annotation on the label that the packs were from Fritsch would help long term to identify the provenance of the box in case future resale is needed. I believe the date the packs were purchased fell in a day with quadruple eBay bucks so there is at least some likelihood that the buyer will get a 8% rebate from eBay for the packs purchased which would reduce the cost in making the hypothetical box. That's a lot of hypotheticals but it would stand to be my hypothesis on the matter.
    Steve
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I first read this post, my first thought was someone was making a box. If it were me I would probably try to use PSA 8 packs but if they were not available I guess paying for PSA 9 packs to make the box might work out financially as well. I would actually prefer a full box to individual PSA packs (even if they were 9's) as a collector. If the buyer is indeed making a box I would definitely get it wrapped by Steve and perhaps an annotation on the label that the packs were from Fritsch would help long term to identify the provenance of the box in case future resale is needed. I believe the date the packs were purchased fell in a day with quadruple eBay bucks so there is at least some likelihood that the buyer will get a 8% rebate from eBay for the packs purchased which would reduce the cost in making the hypothetical box. That's a lot of hypotheticals but it would stand to be my hypothesis on the matter. >>

Aren't eBay bucks "capped" to a $500 maximum per quarter?

Dave
  • Options
    PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102

<< <i>

<< <i>I had two of those packs on my watch list for almost a year; guess I shouldn't have procrastinated so much and bought them. I'm cheap I guess and was always waiting on a sale that never came. >>

They were actually 10% off about two months ago, but that still put them at $400 anyway. >>

I missed that.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't eBay bucks "capped" to a $500 maximum per quarter? >>

They very well could be. I wouldn't know as I have never hit the limitimage but even still the buyer is saving $500 if they are using the quadruple bucks bonus.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>When I first read this post, my first thought was someone was making a box. If it were me I would probably try to use PSA 8 packs but if they were not available I guess paying for PSA 9 packs to make the box might work out financially as well. I would actually prefer a full box to individual PSA packs (even if they were 9's) as a collector. If the buyer is indeed making a box I would definitely get it wrapped by Steve and perhaps an annotation on the label that the packs were from Fritsch would help long term to identify the provenance of the box in case future resale is needed. I believe the date the packs were purchased fell in a day with quadruple eBay bucks so there is at least some likelihood that the buyer will get a 8% rebate from eBay for the packs purchased which would reduce the cost in making the hypothetical box. That's a lot of hypotheticals but it would stand to be my hypothesis on the matter. >>

Do the Fritsch packs come with the outer green boxes? I assume Fritsch had them, but PSA won't encapsulate them. Because I don't see how Steve can wrap the cello box without them. At least I hope he wouldn't, since that is how the boxes originally were packed.
  • Options

<< <i> Do the Fritsch packs come with the outer green boxes? I assume Fritsch had them, but PSA won't encapsulate them. Because I don't see how Steve can wrap the cello box without them. At least I hope he wouldn't, since that is how the boxes originally were packed. >>

Fritsch does not send the boxes with the packs. But I am sure there are enough empty boxes on EBay to complete the task.

Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Do the Fritsch packs come with the outer green boxes? I assume Fritsch had them, but PSA won't encapsulate them. Because I don't see how Steve can wrap the cello box without them. At least I hope he wouldn't, since that is how the boxes originally were packed. >>

Fritsch does not send the boxes with the packs. But I am sure there are enough empty boxes on EBay to complete the task. >>

I'm not sure about that, but even if there were, we again get into territory of what one buying such a wrapped box has the right to expect. How happy would you be paying through the nose, cracking it open and finding 24 green boxes with rips, tears and general non-uniform wear? Uggh.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fritsch does not send the boxes with the packs. But I am sure there are enough empty boxes on EBay to complete the task. >>

I'm not sure about that, but even if there were, we again get into territory of what one buying such a wrapped box has the right to expect. How happy would you be paying through the nose, cracking it open and finding 24 green boxes with rips, tears and general non-uniform wear? Uggh. >>

The only person insane enough to crack open a box like that is Chris, lol..

Who's to say also that Fritsch themselves doesnt cherrypick the packs in the boxes? The reality is that the vast majority of vintage boxes are put together to some extent and that has been the case for decades now.

I would agree though that if I'm buying a 1970 cello box, I would hope the outer boxes are as mint as the packs housed within.

• Options

<< <i>The only person insane enough to crack open a box like that is Chris, lol.. >>

I would definitely love to have at it.

Strictly speaking about Fritsch 1970 6th series Cellos - It is possible that Fritsch keeps replenishing the supply but I know for a fact that a lot of the hot packs - at least from this crop -with big potential for Rose, Mays had been bought already. Not to say that there couldn't be gold left in the remaining packs.

Nikklos
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure about that, but even if there were, we again get into territory of what one buying such a wrapped box has the right to expect. How happy would you be paying through the nose, cracking it open and finding 24 green boxes with rips, tears and general non-uniform wear? Uggh. >>

I would think someone who opens the box would be pleasantly surprised by the PSA 8 and 9 quality packs. The outer boxes are pretty to display, but worthless to most collectors.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I would think that the person would not be able to find 24 uniform green boxes to have a box made. And I am quite sure Steve would not authenticate the box if they were not.

But the person may have bought it to offer as a completely graded box--similar to what we have seen. Even though it is not really a box--is it??
  • Options

<< <i>I would think that the person would not be able to find 24 uniform green boxes to have a box made. And I am quite sure Steve would not authenticate the box if they were not.

But the person may have bought it to offer as a completely graded box--similar to what we have seen. Even though it is not really a box--is it?? >>

LOL, who knew this stuff could get so complicated!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think that the person would not be able to find 24 uniform green boxes to have a box made. And I am quite sure Steve would not authenticate the box if they were not.

But the person may have bought it to offer as a completely graded box--similar to what we have seen. Even though it is not really a box--is it?? >>

LOL, who knew this stuff could get so complicated! >>

Maybe it is as simple as someone buying them to give away as Holiday gifts.image