Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Star Wars 12 backs

A little over a year ago I started a new collecting focus on original Star Wars 12 back cards. My goal was to get all 12 but I think I am starting to get priced out of the market with the recent increases in prices. Just thought I would share my small Star Wars collection. I'll update if I add to the collection.

image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]

Comments

• slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    Thanks for the share. Those 12 backs bring back fond memories of being a child of 80s!
    Love love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Ps you think they cost a lot now. My money is on them still having time to sky rocket in price.
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I think you may be right that prices could sky rocket even higher. I was just hoping to finish the set of 12 before that happens. Hopefully I can get a couple more at good prices before the movie excitement starts to kick in next year.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the fact that the prices are jumping. i only have the Obi Wan and a Jawa. I am trying to get a few more then I might switch over to 20 backs. They are still on an original SW card but a bit cheaper. Nice cards by the way.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Any updates on your collections guys ? I just bought my first 12-back this week and wanted share. Anyone on Rebelscum ?

What is rebel scum?
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Nice Stormtrooper pickup! I haven't added anymore to my collection yet but I still plan on completing the set. It's just going to take longer than expected with the strong prices these are getting now. I'm guessing prices will continue to rise as the hype of the new movie release comes up in December.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is rebel scum?
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker >>

Rebel Scum is probably the biggest and best collecting community for Star Wars items on the internet. Come on and join in the conversation, You can learn quite a bit from the forums.

Rebel Scum.Com

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I am on Rebelscum as well and you are right. The people over there have a lot of knowlegde on Star Wars items.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Do you have the same I.D over there ? Mine is Banta_Fodder, Which was supposed to be Bantha_Fodder, but I spelled it wrong when I signed up, but I think most people know what I'm talking about.

• It is nice collection.

<< <i>What is rebel scum? >>

It is also a phrase use by the some Imperial characters.
    My extra/duplicate cards for sale in my eCrater Store: http://elpereles.ecrater.com
    Ty all! I know the phrase just not familiar with the site.
    Anybody need Psa 9 complete set Star Wars 1977 topps 330 cards?
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff! I am a huge Star Wars collector!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
    I haven't been able to pick up any additional 12 backs recently but did want to post my 1977 1st series box. I bought this 1st series box from BBCE about 15 years ago and just sent it back to them a couple weeks ago to get wrapped. Now it is freshly wrapped and looks great!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to see you guys getting into these... My figure collection is mostly loose and ungraded. Im mostly on the cu coin board and over there some old timers that predate grading and are holdouts and don't see the point. I guess I'm one of them in the action figure world.

I only have one 12 back, it's the death squad commander. I liked it although it's punched it's printed before it went PC as the Death Star commander or something or another. I remember paying 150 bucks for it in a random comic store in Denver in 1998-99. Picked up other carded from the other movies too!

I calculated once that an entire 12 back set would be all in at around 10k. Not sure where it is now but it's a little stiff for my blood. With that said I wouldn't think someone would be buried in it and would be fun to build.

I'm sitting happy with 3k in a loose set of vintage SW, Indianna jones, Tron, Clash of Titans and Lord of Rings, plus 3k in the 12inch set complete all bought over 15 years ago, mostly my childhood pieces and rounded out on eBay.

I dig all that have been posted by others.
    That card box is awesome! I have some empty boxes but that's all. Now,the toys, that's a different story image
    edited December 4, 2016 5:04PM

Added one more to the collection. Picked up an AFA 85 R2. This might take me a while but I still plan to complete the set of 12 in AFA 80 or higher.

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Neat! Why aren't the grades higher than an 80 or an 85 considering they aren't punched, have no price stickers on them? Where is the wear on them?

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

The wear on them is relatively minor in my opinion. It could be a small scratch on the card or figure that isn't easily visible. Or AFA might deem that the bubble isnt perfect either. There are many minor issues that they will downgrade for. I believe if you send your figures to AFA for grading they will send you a full list of everything they saw during grading. I bought mine through EBay though so I'm not sure of every detail they saw.

Also AFA is known for giving out very few grades of 90 or above. If you wanted to put together a full set of 12 in a grade of 90 or above it might take a lifetime of searching and over $50,000 since they are so rare.

Afa won't pentelize for Price stickers.