Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Superman 1940 Gum Set w/ Son on 1st Birthday UPDATE: BIG THANK YOU TO jjworm for his SMR on this

As I mentioned before, this is a perfect set for us to build. I don't think he knows what we're doing, since he's only 1, but by the time we get this set finished I think he'll be old enough to know what it is.

Always been a Superman fan. One of the only memories I have of my mother is actually one that my oldest sister tells me about: that she stayed up all night making me a Superman cake on my first birthday. I have less than 10 pictures from my childhood, but a couple are from that day. Using the pics I located the exact cake pan set she used on eBay and stayed up all night making my son the same Superman cake for his. I also gave him the first card in our set, which now is up to 6 cards. Been so busy lately, I meant to post this a few weeks ago but I'm just now getting to it.

I'm looking for PSA album slab pages for us to display these in. Posted that in the Buy Sell Trade section, please keep me in mind if you run across some.

Loving being a dad and looking forward to collecting Superman and Sports Cards with him.

Here's the beginning of this low grade set. As well as pictures of his birthday. Also bought his a custom Barney cake...just in case I screwed the Superman one up image The last pic is of me and him going right for Superman's face!

[URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/mullinspw5/media/superman1940_zpsc5be840a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Awwwww! (: Ps your next card has to be the shark attack one, superman literally throat punches a shark!
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a tremendous set to build. Enjoy the journey
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    This thread reminds me of Bill Simmons National review where he talks about using his son as a beard for his own collecting interests. image

But I hope your ploy works and he becomes a card collector just like his Pops.

Love the Superman set, by the way, even in lower grade they look terrific!

So how did the cake turn out? It *looks* great?

Snorto~
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy these times, our children grow up way to quickly! Good Luck on your Superman set adventure
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Those are some very cool cards Mullins. Have a great time collecting the set with your son.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Patrick ... good job on Daniel's cake. (But it looks like your mom even made the face on your cake ... lol).

Hoping Daniel winds up being just as enthusiastic about building that Superman set as you are. What a cool project to do with your son!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Patrick - very nice pictures of your son!

Great set to collect - I grew up with Superman - couldn't wait for the next month's issue.

Best of luck collecting the set with your son.
    Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

GR: I collect "Jaws" books so that shark one is a must!

elsnorto: Surprisingly, it tasted great. I made two and gave him one on his actual birthday, but at the party (which was held that weekend so my parents could join) nobody touched the second Superman cake....everyone wanted a piece of Barney (I think cutting him may have done some damage to my son). The other is STILL on the counter! We're not slobs...but I'm sorta seeing how long it takes to go really bad. At the moment I named it "Superman , Cake of Steel"

• Options
    this is FANTASTIC!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Wanted to send an update that we've (I've) picked-up 8 more cards and I'll be updating the registry soon!

Also a big THANK YOU to jjworm for sending me his copy of the SMR with the Superman 1940 article. A great read and I learned a little bit about the high number cards in this set. Again, very generous, thank you Jason!!!!!!