Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are the Clad Kennedy's from Chicago the real rarity?

So far the pop report has 947 Gold JFK's with the Chicago label, but 572 for each of the clad P and D JFK's. If this whole "adventure" at the ANA was about the labels, why did the gold get the lions share of the hype? Theories anyone?

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cost of grading the gold as a % vs the coins cost is much lower than for the 2 coin set, which is many times the initial cost of the coins. Also note no 70's yet. The poor condition of these different design coins from regular 2014 business strikes is evident in nicks, scratches and dull surface. Just not worth getting graded. Expect a 70 to be ultra rare if one exists.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So far the pop report has 947 Gold JFK's with the Chicago label, but 572 for each of the clad P and D JFK's. If this whole "adventure" at the ANA was about the labels, why did the gold get the lions share of the hype? Theories anyone? >>

People hate clad.

It doesn't matter if it's rare or not, they hate it all.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The coins look great, and are of good quality. I submitted my set I got at the show and they both came back 67.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rarity......not! PCGS charged $75 per coin to grade them! That spooked a lot of people from submitting. I submitted 2 coins twice and it cost me over $325 when it was all said and done. That is a lot of $$$ for an unpopular clad coin. Luckily I got a 68 and three 67's and made a little money. Overall the quality of the clad coins was poor so if you had a 67 coin you were lucky! I've looked at over 200 of these now and the average coin is probably a 64 or 65. So poor quality and price limited the coins submitted. Noone wants to stuck with a low grade coin in a $75 piece of plastic!!!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    modern mint products have become a speculator's market. JFK's and HOF baseballs will cure a bunch of them.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold didn't get the lion's share of the hype. The "dealers" did. Then the ANA. Then the U.S. Mint. Then the lack of integrity with them all. image Then the gold.

HE>I

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only real rarity is the label, not the coins.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I disagree with the Anti-Cladites.

The Clads are doing just fine from what I can seeimage
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    These Kennedy Clads are different dies from the regular business strikes. I don't understand why the mint is so inconsistent. They can create 70 clad HOF coins but not these special high relief Kennedy clads. It doesn't make sense. I guess the mint decides the amount of quality control involved in each coin released.

I wonder if there are any more 70s of the HOF clad being made from the later production runs?
  • The U.S. mint coin dealer .Taking your tax dollar to make your coins then turn around and sell the coins right back to the taxpayer for profit .Like everything else in the guberment its a business making money on both ends.Has nothing to do with the hobby.
    Mark Anderson
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Casman, the clad Kennedy's are really of nice quality and are very different from the regular strikes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file