Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Revisiting an old unidentified Spanish (?) piece from 1663

I asked about this coin a couple of hundred years ago, but no one had any leads at the time. I stumbled across the coin again while prepping some stuff for eBay.

It appears to be a 16 Maravedis from Spain, 1663. However, the mintmark at left does not correspond to anything listed in Numismaster.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Humm, that is odd I don't seem to be able to find it either.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Attributed to Cordoba here, but not much more info.

Link

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not clear in my book what every variety has for a mint mark. I ran into the same thing looking up a french coin the other day.

They don't all have a photo or scan either. That makes it tough. What is the mintmark on yours? Is it the blob just to the right of the date?

KM #172.2 says Mint Trujillo mint mark : scalloped shell. At the start of the section the don't list a Trujillo mint but they list Toledo was there a mint in Trujillo ? It's not a big town even now is it?
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Attributed to Cordoba here, but not much more info.

Link >>

Well that's more than I knew before. image

Was there a Cordoba mint? Cordoba appears to be a city in south-central Spain.
  • Options
    Cordoba Mint

Link

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is listed in Calico as number 1285. Catalog value is 10 Euros.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.