Home Precious Metals
Options

Is this Heaven?

My spouse is getting the metals bug. She feels obliged to contribute to our fund, our stacking stockpile. She's already sent off for a 5 oz. silver bar and a 1/2 oz. Krugerrand.

Getting the packages, unwrapping, sorting, counting, spreadsheet tallying...all my very visible activities since I've become a stacker early this year have infected my bride.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen such activity inspire relatives or friends. image

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, but they are always looking for someone else to blame when prices drop.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to gold or silver with my wife....if she can't wear it, she could care less.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wifey appreaciates what I do, she likes to see the stuff I get just to know how much I'm 'blowing', kinda. But she prefers the jewelry of course. She has no interest in stacking herself.

Sounds like you've got a bonding project now.image
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I've brainwashed my daughter into the precious metals and coins realm. She actually attends most of the coin shows I go to. I think I can tell she actually has an insterest in it and isn't just doing it to spend time with me and to have a common hobby with her dad...at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but you're getting closer to the bedroom with regards to a spouse. I used to bowl with a guy. He and his wife were two of the nicest people. I cannot recall their names (paul & barbie V. iirc), but the story is like this:

They started pinning up $100 bills in their bedroom. So they worked and worked and once they had wallpapered their entire bedroom, floor to ceiling, and wall to wall, she (the wife) told me that they pulled them all down, and bought their first house… WITH CASH. I know currency collectors would think "WHAT THE _ _ _ _", but at the time, I thought it was one of the coolest things a "couple" could do, together in a bedroom…. and telling me about it in an alley (bowling) image

It's inspiring image… and prudent to do things together.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if she can't wear it, she could care less. >>

Very true, my wife has picked up a few pieces here and there though. Just what ever has the smallest premium or things she can flip on eBay.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your bride should be introduced to the PM forum, because it's mind-expanding to have your preconceptions and assumptions about stacking confronted and questioned from time to time. If she's smart enough to see some benefits to stacking, she's smart enough to benefit from some of the pros vs. cons as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your bride should be introduced to the PM forum, because it's mind-expanding to have your preconceptions and assumptions about stacking confronted and questioned from time to time. If she's smart enough to see some benefits to stacking, she's smart enough to benefit from some of the pros vs. cons as well. >>

Plus we need some chicks in here. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what my bride found out?

That buying is a lot easier and more fun than selling, and buying tends to occur at a relaxed, comfortable pace, you have the excitement of new acquisitions, the fun of ownership, pride in a diverse and growing collection, and folks marketing it to you left and right with the next "new thing" (and scary stories about society collapsing to a barter economy, of the dollar going "poof", about how they're running out of PMs because everybody can't get enough of these trinkits), but then when you go to sell, you're faced with the WORK of trying to sell your prized collection for "what it's worth" (i.e retail piece by piece, for the "collector premium") rather than getting "ripped off" unloading the stuff wholesale to someone who wants to get paid for the time and effort of piecing it out or sending it to the refiner (who wants his cut, too) for melting into the next "new thing" in PMs, and that usually, if you need the money back out of the metal investment for some other purpose, you kind of need it all at once and don't have the luxury of listing it bit by bit on ebay or the BST because you need the money because you're going to be busy doing something in your life and don't really have all this extra time to photograph, list, package, ship, account for, pay taxes on, and generally handle and move around a big heavy collection of silver bullion.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    That's what u have gld n slv 4...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

there goes your best way of hiding cash for the after divorce period

Well someone had to say it image