Home Precious Metals
Options

hey you Geiger bar fans...question

APMEX via eBay is offering 100g bars at spot +$6. That seems way high, but is it a good price? They do seem to be selling at that rate all be it on eBay, but is that the premium rate they typically go for?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's with the metric nonsense lately anyway?

I see a need for 1kg bars between 10 oz which is a great size and 100oz which seems too large. What is the need for 100 gram bars though? Folks that think 1 oz bars are too small but 5 oz bars are too big? image

On a related note , I don't believe any bar deserves a set premium over spot after the first sale. It's not like owner number 13 is re-striking it before he passes it to number 14 . I'm not talking about collectible bars I mean common silver bars. If you look at APMEX or any other site they always say $2 per ounce over spot or $3.49 per ounce as if striking 1 10 oz bar takes exactly as much work as striking 10 1oz bars. image

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's with the metric nonsense lately anyway?

I see a need for 1kg bars between 10 oz which is a great size and 100oz which seems too large. What is the need for 100 gram bars though? Folks that think 1 oz bars are too small but 5 oz bars are too big? image

On a related note , I don't believe any bar deserves a set premium over spot after the first sale. It's not like owner number 13 is re-striking it before he passes it to number 14 . I'm not talking about collectible bars I mean common silver bars. If you look at APMEX or any other site they always say $2 per ounce over spot or $3.49 per ounce as if striking 1 10 oz bar takes exactly as much work as striking 10 1oz bars. image >>

Geiger is a European company and their bars are made for the European market although they also make Troy ounce bars for the US market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    They also have a 50g, 250g, and 500g as well.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Get the nice wooden box too (and fill it up)...right Zubes? image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    People actually buy this Hugo Boss stuff???...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    If the premiums were all the same, I would be buying a lot of 100g, however, they are way over priced. The sweet spot for Geiger bars is the 10oz at $1.09-1.29 over and the 100oz at 1.09.
    I've been buying at 10oz bars lately and have almost filled up a box (45). I also bought a box of the kilos when silver was in the $18. I really like their 500g bar too, but, like the 100g, over priced.
    I'm going to keep buying 10oz bars with an occasional 100oz here and there for the next 10-15 years. Sticking to the 10oz bars is always a safe bet.

*As a side note for silver Geiger bar collectors. I finally bought a black light and can confirm that only the kilo and 100oz bars have the UV varnish (Geiger logo & 2013) on the back of the bar. My 100g, 10oz, 250g and 500g bars did not show the UV varnish.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>If the premiums were all the same, I would be buying a lot of 100g, however, they are way over priced. The sweet spot for Geiger bars is the 10oz at $1.09-1.29 over and the 100oz at 1.09.
    I've been buying at 10oz bars lately and have almost filled up a box (45). I also bought a box of the kilos when silver was in the $18. I really like their 500g bar too, but, like the 100g, over priced.
    I'm going to keep buying 10oz bars with an occasional 100oz here and there for the next 10-15 years. Sticking to the 10oz bars is always a safe bet.

*As a side note for silver Geiger bar collectors. I finally bought a black light and can confirm that only the kilo and 100oz bars have the UV varnish (Geiger logo & 2013) on the back of the bar. My 100g, 10oz, 250g and 500g bars did not show the UV varnish. >>

I have 5 of the 10oz Geiger bars and all have the UV markings on the back.

Edit: It has 2014 so they may have just started the 10oz markings this year.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    APMEX@Ebay has lower premiums on the 50 gram bars. I doubt you'll be able to recoup premiums, especially for a product that has no mintage limits. I've found it hard to even recoup premiums on pamp silver. If I'm buying bullion, I will stick to the low premium stuff. If you want the possibility of making money on premium increases, go for limited mintage government bullion.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options

<< <i>If the premiums were all the same, I would be buying a lot of 100g, however, they are way over priced. The sweet spot for Geiger bars is the 10oz at $1.09-1.29 over and the 100oz at 1.09.
    I've been buying at 10oz bars lately and have almost filled up a box (45). I also bought a box of the kilos when silver was in the $18 last year. I really like their 500g bar too, but, like the 100g, over priced.

*As a side note for silver Geiger bar collectors. I finally bought a black light and can confirm that only the kilo and 100oz bars have the UV varnish (Geiger logo & 2013) on the back of the bar. My 100g, 10oz, 250g and 500g bars did not show the UV varnish.

I have 5 of the 10oz Geiger bars and all have the UV markings on the back.

Edit: It has 2014 so they may have just started the 10oz markings this year. >>

Blackbeard,
    I stand corrected. You are right, nice catch! I pulled out my box and can see the 2013 and 2014 on the 10oz bars...barely! My black light is weak and didn't see it on the two 10oz bars that I had just received from Apmex a couple days ago.
    I also looked again and still do not see it on the 100g, 250g or 500g though.
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    The UV marking on the back are a nice touch. I bought one a while back after hearing opinions on these bars and once I bought one they fast became my favorite 10oz bar and keep grabbing them here and there. Very well made. They should put the UV on all of them 100 grams and up.
  • Options

<< <i>APMEX@Ebay has lower premiums on the 50 gram bars. I doubt you'll be able to recoup premiums, especially for a product that has no mintage limits. I've found it hard to even recoup premiums on pamp silver. If I'm buying bullion, I will stick to the low premium stuff. If you want the possibility of making money on premium increases, go for limited mintage government bullion. >>

The 10oz bars are pretty competitively priced with other 10oz bars. Not the lowest premiums but also not as high as the premium expected for the quality difference. I think they are good value for the money. The piece of mind with the safety features is worth a couple extra bucks in my opinion.
  • Options
    I agree completely and only collect Geigers bars as well for that very reason.