Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT - need computer help

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recently I have been getting a lot of pop up ads when I go online. It is getting to a point that I get them every 30 seconds or so. It has become very annoying to the point I'm spending less time online because of them. I'm using Windows 7 with IE something. When I go into Tools it says my Pop up blocker is on. It isn't working.

Anyone know of an effective pop up blocker out there?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I use Mozilla Firefox, and I can't remember the last time I saw a pop-up ad.

LINK

I would also do a malware scan; you may have a virus which is producing the pop-ups.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would also do a malware scan; you may have a virus which is producing the pop-ups. >>

Definitely this. I use IE on several computers running Win7 and have no issues with pop-ups. You probably have malware which is causing it.
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Yep, it sounds like malware. My mom has trouble with that. Malwarebytes is a good product.

Some of those malware programs can be tricky to fully remove though.

Malwarebytes
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This definitely sounds like malware. Threats today have changed their modus operandi from the malware of ten years ago - no longer do they try to destroy the system: now they look to profit at the user's expense, by leading them down the path of clicking on ads or spying on their information.

While popups may seem fairly benign and just irritating, these days, they can be indicative of a fairly intricate infection. Ironically, some of the most complicated malware which entrenches itself deepest in your system exists solely for the purpose of showing popups!

Nothing is perfect but MalwareBytes should help and if it doesn't, send me a PM. I've worked in the antimalware industry for the last ~15 years on the engineering side and am happy to help anyone out!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Since everyone seems to agree it's a malware problem, I suggest you download the free version of superantispyware LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm trying MalwareBytes and hopefully this will do the trick.

SmEagle1795 thanks for the offer. Hopefully I won't have to take you up on it.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaan--Same has happened to me. It wasn't as bad as yours, but it was annoying. I had my computer guy come into my office but not yet at my home. He ran MalwareBytes at work and it worked, but I still get an occasional pop up. I'm glad you asked the question, because I was wondering if it was from this site, but if most folks are not experiencing the problem, I'll assume that it is my computer.

Tom

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I use Chrome and run AVG (free version). I ever visit a few trusted websites, don't open odd looking emails et cetera.

I would use the "nuclear option" wipe your hard drive, re-install windows and install AVG first.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adblock plus.

Free.

Works on all platforms.

Blocks banner and just about every ad, including the videos before YouTube videos.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok--I ave Firefox and I just ran Malwarebytes at home. I'll see what happens but if it is like the office, an occasional pop-up will show. Then, I'll try adblock.

Tom

• Options
    Fingers crossed, so far so good with Malwarebytes.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firefox ,but not the newest version I use 26.0 . Later versions break my livegold toolbar

I use noscript to block javascript,
    I use adblockplus to block ads
    I use HTTPS-everywhere to force sites to use the secure version of a page if there is one.
    I use privacy badger to stop up the cracks between all the others

it's a jungle out there image