Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 1956 Topps Red Sox team white back or gray back?

Just looking at this card in my set. Looks like a white back to me, but it says gray back. If it is white back, how can I get the holder changed without costing me a lot of money in shipping, etc.?

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0004-3.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0005-1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    It is the white back variety. Grading label is wrong. White back cards in the range of 101 to 180 can bring up to a 25% premium.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact PSA. They SHOULD fix it for free and free shipping as well (or at least some kind of voucher).

"Mechanical error"

Good luck.

That's a VERY nice card, only three grade higher, all three are "7's". Only 22 white backs of this card have been graded.

This could be a very valuable card Ted Williams collectors should need this one for the Master Set.

SWEET!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA makes mech errors on their labels all the time, and you have one there. It is relatively easy to send in and have them fix it for free. You'll just pay to ship it to them but they'll send you a voucher to cover your shipping cost and the fix and return shipping are free.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact PSA. They SHOULD fix it for free and free shipping as well (or at least some kind of voucher).

"Mechanical error"

Good luck.

That's a VERY nice card, only three grade higher, all three are "7's". Only 22 white backs of this card have been graded.

This could be a very valuable card Ted Williams collectors should need this one for the Master Set.

SWEET! >>

The POP report for white and gray backs are inaccurate since PSA did not always note the white or gray back specifications.

Jeremy
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Hey JoeBanzai, I thought it might be a little more than 25-50% over gray back. Also, I have another one that will likely grade 5 (EX) and a National team that might grade 6 and a Berra that will likely grade 3 or 4. Thanks for the good news.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    And MantleFan23, 59Horsehide, and others, thanks for your input and help as well.

• Options

<< <i>The POP report for white and gray backs are inaccurate since PSA did not always note the white or gray back specifications.

Jeremy >>

True, but ALL the pop reports are inaccurate. What they show is all the information available right now. From my experience with the Senators Team and Harmon Killebrew cards form the same year that have both backs, the "White Backs" are EXTREMELY hard to find in high grade. My Killebrew white PSA 5 is the highest graded.

Could there be better ones out there.............sure, until we see them, the information we have strongly indicates this is a scarce card.

Not sure how aggressive the Williams collectors are out there, but even with the lack of completely accurate reports this card could bring some nice money.

It's never a good idea to get too excited though.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    I won't get too excited, but I do have a nice wb Nationals team that I will soon get graded.

Two questions:

1. What are the other rare white backs? I frequently see white back commons that aren't even bid on.

2. In the PSA online price guide, I don't see wb grades distinguished. JoeBanzai, how do you know that there are no cards of Killebrew graded higher than 5?

• Options

<< <i>I won't get too excited, but I do have a nice wb Nationals team that I will soon get graded.

Two questions:

1. What are the other rare white backs? I frequently see white back commons that aren't even bid on.

2. In the PSA online price guide, I don't see wb grades distinguished. JoeBanzai, how do you know that there are no cards of Killebrew graded higher than 5? >>

1. I think the second series cards 101-180 are the ones that are scarce, but I am not sure. From the PSA online priceguide; "Note: Please keep in mind that, in some cases, PSA started recognizing certain varieties within specific sets long after the company began grading the issue. As a result, some of the population data may not reflect accurate numbers since there may have been significant amounts of cards graded before PSA began noting the variety on the PSA label and in the PSA database. As more and more hobbyists re-holder their previously-graded cards to reflect the new information, the more accurate the data will become."

2. PSA population report lists card #164 Harmon Killebrew White Back 2 (PSA1), 1(PSA2Q), 1 (PSA2.5), 5 (PSA3), 1(PSA4Q), 11 (PSA4), 8(PSA5). 29 total cards graded.

• Options
    Got the label switched by PSA at no cost and free shipping, and sold it on eBay for a nice price.

• Options
    Good for you!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Dave! Glad to hear it. How is your family doing? I hope well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.